What have I done?!?!

GoldenMotor.com

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
Well, I've finally gone and done it- I went crazy and ordered a butt-load of equipment for a fresh motor bike build. (My bike recently having been stolen, it was time to go for the gusto.)

So I ordered the following:

Gasbike.net 67cc Black Stallion Motor kit (Comes w biggie 2.5L tank)

Sick Bike Parts Standard Shift Kit (shifty gears!)

SBP Performance Air Filter (higher flow in)

SBP Expansion Chamber Exhaust Kit (back pressure and loudness!)

SBP Carb O-Ring (better carb seal on intake)

SBP 67cc Thin Head Gasket (increases Compression)

SBP High Efficiency Plug Wire (increases spark quality)

SBP Heavy Duty Front Freewheel (made by White Bros.)

SBP 11 Tooth Primary Drive Sprocket (increases top end)

SBP Fancy NGK Plug (better spark)

Manic Mechanic Clutch Actuator Kit (better feel, pulls from stops!)

SBP Engine Hardware Kit (grade 5 or better bolts for entire engine case)

Yeah, so that added up to quite the pretty penny! (Cool side note- we also ordered a Grubee motor for my one buddy and clutch kit for my other buddie's rigs at the same time!)

Now for the donor bike:

She's a 1984 Schwinn Sierra MTB. True Temper Chromoly frame, six speed rear freewheel, and O.G. "Bullmoose" handlebars. The bike is all original except for a retrofitted RST suspension fork. On this Pre-suspension Schwinn, a fork choppers out the HT angle a little for the worse, but that may equal out a bit with the added heft of the motor in-frame, and at speed, we'll see..

It's a quality old bike, in cream puff condition, and I believe the old school six speed rear freewheel and heavier gauge chain will be a perfect match for the SBP shift kit. My only qualm right now is I'm not in front of the bike at this moment and can suddenly not remember if it has a euro bottom bracket or an American one, and I'm just not positive if the SBP kit will come with what I need to set it up on either/or. I will worry about that when I get to it.

Anyhow, she's intended to be built up with a rear cargo rack and full coverage fenders, as well as knobby tires for some back roads/fire roads exploration. She'll be a spendy build when I'm done, but I figure why do this from scratch unless I can just do it up right?

Anyhow- there's my story! Can't wait to get my parts, I'll post pics of the donor bike tonight and when things start to arrive, update from there! What do you guys think about my little plan?

Cheers!

-Steve

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Did you mention to Manic Mechanic that the Clutch Actuator Kit was going on a SBP kit? I seem to recall that he has a special one for the SBP kit.

I would have ordered the engine from someone else. Do an inventory when you get it and check for damage. Luckily you won't be using the muffler or chain guard, so you don't have to worry about them being dented and scratched.

Sounds like you are gonna have some fun.

Last edited:

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
I did NOT know there was a SBP compatible clutch kit- hmm.... I'll try emailing them to see if I can change the order. Hopefully they will get it before anything ships out on Monday. Thanks for that heads up I appreciate it!

Sounds like you've either had a bad experience with Gasbikes.net or know someone who has. I guess we'll see how they do...

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I did NOT know there was a SBP compatible clutch kit- hmm.... I'll try emailing them to see if I can change the order. Hopefully they will get it before anything ships out on Monday. Thanks for that heads up I appreciate it!

Sounds like you've either had a bad experience with Gasbikes.net or know someone who has. I guess we'll see how they do...
Readin' these forums all the time I retain useless info, I guess the clutch thing is not useless, since I would need to know that if I bought one for the "Blue Bike".

I have purchased something from them and I sure hope the motor don't break before the warranty is up. I have not modified that engine at all. It is still as purchased. I am following all the break in procedures which should be completed in the next week or so. (You read it here folks so it must be true.) When I think of them I think of "Throw" And "Trust"

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i ordered from gasbike.net and nothing was scratched or dented except my clutch cover had a couple of small tiny defect dings.my muffler is perfect paint and all.my chain guard is perfect too but its not on my bike yet.my engine is good too.

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
Well **** Nunya- The work Jim (and a few others) are doing is really changing the game for us isn't it? I'll look forward to building up this stock motor as well as it can be done, and will also look forward to swapping out the engine itself with a balanced and port tuned motor as soon as practical. The hope with this build is not to make a "Hot Rod" bike, but a refined bike, that has excellent ride characteristics and reliability. I am looking forward to building this baby up.

I also added a Creative Engineering copper exhaust gasket to my list today. Ordered it this morning..

Man my backyard chicken coop build project is going to suffer for a couple days when all my parts for this bike show up!

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
I guess now you'll have an extra gasket, because the tuned pipe comes with the same exhaust gasket.
LOL Good maybe I can use it on one of my mopeds!!

PS- All SBP parts arrived today in great condition! The pipe looks awesome, can't wait to begin this build. I am going to sand and paint the fuel tank before mounting. Between the inspection/hardware replacement/head milling/port polishing/motor mount fabrication, and everything else, I expect this will take me through the weekend to get it even mocked up in the frame. I think the millwork portion (and Mounts! Thanks Evan!) will be the two most precision processes to get done, and paint always takes a couple of days start to finish, so Here's hoping we'll see a running bike by this time next week.

Pics of the SBP goodies later. The White Industries FW is sweet too..