50cc GY6 on a Bicycle??

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Question:

The Wall Autowheel, licenced to Smith in America. An attachment which was a self contained motor and transmission, fitted to a pivot on the side of the bicycle, close enough in that it doesn't affect steering much. Why not just do the same today with a scooter engine and transmission?

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's a good idea L2!

The pivot might could be mounted thru pivot point on a rear suspension bike, though pedal interference might be an issue. The weight of the unit would probably be sufficient to offer positive drive. On a rigid frame bike it could be bracketed in the rear axle area, or a rig could be made to attach to both sides of the axle as a form of push trailer. Hook up would be as simple as a throttle cable, fuel line and basic wiring. Mount a battery to the unit and you have electric start/charging/lighting.

Pretty cool idea! at around $250-300 its no bank breaker, and the 49cc version should be legal for most.

Good thinking!

Austritch

Apr 16, 2016
NC
I am doing a re-design. I have ordered a TMS long case GY6 from Amazon and am waiting for it in the mail. I will keep y'all posted as things unfold. Thank you all for the great advice so far!

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
Heres a couple of pics of my scoot. Chose the Ruckus style as the engine is instantly accessible. Paid $699(plus shipping of course) and probably spent more than that in mods. You can forget the iffy experiences with the CG engines with the GY6. This is of course a Honda designed unit and I understand in the latter years of usage by Honda some were made in China, so they (then) were built to Hondas standards. Still seem to be. Some times the scooter part is a bit crude in execution but the engines seem to all be of good quality. I have run the absolute crap out of this one with no issues. The engine is modded with a big bore kit, high comp big valve head, perf cam, 30mm carb with free flow intake clocked to face the front, unlimited CDI, header/free flow exhaust and a hi-torque starter to handle the increased compression. The CVT has just about as many upgrades. Swapping weights is a snap(you can even mix em) to get just the curve you want. I also upgraded the stock wheels to 3" wide version with sticky higher speed rated tires, along with the brakes. Handling is excellent for a scoot.
Acceleration is immediate and I surprise a lot of M/C riders for the fist couple of hundred feet at traffic lights.

Somebody please do a build bike around one of these!
You paid $700 total for the whole scooter? Where'd you buy it from?

Austritch

Apr 16, 2016
NC
Hello all! It has been a while but, I did get a brand new GY6 150 in the mail. I completely gutted the "horrendous" 50cc build and started over. The new design involves a single speed, auto clutch, GY6 150cc (which I cut in half to fit), chain driven to a sprocket that will take the place of the rear disc brake rotor. For some reason I cannot post my pics directly to the board, but they are in my photo album. The motor will be mounted utilizing the seat down tube. What do you think of the new design? Thoughts? Concerns?

Reactions: Dan