A new shift concept for the engineers....

GoldenMotor.com

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Dpnt discount the tranny as jack shaft. Main trouble with SBP kit is all the added weight! Of course you lose mega power....

Never peddle, never fear a hill, and go faster than the direct-drivers while they peddle! heh heh

tranny as jackshaft for the win!
usflg

anyway! I'm still rooting for your sprockets success.....

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Dpnt discount the tranny as jack shaft. Main trouble with SBP kit is all the added weight! Of course you lose mega power....

Never peddle, never fear a hill, and go faster than the direct-drivers while they peddle! heh heh

tranny as jackshaft for the win!
usflg
Your pic is exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post!!
Camlifter did that on his 'Biker Build Off' bike... He used a shifter hub as a jackshaft transmission! (genius) ;)
I still believe this would be a better way to have gears. (Over a derailleur & multi sprockets.)

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Bowl

How Will That Facilitate A Left Side Drive Shifter ? I Take It You Have Not Used It Flipped Over!!??

Oh, Thanks For The Pic. I Guess You Posted It Before.

Ron

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
1) buy a fixed gear 3-speed.

2) attached sprocket to hub body.

3) install 22 tooth fixed gear cog.

4) mount.

5) ride.

SO everyone does realize that the s3x does not freewheel with a cog? And the cog does not un-thread when you drive it backwards? the s3x will drive on the left side and shift!

Maybe that's what some of you are over looking. 'fixed gear' bicycles do not free-wheel. The s3x is a fixed gear three speed.

ballermj23

Dec 3, 2009
San Fernando Valley, California
ok i have an idea! : D

have you guys notice that some motor kits come with a regular BMX chain?
i have met some guys that have them and they DON'T have any problems!

well i was thinking why not user that system? cause of the thickness of chain. (easier to work with)

1) we would need a BMX style chain DRIVE SPROCKET

2) we need a 3 speed (BMX style) sprocket, something like this
but you guys know, 3 sprockets together to mount on the spokes. Jim has a prototype

3) we would need a modified LEFT SIDE derailleur

4) well the chain would be the last thing. Heavy Duty BMX CHAIN

Would the chain hold the massive 2hp?
i think lots of members are running BMX chains (originally on there kit)

would the 3 sprockets together be to wide? (where it would cause the chain to hit the frame)
WAY less likely than the 415 chain would ever be. (we can even go down to a bicycle speed chain which is even less wide)

Is that LEFT derailleur on the picture available?
no i just flip the image, hopefully some of the guys in his forum can make one like that.

well that's what i was thinking... am i just dreaming? haha

or can this be one of our options. What do you guys say?

COMMENTS PLEASE! good and bad or even improvements!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
1) buy a fixed gear 3-speed.

2) attached sprocket to hub body.

3) install 22 tooth fixed gear cog.

4) mount.

5) ride.

SO everyone does realize that the s3x does not freewheel with a cog? And the cog does not un-thread when you drive it backwards? the s3x will drive on the left side and shift!

Maybe that's what some of you are over looking. 'fixed gear' bicycles do not free-wheel. The s3x is a fixed gear three speed.
bowljoman,

Do you have an extra hub?

If you're right and this hub will shift while spinning in reverse...the only thing left to do is make a larger sprocket. I would be very interested to know if this really works! If you have an extra, try it and see if you get three ratios when spinning it backwards.

A lot of torque is required to bump start the engine...I doubt the hub will hold up...but it would be worth a try.

I looked into using a heavy duty SRAM internal 3-speed over a year ago for the spoiler build I was working on. It was going to be set-up on a bracket behind the seat post. While playing around with it, I found out that due to the planetary set it would not work in reverse. It was always driving 1:1 no matter which gear was selected. I didn't want to jackshaft to the other side...too many chains...too messy. The customer decided to go with a Morini anyway so it wasn't necessary to set it up with the ability to shift.

Let us know if it will shift in reverse...if it does, i'll buy one and try it.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
ballermj23,

You got it!

The Stainless Steel sprockets I made are for heavy duty bicycle chain...see post #82 in this thread. Like you said, a lot of people use the thinner chain without any problems.

The kit will include a new engine sprocket that has been machined with the correct tooth form.

The CAD graphic at the bottom of post #13 in this thread shows the total thickness of the cluster.

The cluster mounts directly to one of my sprocket adapters. The cluster will be positioned, (on the hub), so that the center sprocket is in-line with the engine.

I just need to make a deraileur and it will be ready to test.

Jim

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i'm working on a project to run the nuvinci hub with left side drive, the free wheel will have to be welded solid and a 3 piece crank with free wheel fliped to the left. an idler mounted to the seat post, all using just one chain. the only draw back i see is the hub sprocket being welded on means that once it wears out you'll need to do another hub. but it should last many thousands of miles before that hapens. waiting on some hub oil and other parts but i'll start a thread on it when it's ready.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
i'm working on a project to run the nuvinci hub with left side drive, the free wheel will have to be welded solid and a 3 piece crank with free wheel fliped to the left. an idler mounted to the seat post, all using just one chain. the only draw back i see is the hub sprocket being welded on means that once it wears out you'll need to do another hub. but it should last many thousands of miles before that hapens. waiting on some hub oil and other parts but i'll start a thread on it when it's ready.
Camlifter,

As always, I look forward to seeing your set-up.

It is fun messin' with these bikes...:D

The design possibilities are endless...

Jim

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
ballermj23,

You got it!

The Stainless Steel sprockets I made are for heavy duty bicycle chain...see post #82 in this thread. Like you said, a lot of people use the thinner chain without any problems.

The kit will include a new engine sprocket that has been machined with the correct tooth form.

The CAD graphic at the bottom of post #13 in this thread shows the total thickness of the cluster.

The cluster mounts directly to one of my sprocket adapters. The cluster will be positioned, (on the hub), so that the center sprocket is in-line with the engine.

I just need to make a deraileur and it will be ready to test.

Jim
Awesome!
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm rootin' for all you smart guys to come up with alternatives for us. This group is just amazing. Such creative and knowledgeable people here willing to share with the rest of us dummies.
SB