An Alternative to Zip Ties?

GoldenMotor.com

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Whatever it was, it wasn't plastic :)
my '51 Chevy uses some plastic clips to hold some of the wiring in place... and there original... they couldn't make big plastic stuff back then, but dash knobs, some clips ect.. were all made of plastic :)

mpr455

Jun 27, 2009
lombard il
hey guy's thought i would throw in my 2 cents. in 40's-50's alot of guys tied wires with wax coated string. there is a method to it that was basic training in avaition training in that era i'am not sure how to do it yet but i found a guy who is suppose to teach me. i would suggest looking at a aviation training manual for the method. i'am going to do this on my 55 monark. zip ties just don't cut it on a period correct build - big mike

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't have any idea where you'd find it today but machines of the 30s, 40s & 50s used a lot of cloth electrical tape. It was black or grey and had a cloth look but was sticky on one side. General Motors used it into the 60s to wrap wire bundles. Not the most attractive stuff but if you're going for accuracy it was widely used on cars, motorcycles, boats and airplanes. Vinyl tape has replaced it.
Tom