The "Black Horse" Hybrid Stretch

GoldenMotor.com

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Hey everybody. Got a few teaser pics of my stretch build(sorry they are small, from a friend's cell phone). I've put my old 67cc on it to get around right now, before I start getting it ready for putting many upgrades to it. First I plan on putting the 5.8HP Morini on it(want better gas mileage then the 9HP). I would go 4-stroke but I just love the sound of a loud 2-stroke. Must be something in my blood. All those motorcross days spent in TN. Also I plan on putting an electric drive on it to cruise around in the city. I think a 900w with a high torque motor controller will be sufficient. Can't quite decide if I'm going to throw a trike kit on it yet. If I do I will mount the motor, controller and batteries in a self made box. The motor will go to a freewheel on the rear axle down through the bottom of the box. I would put a 3spd internally geared hub with a disc brake adapter for pedal and motor, then mount a sprocket on the hub and run the chain to a freewheel on the rear axle, so only the rear axle will spin when under electric power. The advantage of a hybrid drive, is I can tool around town quiet and proper, then rip it up with the Morini on long drives and in hilly areas. Dual battery banks are a must, as it will increase my 'eTime', plus I can be charging one bank while I use the other. Anyone ever thought of mounting an Air-X marine wind generator on a bike. They get 200w at 28MPH and can sustain up to 110MPH winds. Now that's an alternative way to charge batteries. I may think of a way to mount one on the tear drop trailer I am also planning for a long trip equipment/tent/clothes/supplies 'trunk'. This build will take some months and come in stages but I will try and capture as much of it as I can and will keep you guys in the loop. Named the bike after the small bar I worked at in San Francisco, The Black Horse London Pub. Hopefully it will take me back there. L8R.

Attachments

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Major Parts List
5.8 HP Morini Motor
Custom Gas Tank
Chopper Springer Fork
3spd Sram internal with 6 hole disc mount
Disc brake adapter with 56T sprocket
Heavy Duty black trike adapter with dual freewheels
4in Wide x 24in rear trike wheels
2.5in Wide x 24in front wheel with dual disc brakes
900w Electric Motor with High Torque Controller
Dual 36v 10Ah Battery Pack

I have a question for anyone who might know the answer...
Is there adapters I could put on the rear trike axle to add dual discs to it. I figured there might still be enough room between the pedal/motor freewheel and the electric motor freewheel to still fit at least one disc brake, but two would be even better. You try stopping a 250lb man on a trike with two battery banks, a 20lb italian motor, gas tank, etc. plus a trailer pushing up against it. That takes some strength. I might even put disc brakes on the trailer. Thanks for any help, L8R.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Very ambitious project Darren! I'd think it would be fairly easy to mount a disc on either side of the main gas drive sprocket with nuts and bolts (maybe tubing) and fabricate some caliper mounts onto the frame. Please keep us posted!

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Well after further thought, I just don't see the justification of dealing with a 2-stroke on a long trip(5000miles+). Having to carry extra mix oil, mixing can, etc. So I am going to go with the Dax in-frame Titan kit. 4-Strokin'!!! Also I can't give up the two wheel experience either so I am going to pass on a trike conversion, too. But I am going to still go with a hybrid design. I was looking at the bike today and realized there was plenty of room to mount a motor behind the seat post and above the rear frame, not on a rack. Also this gives me an option of running a chain down through the top to a sprocket on the right side!!! I have two options then... can I find a double freewheel that will take a 18T for the pedal and a 36 to 44T for the electric drive? I plan on using Stanton's dual threaded hub that way I can also have a freewheel on the left side sprocket(engine is pull start). This way the electric doesn't have to pull any other chains. If I have to go with a a single freewheel socket on the right side then I could go with a freewheel in the pedals, but I would rather figure out how to run a dual freewheel on the right side of my wheel. Any suggestions? My friend and I have been thinking that using the electric motor to accelerate to speed, then switching to gas will give the bike a low mpg, while not having to rely on the electric for cruising(greater battery life). What do you guys think? L8R.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
A look at what the bike will look like, except I am putting chopper forks on the front. Notice motor placement behind/under the seat allows for the right side drive chain to pass through the top of the rear wheel arms. I put the ghost image of the ammo boxes in there, one to house batteries, the other for the controller. This is also convenient considering they are close to the motor, I will have less wire to run. Also stuck a chopper tank on there, whoo hoo!!!

Attachments

Last edited: