Would This Be a Cool Antique Cruiser to do a build?

GoldenMotor.com

sethmeister

Sep 30, 2012
Dothan, Alabama
Hey All,

This is my first post, and I've been wanting to build an "MB" for a while just for commuting and to save on gas, but I would also like it to be customized.

I was wondering if this antique Western Flyer Cruiser would be a good candidate?

http://dothan.craigslist.org/bik/3292650765.html

I know I would probably want to regrease everything and what not, also probably get a suspension fork. Would I be better of financially and time-wise with picking up a huffy or schwinn from Wal_Mart? I also have a wlmart "Thruster Fixie, I have been riding to work, but it is seriously kicking my ass on the hills.

Well, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Seth
dnutdnut

sethmeister

Sep 30, 2012
Dothan, Alabama
I agree on the breaks, and I reall would like to have disk breaks. I used to ride a Lapierre X-Control 400, which was a dream to ride and this Walmart Fixie is pure junk, I'm debating whether I would even want to motorize such a cheap bike as I'm pretty well spoiled after owning the Lapierre, but then you don't want to put a motor on such a good bike, it's not like you'd be pedaling it.

The main reason I wouldn't want to use the Western Flyer is because those old bike were such hard ride ever pump you feel it, so I would need to at least get a suspension seat and a nice fork, I'm not sure of the fork size though.

I know this thread is a bit un-specific, but what would you would be the best option for commuting around 7 miles to work and 11 mile to college?

Thank You!

-Seth