what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just what Map said FMB!

One of the really great parts of our crazy hobby is you built her and can change, update or even start all over if you want.

One of the great things about the fine folks here, they will help you do any of that and cheer you on in your efforts.

There is no such thing as a bad build. They are all works in progress and a learning opportunity.

I dearly miss my first build. She was ugly, poorly done and would shake the teeth right out of your head. But man I loved that dumb thing.

Don't have to be beautiful, traffic stopping or any sort of marvel. Just has to be what you want or need and be all your doing to be a great work of functional art.

We are all students in varying degrees of expertise.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
No fun! The crankshaft actually split! Between the counterweight and the flywheel/magneto rotor! I boxed up the dead engine hoping to find a replacement crank and gaskets to :-|| rebuild it, if the rest of it isn't too worn out. Surprised it didn't last longer, but it has been driven hard, and I got it as surplus, so I can't worry too much.

I found a post on here about someone clearing out a stock of "Viper" china clone 12v start 2 strokes for 100/pair shipped. I got a couple for spares.

I pedaled mine home. ugh. The clutch blew up somehow. I was riding at 25mph and it started making a metallic racket. I thought it was a bearing or con rod, but the clutch was locked up. I'll have to pull the motor and figure out what happened. I hope the engine is ok!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Just what Map said FMB!

One of the really great parts of our crazy hobby is you built her and can change, update or even start all over if you want.

One of the great things about the fine folks here, they will help you do any of that and cheer you on in your efforts.

There is no such thing as a bad build. They are all works in progress and a learning opportunity.

I dearly miss my first build. She was ugly, poorly done and would shake the teeth right out of your head. But man I loved that dumb thing.

Don't have to be beautiful, traffic stopping or any sort of marvel. Just has to be what you want or need and be all your doing to be a great work of functional art.

We are all students in varying degrees of expertise.

If she doesn't find you handsome, at least she'll find you handy.......

Red Green

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Noticed a Pop sound and a new vibration on my bike. Found it under the seat at the rear left mounting stud. Yeah it broke flush with the case. pulled the engine got out the dremmel and cut a slot into the barely exposed stud and was able to turn it out with a screwdriver. Reassembly tonight. Man oh Man the chain crud is the filthiest most stubborn stuff to clean off your hands. i will use stubble gloves to put the driveline on tonight.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Noticed a Pop sound and a new vibration on my bike. Found it under the seat at the rear left mounting stud. Yeah it broke flush with the case. pulled the engine got out the dremmel and cut a slot into the barely exposed stud and was able to turn it out with a screwdriver. Reassembly tonight. Man oh Man the chain crud is the filthiest most stubborn stuff to clean off your hands. i will use stubble gloves to put the driveline on tonight.
The best hand cleaner without a doubt / hands down is Dawn "the blue stuff" dish soap mixed with sugar .. yes regular house hold sugar. and live tried them all 25 years of well drilling cutting and threading galv pipe black iron . the best stuff by far is Dawn dish soap and sugar It rips right through chain grease as if it was latex pain on your hands .. special attention to the finger tips will be needed of course bit for that I use the yellow and green sponge I use the green Brillo part for the finger tips .vinyl , latex , powdered or non..surgical gloves all last ME about 3 minutes or 3 or 4 nuts being threaded in and the finger its usually get holes in them but the do keep the rest off the hands clean and they are vital for any chain for what so ever just looking at the chin can get ya dirty

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
You want to know what I did?

I realized just how pathetic my bike is compared to yours and a whole lot other bikes I see in here.
The first build always looks a bit rough. We've all been there. The good news is, the next one looks better, since you've learned from the first. Added bonus, you're reading here, which should give you a lot more info/guidance/ideas to go from.

The first motor I slapped on my beast ran for a while before it died. For the second, I knew a lot more (from reading everything I could here) and properly prepped eveything for the replacement. When I motored Harley59's bike (as a replacement for a trashed e-bike, for 1/10th the cost of the e-bike) it went together pretty smoothly, which gave me the confidence to take on doing my cruiser.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that you've taken the first step. Each step from here gets better. And you've got the web's best resource here for any troubles you may encounter right here.

Post a couple of pics when you can, no matter what you think of it we'd love to see your bike.

Remember: It ain't whatcha ride, it's how you roll.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
on my new bike "new to me anyway" It has the cables running along the top tube with no conduit so I sat thinking how can I put the tank on with out crushing these wires then it hit me I took 4 of those cable adjusters that screw into the brake lever and slipped them on to the bare wire then set the tank onto them after I draped some rubber on them it mounted very nice and secure and my cables work flawlessly

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
To work around the top tube cables, I went with a series of layers of rubber cut into strips built up into a sort of (squished) I beam shape, stuck together with double-sided tape. The bottom wide piece goes under the cables, the narrow strips allow the cable to run on each side.

Sort of like this:
_ 1" strip
- ½" strip
- ½" strip
- ½" strip
_ 1" strip

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
For the first time, I ran my bike at WOT for 2 continuous miles......seems like she did just fine. May be time to start taking further trips from the house.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Added the new Meanie Greenie roller wheel from mapbike to my tensioner from turbobuick1. Since the new wheel was slightly 'thinner', I was able to utilize the last hole in the arm --- mo betta!!

This was the original wheel with about 300 miles on it........no wear!!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You want to know what I did?

I realized just how pathetic my bike is compared to yours and a whole lot other bikes I see in here.
Give it time, my friend, give it time. The bike in my pic is not my first. My first got slammed by an F-150. And my second ride didn't get all tricked out overnight. We poor folks go several weeks, maybe months, between adding stuff onto our rides.
Check this out: if it starts and runs just fine, and gets several times the gas mileage of the cars next to you, ain't no way you can call that pathetic. These things are admirable in their MPGs.