Springer Fork Question

GoldenMotor.com

oldschoolbiker

Dec 1, 2015
Illinois
Hello,

I just completed my 1st build. It is a Huffy Cruiser (Deluxe Model). I installed front and rear caliper brakes on the bike and now wish to change the stock fork to a springer fork.

Can a front caliper brake be mounted to a stock springer fork? I am unable to locate any details on the various parts web sites for this. Do the standard springer forks come with a mounting hole for a front caliper brake?

Thanks,

Kevin

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
the only Springer forks i have found to purchase (and i still have to acquire the proper size)
are Monark, Sunlite and Cuda.
just do a search on those names.
Monark is always on the ad sites off to the left and or right sides of this forum being they are a sponsor. i'm hoping to use them if not i will purchase Sunlite Springer Deluxe.
and they do have mounting holes for disk brakes (calipers).
have a gosh darn good time.

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
Here's how I did it. Now I must warn you, Never get the bent springer I got.
I don't know about the non-bent springer forks, but do warn you that the tubing is pretty thin.

A buddy of mine welded a tube onto the thicker pipe, with a hole in the middle for a side-pull caliper. I Never rode with it, but it should work. Just don't bolt it onto the existing hole on the main stem-tube. It's meant to be for fenders but even that can be dangerous sometimes.

oldschoolbiker

Dec 1, 2015
Illinois
Thanks for the replies and pic:)

Yes, that is the front pull caliper brake type I'm looking to install. Was thinking of a regular springer (not the bent version). Although, I may re-think this and purchase a Monarc. I've also heard that the traditional springer fork tubing is cheap and can easily bend.

VariousVices

Dec 2, 2015
City of Night
They do make a bolt on bracket to add a rim brake to the oldschool springer fork, I'll try to find a link. It clamped to the rear bent tube and gave provision to mount mount the caliper....but while researching that, I came across a disk break bracket kit that was also bolt on, you just needed to mount the disk to hub, buying a new or used disk ready wheel seemed the best route for that but you could buy a new hub or an adapter and some of those required drilling your existing hub.im going disk all around on all my bikes, and keeping the rim breaks for redundancy operated prolly by dual bull levers on both sides. One for rims, one for disc- I'll adjust bias with the cables and thumbscrews. I want to keep my bent springer, looks old school badass, but I'm looking at ways to strengthen or God forbid fab a new one out of solid rod...but safety first, if cool equals dead, I'll be a square. I've got a standard fork in case this seems impractical too. Flame on lol.
Found it
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...er-front-brake-for-26-bent-springer-fork.html

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Yes, springers have a C-brake mount if they have a fender mount.

Note these are just for looks, they don't provide any real suspension vulnerable to breaking at the pivot point.

Good point Ryoskate:).

I might just go with a Monarc springer and a front disk brake version.

Thanks
That is a far better way go if want the Springer look.
The Monarc's actually have some shock action and stronger than the cheapies.

Personally I like a telescoping shock fork with V-brake bosses and disc mount for inexpensive but very good at it's job, real suspension.
I mean the kind of suspension you can hit a speed bump at 30mph and not get rattled.

~$100 with V-brake arms and pads for a good cheap system, or you can use a disc but you need a disc front wheel to do that.

The important thing is you know you need a front brake, good for you ;-}

http://motorbicycling.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

oldschoolbiker

Dec 1, 2015
Illinois
Thanks KCvale. By the way, that's a nice bike.

How did you fabricate the gas tank? Or can these be purchased? I'm thinking of installing the rear gas tank on my next build. Looks pretty cool:)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks KCvale. By the way, that's a nice bike.
Those Kent made Cadillac Fleetwood bikes were a one shot deal in 2011 and an interesting story.

It was all about the new NuVinci CVT (continuously variable transmission) internal shifting hub, with Cadillac sponsoring the costs so the whole bike was only $300! That's what the hub cost retail alone!

Between my shop helper at the time and I we bought 6 of them, 3 being the last 3 anywhere.

Though cool bikes, the NuVinci was a bust for motorizing as a shifter.
Anything over ~2hp destroyed them, we lost 3 and no warranty.
The 48cc ones held up but infuriating to ride.

You can't shift under load, and the shifter is like a throttle that spins almost completely around between Low and High.

More gear ranges is NOT what a motorized shifter needs, I find 3 gears much better, but with 3-speed disc they worked just fine.

How did you fabricate the gas tank? Or can these be purchased? I'm thinking of installing the rear gas tank on my next build. Looks pretty cool:)
The whole story of the that tank is here with pics and links.
http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=307

It cost me $109 custom made in Vail, AZ by Coyote-Tanks
Go figure huh?

That Caddy top bar was just to small to be a gas tank, a peanut on top would be an insult, so that was the answer to the customers delight, those are springier forks per his request as well.

http://motorbicycling.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I am using a Monark dual springer on this new GT2-150 frame build.

The caliper is not on yet, but the fork has the mount.
It's pretty stout fork, best one I have ever used and actually has some spring in it.