my testimate to poor hardware on china girls

GoldenMotor.com

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
well, i had to drag my bike home 4 blocks because the rear mounting bolts broke and the chain caught in the front sprocket due to the engine shifting position. the bolts and nuts that come with these are about as good as a pineapple up the arse. unless you like that sort of thing............. lol jk

so i called mcmaster carr and bought some threaded rod i will pick up tomorrow. didn't realize that they are a big supplier for companies and such so i had to get my mom to use her credit card, for a $2.30 item! they were the only place that had 6mm rod though.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
well, i had to drag my bike home 4 blocks because the rear mounting bolts broke and the chain caught in the front sprocket due to the engine shifting position. the bolts and nuts that come with these are about as good as a pineapple up the arse. unless you like that sort of thing............. lol jk

so i called mcmaster carr and bought some threaded rod i will pick up tomorrow. didn't realize that they are a big supplier for companies and such so i had to get my mom to use her credit card, for a $2.30 item! they were the only place that had 6mm rod though.
That is exactly why I wrote up this page.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I've had good luck at Ace Hardware for hardened 6mm bolts (grade 8.8 and 10.8)- I don't like using threaded rod except where absolutely needed ( head studs ). With bolts you don't have to worry about the nuts stripping on you and its hard to locate "hardened" threaded rod in 6mm- even Copper State nut and bolt had to order that for me. I keep a supply on hand because I refuse to sell a bike with the junk hardware these engine kits come with.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I've had good luck at Ace Hardware for hardened 6mm bolts (grade 8.8 and 10.8)- I don't like using threaded rod except where absolutely needed ( head studs ). With bolts you don't have to worry about the nuts stripping on you and its hard to locate "hardened" threaded rod in 6mm- even Copper State nut and bolt had to order that for me. I keep a supply on hand because I refuse to sell a bike with the junk hardware these engine kits come with.
I get rid of the cheap Chinese first and foremost as stated. Since I have no problem acquiring all thread in a grade 8.8 here in Calera. What I like about all thread is I bottom the studs and back out 1/8 turn, this way (after running a tap to the bottom) I know that the stud is catching all the threads I want. Everything is secured with lock nuts. I have never experienced a pulled stud or a striped stud/nut in 3 years on 6 builds. I do not use lock washers on the head studs, just flat washers, the other studs get lock washers. I also like to double nut the engine mounting studs. Anything over 8.8 is overkill in these cheap cast aluminum cases, the cast can't take the torque that a 8.8 fastener can....my .02

Last edited:

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
thanks. i ended up not being able to pick it up, so a went to ace and got some 7/32 rod and sent it through a Harbor Freight die. one **** of a job, but i worked. then a week later Mcmaster shipped the rod to me! now i have it for my next build i guess