Somethin a lil different.... In progress...

GoldenMotor.com

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey guys,
So Im new to both the forum and the whole MB scene so this is my first build and its comin along pretty well so far. I still have a long ways to go but the "look" im after is starting to come together now.
Basically im really into the hot rod, and cafe racer scene, and im really a fan off "less is more" and making a unique but bold statement with just a simple but really cleanly done build.....so thats what im shooting for.
Ive never seen anyone thats built on one of these Sims frames as of yet (although there are some very similar bikes out there) so I thought it was a good base for a build. I also like how low the seat is as the frame dips back quite low towards the seat tube. I just wanted a clean old school lookin bike that im gonna ride the **** outta on a daily basis.
The engine is just a chinese 66cc but I was very impressed with the overall quality of the kit.....prob just lucked out on that one.
I still have a LOT of work to do so I will keep you posted as things progress further. Thanks for lookin and I welcome your feedback and input both good and bad....just keep in mind im not finished yet ;)
-Dan

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congratulations. You've built another one of those bikes that just have that 'LOOK'. It sits right and has a great profile. I hope it performs for you as good as it looks.
Have fun, ride safe.
Tom

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Yup the exhaust is the first thing to go. Im planning on doing an expansion chamber, and then running a simple straight tail pipe to about the rear sprocket. Next thing to go as funds allow is the tank......nothing against the peanut tank, it just doesnt quite fit with the low long flow of the bike...... I may do a fibreglass or alum. pod to hide a tank between the upper and lower main tubes. But untill then I was thinkin of somethin quick and easy like hiding a PVC tank in a round leather bar bag? I dunno, if anyone has any ideas of simple easy ways to hide or clean up the tank, im all ears! Its hard to make it look like "another bike with a 66cc motor kit on it". I mean dont get me wrong cruisers look great with these kits, I'd like to set it apart a bit though. Everyone's custom builds on here are very inspining to me, so thanks!

Mainly above all Im building it to be ridden daily so i gotta fit practicality and reliability in the formula too like so many of you guys' custom builds have done. Thanks for the input :)
-Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan,
Have you considered a motorcycle fuel tank? There are quite a few small bike tanks out there that lend themselves well to a motorized bicycle. Check the smaller cc dirt bikes, 50 to 80cc, preferably older ones with steel tanks. Just a suggestion.
Tom

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Bring Ding Ding D-D-D Ding Din D-D-Dang Ding BRRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Well I went over everything and re tightened and re aligned again in preperation to fire, and I soon realized how easily those cheap chinese bolts (Sprocket and motor mount) strip. So I made a run to the hardware store and replaced all bolts and nuts with stronger bolts and NyLocks.....I STRONGLY RECCOMEND THAT ALL NEW BUILDERS DO THIS! Its very cheap (well under $10) and gives you much more peace of mind, and hey if your bolting it all together for the first time, then may as well do it right off the bat. Also if your just building youk kit, as many before me have said, Replace your spark plug with an NGK or Champion as the plug that came with my kit....as well as prob lots of yours too....had a cracked ground electrode (part that sets the gap) and had i not noticed this and used the plug, that would have broken off while running and who knows what damage it woulda done to my cylinder/piston.

So after much anticipation, I wheeled her outta the garage she has come to know so well this past week, and I pedaled off down the road. First try the back wheel just locked up when I dumped the cluctch....second try no fire, so I put the choke on a bit....Third try she lit up with no problem at all and ran perfectly! I now know what all of you veterans mean when you say that after all of the headaches and frustration, the first time she fires and rides makes it all woth while! So ill be working out a few lil things now and tryin to dampen some vibration but other than that, IM OFFICIALLY PART OF THE CREW NOW!!! YAHOO!
So to all that are having issues on their first build as I was, just stick with it cuz its all worth while when your cruising down the road gettin all kinds of funny looks.....trust me.
-Dan

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
That looks real nice, keep an eye on that chain, though. You'll have to shorten it here soon, real soon. ;)