2 cycle mix ?????????'s

GoldenMotor.com

HORNSGALORE

Jan 9, 2012
Nipomo CA
I've heard some good reviews on Lucas Smokeless mix and I went and bought some but havent ran anything yet. Does anyone have any input on this type? My bike is smoking a fair amount with maxum 2 cyle oil and I'm running 16:1 still as i'm almost done with break in. Any suggestions from you that are more experienced than myself? Thanks.........

blakie

Jan 8, 2012
kerry
i tought 26 to 1 was good enough of a mix would it make a difference 2 drive it on a really long run 30 odd miles

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I use the Lucas semi synthetic oil at 32-1. My 3 bikes smoke a little under hard acceleration. I've always liked Lucas products but at 16-1 or even 24-1 I imagine a lot of oil coming out the exhaust. I run 32-1 regardless if the engine is new or old and never had a problem no matter how many miles the trip is, and I live in AZ with 113+ temps in the summer.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
16:1 is too much oil. Throw those kit instructions away and listen to the folks here.
Move down to 32:1. You've probably already run your engine enough to bypass the recommended break-in 24:1 mix.

2 stroke engines will always produce a little smoke, unless you choose to run one of the synthetics or Opti-2 where the mix is in the 80 to 100:1 area.

Here's some reading for you > http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...otorbicycling.com/f4/2-cycle-mix-s-36362.html

Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
16:1 is too much oil even for the break in period. It will smoke alot with that much oil too.
24:1 is good for break in but will still smoke some.
32:1 after break in is the most commonly used ratio and works very well.
That said, after break in is completed if you decide to run an oil that is designed for higher ratios such as 50:1 or 100:1, use the ratio that is recommended by the oil manufacturer.

Stay away from outboard engine pre-mix oils as they are designed for water cooled engines which have different thermal requirements than air cooled engines.

steptoe1111

Dec 2, 2011
uranus
hey guys what about castor oil that stuff was the bees knees years ago because it can withstand a much higher burn temperature without loosing its lubrication properties
they use to use castor oil as the benchmark referance to grade all other motor oils...
all the pro dirtbikers run it in there high performance two strokes

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
While castor oil is still available and is used in some blends today, it is dated technology.
Sorta like comparing an automotive halogen headlight to an HID headlight.
Both work very well for the intended application but one is clearly better than the other.

Maxima 927 is an excellent castor blend, and I use it. (Halogen reference)
Opti2 is the latest craze with excellent reviews (HID reference)

I haven't used opti2 yet, and I don't have a vehicle with HID headlights, but I want both as IMO (careful here) they are much better than yesteryear's best technology.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I've been running 16:1 for maybe 8 miles or so. It only smokes as far as I can tell when I'm sitting in one place at idle. My idle is rather high though since my throttle cable pulls it up a bit to much when at rest.

Is there any downfall to running to much oil? other than smoke.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Fouled spark plugs, heavy carbon build up on pistons and combustion chamber, less power, and it can be messy from the tail pipe/muffler.
The kit instructions, for some reason, assume that instead of oil formulated for 2 stroke engines, you'll be running motor oil, like 30 weight. Maybe that's what they'd use in China if our little engines were legal there but with all of the good quality oils available today there's no reason to use anything but. And no more than 24:1, preferably 32:1.
Tom