An Alternative to Zip Ties?

GoldenMotor.com

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX
Howdy all,

I am looking for suggestions for alternatives to zip ties to secure cables and wires. What have you folks used?

Thanks,
J

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Duct tape!! just kidding but it depends on your end goal. Duct tape could be the answer depending but I have a feeling your going for a cleaner look right?

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
For the handle bars I got some NOS probably no longer made chromed steel clips that snap around the bars, for the rest, I'm in trouble.

Mike

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX
Duct tape!! just kidding but it depends on your end goal. Duct tape could be the answer depending but I have a feeling your going for a cleaner look right?
Yes, I want something that isn't plastic or looks cheap. I want my bike to look like it could have been built in the forties or fifties.

Thanks

Rotor

May 24, 2009
Tacoma Wa
You can do some amazing work with color matched zip ties, I will try and take some pictures of how we use them in helicopters.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
40's or 50's??? Hmm do you know a machinist or a machine shop nearby? I'd get custom parts from 20 65 bucks for most stuff. I would recommend getting some custom bolt down clips. Probably out of alum, but then would try to make them mimic older metal. OO it looks really good in my minds eye. Make them look like older steel bolt down rings....it would be sweet.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
how about old style radiator hose clamps? they arn't worm clamps, they have 2 sides and a bolt and a nut that runs thru them to tighten them down.... used in the 40's and 50's.. Chevs of the 40s Store has them in various sizes.. a 5/8" heater hose clamp would work for the handlebars

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
I have used clear packing tape over a chrome frame to lash the small wires from the CDI and kill switch. I cut the tapes width down to 1 inch to make it look like nothing is there. After a few months the tape becomes discolored if oil or fuel gets on it. Easy to replace so far I've had it since Sept, the tape is very tough.

Tabogon

Jul 2, 2009
VA
If you want to have the old strapping look, check out BAND-IT Catalog

They have pretty much every type of strapping you could need, not too sure of pricing though. Another way is to find a shipping store and either ask them for scraps of their strapping, or you could even pay a small fee and have them strap what you need there.
Hope it helps.