Mixing oil and grease

GoldenMotor.com

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Hi All,

Quick question, I have a bunch of motor oil that I use for lubing some stuff on my bike because it can drip down where grease can't reach without disassembling. I also have red grease I use pretty much everywhere. My question is, can I put both in the clutch shaft area? The grease doesn't want to get all the way to the bearings and the oil will. What do you recommend?

Also, how should I grease the bearings on the crank part of the engine? the bearings on the side of the bevel wheel gear shaft.

Looking forward to responses!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm going to suggest investing the time in stripping the parts down and fitting grease nipples where they will deliver the grease to the correct parts. That way, there's no compromise on the sort of lubricant you need.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Are you talking about greasing the crankshaft bearings too? You don't want to or need to grease those, they get lubricated from the inside of the engine. They're only sealed on the outside. The oil you mix with the gas lubricates those.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
If a 2 stroke is running with the correct oil ratio and type of oil, greasing the internal bearings of the engine is unnecessary. It's how they're designed to work.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
A thin smear on the rebuild's probably a good idea, but the last time I started up a 2 stroke that had been stored dry, I just flooded the engine with 2 stroke oil, turned it upside down etc and got the right oil on the bearings. It took a couple of plug cleans before it ran long enough to stop making clouds of smoke, but it had the best start in life I could give it.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I'm mainly talking about the clutch bearing area.
I use an electric grease gun. If you take the clutch actuator rod and bearing out of the sprocket and compress some grease into it, it gets through the bearings for sure. After taking off the clutch one time, I noticed the entire back half was caked with grease that leaked through the bearings. It's also possible to unscrew the clutch cable holder above the shaft and put grease in through there.

As for the little tiny bearings that the clutch gear rotates on, the ones where you can actually see the balls in the races, I used to use oil but it would fling out eventually. If you take the clutch off, there are holes on the back of it that you can push grease through to fill up the races.

Last edited: