Bike problems

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Hi all.Today I rode up to the local store about a 1/2 mile from my house and when I came back out to ride my bike it would not start.I had about a half tank of gas left before I left home to the store.So I had to pedal back home and I checked my gas tank and there was just a little drip left in the tank,there was no spills anywhere nor when I filled the tank back up and tried starting it up.I checked the spark plug and it was very oily although it still has a good spark.I've also tried different spark plugs with no luck.Note: I drilled a few holes into the carburetor air filter housing a few days ago,Could that have anything to do with it? When I try to start it up it will rev but won't turn over.From little experience it sounds to me like it is flooded..Any help here please? Thank you.

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
1/2 Mile with Half tank of gas.. Your bike is drinking petrol.. Had the same problem 1 month ago..

First my engine would run but run very poorly like my engine was just gonna die anytime wasnt idleing like it was healthy..But i could still ride it

Second The bike woulndt idle like ^^ BUT now i couldnt ride it.. everytime i opened up the throttle the bike would just bog till it died..

Third my bike wouldnt start.. Got a new spark plug and all went fine ; )

And if you think your bike if flooding.. open up the carb and check that white plastic if its floats.. if it floats then yourre fine

Last edited:

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
1/2 Mile with Half tank of gas.. Your bike is drinking petrol.. Had the same problem 1 month ago..

First my engine would run but run very poorly like my engine was just gonna die anytime wasnt idleing like it was healthy..But i could still ride it

Second The bike woulndt idle like ^^ BUT now i couldnt ride it.. everytime i opened up the throttle the bike would just bog till it died..

Third my bike wouldnt start.. Got a new spark plug and all went fine ; )

And if you think your bike if flooding.. open up the carb and check that white plastic if its floats.. if it floats then yourre fine
Yeah its strange..It was running great and all of sudden it won't even start or bog.I also drained the carburetor witch it had very little fuel in it.If it helps at all,when i had the spark plug out rolling the bike back and fourth there was a terrible amount of gas fumes arising.I even tried a new spark plug but eh no luck there either.Thanks Don

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
could the carb have filled the crankcase with fuel,,was the fuel shut-off turned off at the store? if the crankcase is full of fuel it will not run or will flood plugs and have a gas smell at the plug hole silly,but (plug out)turn the bike upside down and drain case turning the engine turn slow as not to creat a spark

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
even if he left the fuel on at the store.. i bet it wasnt so long to have flooded his crankcase..

If he left it on for a few days then yeah it might be possible the crankcase is flooded..

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I'm just remembering ,,and his discription in his opening box lead me to the dedutction (half a tank is less than 3 cups ,and the engine case is small so the crank would splash even a cup of fuel around flooding the plug,, but the heavy gas smell at the plug hole and the short time to use the fuel gave me the thought,,,, I had a van with a bad needle valve in the carb and it put gallons of gas in the crankcase (found out when I drained it and the oil drain tub only holds 5 gallons-3-4 drains overflowed)It dosnt take long at all

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I still can not get my MB running,it sure wants to but no luck.I always close the fuel valve immediately after stopping so that shouldn't be a problem nor is it leaking anywhere around the carburetor or fuel line.If it is flooded out what would be the best way of cleaning it out? Thanks for the help so far!

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If the fuel is pooled in the bottom of the crankcase ((the fuel is missing and no sign of leaking,,and spark plug wet?)) ,the crank will splash it around and that will wet the plug and it wont fire ,,the extra fuel will have to come out the exhaust ,the spark plug hole,or back out the intake ,through the carb,, .then spin it over (push 10 feet)with the plug out, put in a fresh plug ( pour fuel out of crankcase first )(some one else on here under stands the carb needle,float etc,,I've not taken mine apart yet)

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
i turn the engine over a couple times then hold a bic lighter to the plug hole to burn the fuel out usually have to do this a few times, it doesnt take long to crank flood these little jewels

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I went ahead and bought a new automotive spark plug today.Tried out the method freewheel mentioned it gave in a few kicks but still a no go.

Edit: I also took the mag cover off to check that area,the coil was a little damp with gas.What else should I be checking?

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Is'nt there a seal on the crank between the crankcase and the mag chamber guys?

turn the bike up on the rear wheel with the plug out and drain the gas out of the crankcase untill no more liquid can be drained (out the intake tube)air dry port open
Did
thenew plug get dripping wet too?

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Yes there is a seal under the plate cover.The new plug was not wet though it had a tad bit of oil on it and I have checked it several times after trying to start the bike up..As in my first post I mentioned I drilled 5-6 small angle holes through the carburetor air filter housing.Could it be possible something got clogged in the jets or somewhere? Once again,Thanks guys.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Yes there is a seal under the plate cover.The new plug was not wet though it had a tad bit of oil on it and I have checked it several times after trying to start the bike up..As in my first post I mentioned I drilled 5-6 small angle holes through the carburetor air filter housing.Could it be possible something got clogged in the jets or somewhere? Once again,Thanks guys.
Aaron,

Did you drill the air filter housing while still attached to the carb? or did you remove it to drill the holes?

If you drilled it while still attached, there may be plastic chips in the carb.

Simply drilling holes in the housing will not cause the problem you're describing.

Have you removed the air cleaner? Your description of the problem sounds like the same thing as running on full choke?

Jim

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Aaron,

Did you drill the air filter housing while still attached to the carb? or did you remove it to drill the holes?

If you drilled it while still attached, there may be plastic chips in the carb.

Simply drilling holes in the housing will not cause the problem you're describing.

Have you removed the air cleaner? Your description of the problem sounds like the same thing as running on full choke?

Jim
Hi Jim:)

I took the housing off of the carburetor to drill the holes.I also made sure there was no shavings or particles from drilling.

I have not removed the air filter since the small mod.Not sure if that is a problem yet.

I've tried the choke a few times,it doesn't seem to be full on choke either.

From small experience it seems to me it is flooded but neither the old plug or new spark plug was wet when I removed them..There is a good spark to the new plug witch is good.

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
Hi Jim:)

I took the housing off of the carburetor to drill the holes.I also made sure there was no shavings or particles from drilling.

I have not removed the air filter since the small mod.Not sure if that is a problem yet.

I've tried the choke a few times,it doesn't seem to be full on choke either.

From small experience it seems to me it is flooded but neither the old plug or new spark plug was wet when I removed them..There is a good spark to the new plug witch is good.
Hey if your plug isnt wet and its not starting its a fuel problem i think..

Time to check the carb! There might be some dirt in there which is causing some problems.. might be cloged

OK try this.. Get some carb cleaner,WD40.. Tear apart ya carb give it a good cleaning and reassemble it.. now try it..

Remove your filter clean that black sponge well and put it back..

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Hey if your plug isnt wet and its not starting its a fuel problem i think..

Time to check the carb! There might be some dirt in there which is causing some problems.. might be cloged

OK try this.. Get some carb cleaner,WD40.. Tear apart ya carb give it a good cleaning and reassemble it.. now try it..

Remove your filter clean that black sponge well and put it back..
Eh well holding a flame to the spark hole is a good trick yet dangerous.I gave that a go but still nothing so I'm quite pondered here.

I will go ahead clean up the carburetor and let you's know how that goes.Thanks Don!