Attention Canadians !!!

GoldenMotor.com

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
I've been following this new law in Alberta myself and may have come up with a solution POSSIBLY, HOWEVER it may would require you to have a plate and insurance. A friend of mine who owns a motorcycle shop and is a government authorized inspection facility tells me that you can get a vin number for them issued by the rcmp. You would require an inspection by a gov't licensed(motorcycle shop) inspection facility and it would be classified as a homebuilt moped. Afterall lots of guys have homemade choppers is the reasoning. I haven't fully checked into all the details but the advice is it can be done, not saying I want to go this route at all as I am careful and never been hassled but if it came down to it and I can get a vin etc I would do it if hassle started and I can do it. Ill keep you posted as I will be at his shop this weekend to see him. Food for thought maybe?

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
From what I've read mopeds have to have a Gov. sticker on them saying they are a low speed vehicle. This is how they manage to stop home made mopeds.

Ask you buddy about this but that is written into the laws governing mopeds. Seems this is only applied at the factory making them.

Hope there is a way out. We are scr*wed here in BC.

Steve.

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
If you have a website or link I would appreciate as I am going to do some checking on this as well and see what I come up with, though it may be diff in Alta vs BC but well see what we find out.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
About my above post,you have to wade through the e-bike stuff to find out about the fed. laws.

Found this to. If your moped was made before September 1st 1988 this is how you tell it's a moped/limited speed MV.

Electric or gas powered
Maximum speed of 70 km/h
Automatic transmission
Has a step through design
Maximum engine displacement of 50cc or less

Steve.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
These Government cowpied beetle worm toilet monsters are not going any where maybe in the fantasy star trek movies, but that's about it.
They are actually making the comies look good. They don't care who they sell this country to and they actually sold a majior canadian oil company to comunist china.and that oil company is here in canada ,pumping canadian oil.
There is no soviernty here... its all buisness.

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
here is some more information from the Alberta Government Transportation Department: I think we are screwed !!!!

Hello Blair:

Thank you for your emails sent in on January 12 and 24, 2010 regarding the difference between gas-powered bicycles and electric ones.

The power-assisted bicycle definitions is intended for vehicles operated like a bicycle; a power-assisted bicycle is to provide assistance when the rider is pedaling.

A power-assisted bicycle is not to be capable of operation without pedaling. Gas powered bicycles typically are capable of being propelled without the operator using the pedals. The Transport Canada definition sets out criteria for power-assisted bicycles which gas powered bicycles do not meet. You can view the definition of power-assisted bicycles online, by visiting the following link:
Short Title, Interpretation - Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1038) - List of Regulations - Acts and Regulations - Transport Canada

The operation of a gas powered bicycle is more like a moped than like a bicycle; since gas powered bicycles are similar to mopeds and have a higher complexity to operate than a power bicycle they are treated as mopeds. Such a device can maintain higher operating speeds for longer periods of time.

Alberta chose to align with Transport Canada since Transport Canada controls the standards applied to imported and new vehicles. A company manufacturing vehicles which do not comply with the power-assisted bicycle requirement but selling their vehicles as such faces investigation and penalties from Transport Canada. Aligning Alberta with Transport Canada allows for criteria on the construction of vehicles that applies to both manufacturers and people homebuilding or modifying vehicles. Also, anyone buying or looking for a vehicle knows what the vehicle is by the labeling required to be on the vehicle by Transport Canada.

Also, there is no federal requirement for noise and emission standards on power-assisted bicycles. Gas-powered engines should meet the standards for noise emissions and fuel system integrity; the federal classification of limited-speed motorcycle requires these standards.

You can forward any comments or concerns to me. These will be kept on file until our next regulation review.

The other way would be to request a regulation change. To do so, please make contact with your local MLA.

Should you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Chris Yanitski
Vehicle Safety E.I.T.
Alberta Transportation
[email protected]

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
As I have said over and over again we need to have local MLA's at these rallys.
My parents were heavily involved in Ontario Politics for years. When I needed a lawyer after a car accident I had Pierre Trudeau's personal lawyer.

For all the things going on in an MLA's life a bunch of people on motorized bike won't rate to high unless they are made aware that these people are not happy voters, so therefore thier friends and family are not happy voters.
Unhappy voters on MB can get enough people unhappy to vote you out of your nice cushy job with all the perks.

Once again I'll chant my mantra. If you want laws changed talk to your local politicians.
Trust me they know that a bolt on lightning did not hit the earth and install them in office, and if they have this will wake them up.
Hard working MB riding people did.

If we have a meet in Ontario this summer it would be a good time to invite local and provincial politicians for a meet and greet photo op. We can talk to them then.
Invite the local TV and News papers. Tell them the story. Its not just young people riding
these things, it's unemployed,under employed, people who are worried about the enviroment, and old guys like me.

Steve.

Last edited:

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
A company manufacturing vehicles which do not comply with the power-assisted bicycle requirement but selling their vehicles as such faces investigation and penalties from Transport Canada.
I pointed similar info about manufacturing vehicles out earlier in another thread and one victim of Transport Canada's wrath I know of is Harness Grinder in Ingersoll Ontario. They got into it over building and selling custom motorcycles similar to how the guys at OCC in the USA do it...you just can't do that in Canada and it's been that way for a long time. What scares me is that guys like Motor Boys in Cambridge who are selling pre-built ready to run MB's are leaving themselves wide open for some heartache. All it will take is one customer to be involved in a serious mishap and say I bought it complete and ready to go from so and so. Building a one off MB yourself for your own personal use on the other hand is a different story of course ...but... if you try and register it in whatever province as an LSM and BS about it's compliance with federal standards you too are then breaking the law which of course leaves you wide open for some governmental heat. This now brings me back to thinking about MB rallies and the lobbying of politicians...the electric bicycle guys have tried and failed to get their DIY creations recognized more than once in more than one province so sadly I really doubt we will ever see our creations doing anything but flying below the radar. That kinda sucks BUT with an absence of laws specifically against what we and the DIY ebike guys are doing life is good so you have to ask yourself is it worth it to lobby provincial politicians for new laws or changes to current ones? When you really think about it, since the provinces follow federal guidlines, the rules we would need to have changed are the federal rules and if the feds change them for us then they'd have to change them for the custom motorcycle builders, the kit car builders, the electric car conversion companies etc etc...

Last edited:

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
The more people that ride bikes, to get around,the less money is being spent on cars ,trucks, and busses .Buss passes are now 70 dollars a month. where I live.

These motorized bike kits are really taking a hold, where as people who haven not riddin a bike in years suddenly want one.

Now Ill tell you something that really makes me sick!!! Forget about the motorized bikes for a second and lets talk about the regular bikes. Thats right-just bicycles.

A few years ago the" big city" buss company in Edmonton noticed that durring summer,the revenue droped sharply and this was due to the fact that many people rode
their bikes instead of using the buss.

So here's what they did; They put bike carrier racks on the front of their busses to suck the bike ridders back on the buss.

What they're sayin is "don't ride your bike, get back on the buss and we'll carry your bike for you.

What 's really sickening about this , is that only some of their busses have carriers only some of the time.

I laughed when I saw that.
Soon they will try to suck money out of people whom are walking down the side walk. If they could use Yuris mind control, they surely would!!!

Last edited:

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
I've been following this new law in Alberta myself and may have come up with a solution POSSIBLY, HOWEVER it may would require you to have a plate and insurance. A friend of mine who owns a motorcycle shop and is a government authorized inspection facility tells me that you can get a vin number for them issued by the rcmp. You would require an inspection by a gov't licensed(motorcycle shop) inspection facility and it would be classified as a homebuilt moped. Afterall lots of guys have homemade choppers is the reasoning. I haven't fully checked into all the details but the advice is it can be done, not saying I want to go this route at all as I am careful and never been hassled but if it came down to it and I can get a vin etc I would do it if hassle started and I can do it. Ill keep you posted as I will be at his shop this weekend to see him. Food for thought maybe?
My friend Mark in Victoria got his registered with a plate on it --it needs signals,head and tail lights horn etc everything a motorcycle has then there are no hassels but you pay license fees.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I've seen videos on Youtube of 500W e-bikes being able to take off from a dead stop and hit 40km/h...my Chinese wonder stalls out at a dead stop unless I'm surgically precise with the clutch. I think they need to rethink that reasoning a little.

Besides, you only have to be 14 to get a moped license (which is good up to 70km/h), and there isn't even a road test. You do have to take a theory test where they hit you with cryptic mind-benders like "What do you do when you come to a stop sign?".

As long as they get the $250 for registration...

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Mutuumba Of The Mountain speaks to the Gods. Anyone with a request has to pay 50 dollars a request,HOWEVER there is a special no money back guarantee .....
...meaning of course that if your request is not fulfilled ,you do not get your money back!
Thus be it a gamble.

I, however,get free requests because of my relationship to Mutuumba Of The Mountain.

This simply means that I can make thousands upon thousands of requests and not have to pay a cent!!!!!

Within the thousands of reqests, I,m bound to get at least one of them fulfilled.

If they can change the law every day,just cause they feel like it, then I can make as many free requests as I want.

Before any one tries to take credit for my theroy/disscovery, because I'm sick of that,just let me say this; Blakensteins quote;" The Galaxies shadow dimentional boundries"

Any way, lets get on wit it. I am going to ride my bike and thats the way it is.
I would rather ride my bike and have fun than to be making requests all the time.
.......all the time..... all the time.....time....time....time...time............................
:):):):)
Im, also the one who created the frase" babushka,babuska...dink,dink,dink."
Somewhere down or up the line, it turned into a song.

Ill be singin that song tonight...............with my mind........from my bed........It will help me get to sleep.

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
The potential penalty cost of operating a motor vehicle without insurance, license, headlights, tail lights,and signal lights can easily add up to thousands of dollars if I happen to get a cop who had a fight with his wife that morning or a bad cup of coffee. This is more risk than I wish to assume. I think the only chance we have in changing this situation is a letter writing campaign to our Minister of Transportation, MP and MLA's.

I am therefore going to start a new thread for this purpose entitled "Canadian Letter Writing Campaign". We need to have a few members submit template letters which can easily be cut and pasted along with a directory of MP's and MLA's email addresses. If we make it easy to do and these politicians get hundreds of letters it may make a difference.

You can start by emailing the Minister John Baird of Transport Canada at [email protected]

Followup with letters to your MP and MLA....be sure to include your name and address.

Good luck !!!

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
This is more risk than I wish to assume.

You should un-modify your bicycle then. Modifying your bicycle with aftermarket parts and accessories always presents some risks...I mean if that pink Barbie basket you attached to the handle bars falls off and gets caught up in your front wheel the end result is not likely going to be pretty :eek:

As of right now bicycles, modified or not, are legal to own and operate in every Canadian province without the need for insurance, registration or licensing...really they are and the government documents that say so are readily available for you to read.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rockenstein, can you tell me where I can find the documents you mentioned. I couldn't find them in the week I spent on the computer and the telephone checking across Canada trying to find an answer.

Thanks for the warning. On my way out to the garage to take off the Barbie basket and the streamers on the handle bars.

Steve.