Break in Question

GoldenMotor.com

UnskilledMachinist

Sep 4, 2010
Oklahoma
will the engine run somewhat like Crap for a bit during break in? if so, how long before this thing gets to its full potential? i have noticed from yesterday to today, a little differnce in power i ride it bout 2 hours a day in 30 minute intervals with 20 minute break to cool down.

thanks in Advance,

***Hot Pants***dance1 Its workin so far! :D :D :D

srx

Sep 1, 2010
MN
I have been running 2 strokes for about 34 years, you don't have to "heat cycle" the engine, Nitro rc's you do..not these. Take it easy the first 1/2 tank "full throttle no longer than 2-4 seconds" and then balls out don't worry. Have seen if you baby 2 strokes to much during break in you can get a pooch!. Good luck

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just what the man said; treat them too nice and they'll never perform as well as if you abuse them a little from the start. Don't over do it but don't be afraid to twist that throttle and see what it can do. Avoid long downhill runs that can starve your engine of lubrication but these little engines respond well to a little hard running, even from day one. Use good quality oil at 24;1 moving down to 32:1 after a couple of gallons. Keep us informed.
Tom

UnskilledMachinist

Sep 4, 2010
Oklahoma
when i twist on the trottle it seems to lose power, but if i hold it just right it moves about 10 mph.
is that normal? or is there somthing i need to adjust?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
How does the engine sound when you twist the throttle and it loses power as you say, does it put out a lot more smoke from the pipe or does it seem to be running out of gas?

about 10mph is usually about minimum speed of these motors and then they start to put on up to 25+ depending on your rear sprocket size, if you can only get 10mph you got some issues possibly with the fuel mixture being way to rich are you arent getting enough fuel, or possibly you have something in the drive train that is in a bind.?????
Lock your clutch lever into position so that it is disengaged and then lift rear wheel off ground and make sure the rear wheel can be rotated easily, if it does then I say start the engine and run it up to the "10mph" point and then reach down and lift the choke lever up on the side of the carb about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way and see what happens, if it starts to run better then you are starving for fuel , but if it dies or acts like it starts running worse and bogging down then I say you are running way to rich and are in need of main jet modification and/or raising the clip up a notch or 2 on the metering needle in carb. try these couple of things and see what happens and then maybe some of us who have been down this road can help you get it resolved.
Good Luck and let us know what you find out.