Starving For Fuel ?

GoldenMotor.com

biker G

May 6, 2010
ontario
On my last few rides I noticed the fuel line containing less fuel visible.
It is now at the point where it shows no fuel after about 5 minutes operation and is actually leaning out then losing power.
If you pull off the line at the carb the fuel flows O.K but as soon as you reconnect,the line doesnt fill.
I also loosened the fuel cap to check for proper venting, but no dice.
The fuel also seems to froth in the line when operating.It still starts and runs under half throttle but there just isnt enough flow to sustain full power.
I read a thread similar to this a while ago but cant find it again.
Can anyone out there help? Im stumped.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds as if you've confirmed good flow from the tank to the carburetor. Now let's look at the carb. The float, the white plastic thing in the carb bowl controls the fuel flow along with a needle valve. It's not uncommon for the that valve to get clogged with dirt which could cause the conditions you've described. Remove the bowl and the float and see if the fuel still flows as well as it did with the fuel line disconnected from the carb. It should. If not try blowing into the fuel line with either compressed air or your mouth to see if the needle valve is clear. Try these and get back to us.
If you're sure you're running lean due to fuel starvation use caution. A lean condition can damage the engine. Correct the problem before riding, especially at wide open throttle (WOT)
Tom

Last edited:

biker G

May 6, 2010
ontario
Thanks for the advice 2door.You were partly correct,there was indeed a fleck of dirt blocking the seat about 50%.But after a test ride it was still operating with almost no fuel visible in the line.
Not knowing what else to try, I put a new filter of a different style on and its working perfect.
The old filter was not plugged but was the kind with a simple screen,the new one is the type with the paper cartridge inside.
It doesnt make much sense to me but it seemed like the old filter made the fuel froth as the engine vibrated,restricting flow.
Just a theory but at least I am motoring again.
Thanks again for the advice,this site is a gold mine of info!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Glad you got it figured out, biker G. Now go ride and have fun. Thanks for letting us know the results. We learn from other members problems as well as they learn from us. Its good to share the knowledge. We're always here if you need further help.
Tom