Greetings from fresno california

GoldenMotor.com

thunderchicken

Aug 30, 2013
Fresno Ca.
Just a quick hello from the San Joaquin Valley. I am new to this motorized bike world. I built my first bike last month and it sucks. I cant think about anything but my next build.... which I need some of your help with later. My first build is a Diamond Back Della Cruz 1 with a springer front fork. I put a 80cc china motor on it. I port matched the intake and exhaust and put a tuned pipe on it. got the motor from a guy off craigslist for 95$ with an old Schwinn varsity 10 speed and gave the bike to a homeless guy. That was cool, you would have thought I had given him a Ferrari from the look on his face. I see him from time to time and he has it all decked out and has a trailer on it now to collect cans. The guy I got the motor from never got it put together so it was basically new. I had some issues with the chain because the frame is a little longer but have those worked out now. I also just today went and got a new back rim. The stock 16 or 14 gauge spokes didn't hold up long it has a fun little wobble between 25 and 30 mph and is great when cornering I heard a couple "pings-pops" the other day and that was enough motivation to drop the $ for a 12 gauge spoke replacement. Anyways, my second build is in progress as of yesterday. I got what I believe is a Felt frame with the gas tank built into the frame primed but needs a little work. with 1 and an 1/8th inch head tube. It came with a 24 inch rear aluminum rim with a S.A 3 speed coaster brake hub its the SRC3 with a 3inch Thick brick tire and a 26 inch front rim with a Joy industrial co. LTD drum brake and a Quick Brick 2.125 tire all stored correctly no cracking on the rubber. 2 extra rear tires, fenders, chain guard, rear rack, and two parts of a springer front fork I just need the spring and fork bar I guess it would be called that goes through the head tub, it also came with chains one for the bike and another I think 415 or 420, and a muffler. How is that for a run on sentence? I traded it all for a pressure washer that I got for free from a friend. I think I came away with the better deal.
I have some questions? Is it a felt and if so what model and how old? I attached pictures. Also if someone has built one or has a link to a finished one so I can see what it looks like built. I know its kind of a clean slate and I could go a lot of different directions with the build but I just would like something for a reference. Also I am wanting to go with a Jack Shaft and a 80cc motor with a Fred's head with pressure release valve, a dellno carb. or whatever its called... I am also going to have the bottom end balanced within acceptable tolerances to reduce vibration. My question is, will that hub hold up against that kind of motor? I like the idea of 3 speeds without a derailleur. Astatically that would be very clean. But I have some concerns with life expectancy and such with the hub. So much for the quick intro part, lol. Maybe I should have posted in the other forums? Mr. moderator if I have over stepped please delete what's necessary and I will go to the right forum. And yes I am a newbie. I am just obsessive and a fast learner. Thanks for listening and from all I have read on here you all are a bunch of ladies and gentlemen. Good day to u all. had to delete some pictures t repost in another thread

laff

Attachments

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

I do feel a little 'winded' after reading your saga.........:D

That is a very sweet look'n frame with the built-in tank! Best of luck in your next build.

Mark,
a former resident of Fresno.

thrasher666

Jun 24, 2021
hey now whats up with yall from the NO.Anyhate Im runnin one of those Raw Racer IIIs on a huffy hybrid cruiser.My break in period is over and time to install the GT80 reed valve and huge carb but I cant seem to get rid of this vibration im getting from my chain.It comes at about 25mph and goes away at 30mph but while its there its bad.And i cant figure out how to get rid of it.The engine i had on before this one had the exact same problem.The only thing that i didnt change when I switched out motor was the sproket.So Im going to do that now.If anyone has any info on this would be much appreciated.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Lots of these engines come with eccentric 10 tooth drive sprockets on the engine, sometimes you can fix that vibration by filing the square tipped teeth to a more tapered tip like a narrow pyramid with a blunt tip. Mostly the bad sprockets are made with their teeth and chain roller lands completely out of round and there's nothing you can do but maybe buy a few more sprockets and see if any are less oblong.

My knowing how to TIG weld and getting pretty annoyed with the engine warble and shaking with my extremely eccentric sprocket, I filed down the high spots and filled the low spots with a little stainless filler rod and trued up the roller lands so they were concentric, Now my engine runs quite smoothly at 20 to 30 mph. It was terrible prior and I think the spokes will last longer too. I've also bolted my sprocket to the hub, ( high flange Schwinn LeTour..) maybe I'll get a few thousand miles out of this wheel.

I've driven through Fresno 4 times and it's always been really hot. I suppose you all have cooler weather in the Winter.