Illinois,,,, I just came back from the Illinois Secretary of State Police station.

GoldenMotor.com

smemo666

Jun 20, 2011
Chicago
I just came back from the Illinois Secretary of State Police
After all that mix info rolling in the forum about the State of Illinois rules for the MB I took the time myself to go directly to ask.
I first went to the Secretary of State office located along the 290 express. After asking for the specific person that will be able to help me with the MB rules and regulations, the lady gave me the address for the Illinois Secretary of State Police District 1 located on Villa Park.
I went there and the Office that attended me was pretty knowledgeable about the NBs.
He first asked me if I did disabled the pedals? Because it need the pedals in working order in order to be considerate as a Low Speed Gas Bicycle.
Then he asked me the CCs? 49cc
Then he asked about the HPs that should be 1 or less.
I told the officer that no engine with 49cc will do less than 1hp ever. He told me, “just don’t make it public”.
Last question, are you driving it at more than 20 mpr?
So after the interrogation he told me that based on the actual codes on the state my mb was considerate as a Low Speed Gas Bicycle and that I should follow the rules for a bicycle on the road.
I asked him if there were the need to register it in order to avoid conflicts with the police in Chicago. He told me that there is no need and also no way to register it as anything else as a simple bicycle. Neither the enforcement of having to have a license, insurance and plate.
He then repeated the same statement.
“Follow the bicycle rules, do not go more than 20 mph and if any officer stops you then politely give him the next codes number in order to explain yourself better and for his better understatement. If the police wants to be an a,,,,so then the judge will follow the rules”.

I hope that I’m clear in my statement. English is not my first languish and when I write I can make mistakes. I do speak and understand English perfectly so if any mistake, is just in the writing. I did have a 15 minutes conversation with the officer because he liked it the pics of my bike and made tons of questions about the build.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Re: Illinois,,,, I just came back from the Illinois Secretary of State Police statio

Good!
Thanks for taking the time to do that.
So many people are just un-able to go to the top and ask questions.

What were the code numbers the fellow gave you???
Members local to you would probably like to have them.

Best
rc

smemo666

Jun 20, 2011
Chicago
Re: Illinois,,,, I just came back from the Illinois Secretary of State Police statio

Sorry I forgot to add the codes,,,,,

(625 ILCS 5/1-140.15)
Sec. 1-140.15. Low-speed gas bicycle. A 2 or 3-wheeled device with fully operable pedals and a gasoline motor of less than one horsepower, whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 miles per hour.
(Source: P.A. 96-125, eff. 1-1-10.)

and

(625 ILCS 5/11-1516)
Sec. 11-1516. Low-speed bicycles.
(a) A person may operate a low-speed electric bicycle or low-speed gas bicycle only if the person is at least 16 years of age.
(b) A person may not operate a low-speed electric bicycle or low-speed gas bicycle at a speed greater than 20 miles per hour upon any highway, street, or roadway.
(c) A person may not operate a low-speed electric bicycle or low-speed gas bicycle on a sidewalk.
(d) Except as otherwise provided in this Section, the provisions of this Article XV that apply to bicycles also apply to low-speed electric bicycles and low-speed gas bicycles.
(Source: P.A. 96-125, eff. 1-1-10.)

Both of this norms are incluided or are part on the full Public Act that goes as follows

Public Act 096-0125

SB0236 Enrolled LRB096 03293 AJT 13311 b

AN ACT concerning transportation.

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,
represented in the General Assembly:

Section 5. The Illinois Vehicle Code is amended by adding
Sections 1-140.10, 1-140.15, and 11-1516 and by changing
Section 1-146 as follows:

(625 ILCS 5/1-140.10 new)
Sec. 1-140.10. Low-speed electric bicycle. The term
"low-speed electric bicycle" has the same meaning ascribed to
it by Section 38 of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C.
Sec. 2085).

(625 ILCS 5/1-140.15 new)
Sec. 1-140.15. Low-speed gas bicycle. A 2 or 3-wheeled
device with fully operable pedals and a gasoline motor of less
than one horsepower, whose maximum speed on a paved level
surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an
operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 miles per hour.

(625 ILCS 5/1-146) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1-146)
Sec. 1-146. Motor vehicle. Every vehicle which is
self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric
power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated

upon rails, except for vehicles moved solely by human power,
and motorized wheelchairs, low-speed electric bicycles, and
low-speed gas bicycles. For this Act, motor vehicles are
divided into two divisions:
First Division: Those motor vehicles which are designed for
the carrying of not more than 10 persons.
Second Division: Those motor vehicles which are designed
for carrying more than 10 persons, those motor vehicles
designed or used for living quarters, those motor vehicles
which are designed for pulling or carrying freight, cargo or
implements of husbandry, and those motor vehicles of the First
Division remodelled for use and used as motor vehicles of the
Second Division.
(Source: P.A. 85-1010.)

(625 ILCS 5/11-1516 new)
Sec. 11-1516. Low-speed bicycles.
(a) A person may operate a low-speed electric bicycle or
low-speed gas bicycle only if the person is at least 16 years
of age.
(b) A person may not operate a low-speed electric bicycle
or low-speed gas bicycle at a speed greater than 20 miles per
hour upon any highway, street, or roadway.
(c) A person may not operate a low-speed electric bicycle
or low-speed gas bicycle on a sidewalk.
(d) Except as otherwise provided in this Section, the

provisions of this Article XV that apply to bicycles also apply
to low-speed electric bicycles and low-speed gas bicycles.

Effective Date: 1/1/2010

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA

Thanks a bunch for doing that leg work, sounds like they are being completely reasonable about it. I had stated my opinion in an earlier thread which is perfectly reflected by what they Sec. Of State Police told you, although others insisted I was completely wrong I was pretty sure I am right. If I weren't a better man I would say an "I told you so" is in order here for the guy that insisted on arguing with me.... oops, I guess I just did it anyways.... sorry! LOL dance1

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Re: Illinois,,,, I just came back from the Illinois Secretary of State Police statue

Thanks a bunch for doing that leg work, sounds like they are being completely reasonable about it. I had stated my opinion in an earlier thread which is perfectly reflected by what they Sec. Of State Police told you, although others insisted I was completely wrong I was pretty sure I am right. If I weren't a better man I would say an "I told you so" is in order here for the guy that insisted on arguing with me.... oops, I guess I just did it anyways.... sorry! LOL dance1
Just make sure everyone here carriers a copy of the law. I got stopped this week and the officer still insisted that they were not legal. Long story short, I pedaled on over and talked to the chief and he used the statute number from the paper work to access his source of information. Result? The guy you speak of had the same opinon of the officer that stopped me. The chief disagreed with his employee.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Re: Illinois,,,, I just came back from the Illinois Secretary of State Police statue

Just make sure everyone here carriers a copy of the law. I got stopped this week and the officer still insisted that they were not legal. Long story short, I pedaled on over and talked to the chief and he used the statute number from the paper work to access his source of information. Result? The guy you speak of had the same opinon of the officer that stopped me. The chief disagreed with his employee.
Yah, I've been carrying around a copy of the law since I first started riding. Just like I told the guy that disagreed with me in the forum, and the Sec. of State Police told Smemo666 when he inquired, if a cop wants to be an authoritative a...hole he can go ahead and issue a citation and the JUDGE will follow the LAW when it gets to court. Most likely the Prosecutor won't even let the case go before the Judge because the Prosecutor will understand the law. If there is a cop dead set to ticket all the MB riders he can find then he will be the one that ends up feeling the heat because he is wasting the courts time with invalid cases. That's gonna come back on him, because he is there to enforce the laws, not write or interpret them and waste the courts time (not to mention or tax dollars).

dirtbikemike2435

Aug 16, 2011
illinois

can anyone post a link to were i can copy that and carry it along with me?

dirtbikemike2435

Aug 16, 2011
illinois
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.

Once again haveing a copy of the law on hand would have saved the day!
Two guys from our club were sitting outside a CVS in waukegan and got hassled by an off duty leo demanding that they not ride away on "an ilegal motorcycle"
The guy was ready to call local pd to report them even after being told of the change of law. The moral of the story is have a copy you carry every time you ride ,me Im gona order some of those cheap biz cards with the new laws outlined ,so I can just hand them out.

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois

thanks so much,this is the info i have been looking for.
have a fun & safe ride!

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA

Its a good thing they are not listing brake horse power as the limit. I live in CA and they list 2 brake horse power as the limit. Actual usable horspower is between 5 and 7 tenths of a hp less than brake hp. ? Where would you get a .5 horse power motor.