Chain Breaker

GoldenMotor.com

lilffihn

Oct 18, 2009
Winona MN (southeast MN)
ok im almost done with my project....the las thing i need to do is get the chain fitted right.......well and get gas but w/e.....i need to know where i should get a chain breaker from that will work on the 415 chain.....will the park tool ct-5 work?????..what site should i get it from?????? thanks i really want to ride but i can't until i get this done....

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
You don't need a chain breaker. I just use a small socket slightly larger than the pin to set the chain on, then pound the pin until it's flush with the chain and use a punch to knock it the rest of the way out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Lilffihn,
Not all of us use a chain breaker. Some, like me, grind the ends of the pins flush with the cheek plate then punch the pins out, some simply punch without grinding. Either way works eliminating the need for a tool. Remember that with a roller chain you'll need to remove two links to get the master link to work. It requires two rollers on the ends of the chain. Hope this helps get you on the road. Now go get some gas, mix it at 20:1 and ride. Get back to us with the results, and pictures. Ride careful and have fun.
Tom

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think I'd at least invest in a punch. A nail will bend pretty easily, which can be frustrating. I've used a nail set when I couldn't fine the punch.
SB

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
k thanks but how can i get the chain on right now i cant seem to be able to turn the sprocket easily enough to figure out how long it needs to be...
I assume you're talking about the small engine sprocket? Pull the clutch lever, & use a flat tip screwdriver to turn the sprocket & feed the chain through!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Also it will turn more easily if you first remove the spark plug. Most kits come with a tooldfor turning that. It looks like a spark plug socket. Or if you have a socket set, find one that fits. Turn the sprocket as you feed the chain in.
SB