Searching for vice and found this. What you think?

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have one of those. It does have it's practical uses but it does not clamp very well and the table is made of MDF which is not all that durable.
I really only use it when cutting boards and such with my circular saw.
I would never use it like a workbench, what it is labeled as. A few good hammer blows or dropping a heavy part on it would ruin it, not to mention that the surface scars very easily if you slide anything metal and remotely sharp cornered across it.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I have a "Workmate" as well. I have to agree that it isn't the best as a work bench, but it did well for me when I was putting the rag joint together. I had the middle section out of it and with it opened up with the 'back' section on, I got the inserts to hold the wheel flat on it nicely. I am considering using it to hold the bike while I work, but to do that I'm going to strap an old trunk-mount bike rack on it and counterweight it first.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I will probably end up buying this vice
Stanley MaxSteel 83-069 Multi-Angle Vise:Amazon:Home Improvement

Its sad to hear that the work bench is not great but i
Need to do some cutting in the future, so I guess it has it's place.. Maybe.
That is a nifty looking vice. It would work great for some things, but it's nothing I'd replace my current set-up for. I have an oak work bench I assembled/made myself, and a big cast-iron bench vice on a robust swivel mount. It has the flat jaws with a pair of pipe grips below and the standard flat anvil surface in back. I can stick things in it and crank it down and beat on whatever's in there, and it will never give out. And I can turn it and usually find an angle which works for what I want to do.

Not sure I'd want to try walloping stuff that with the Stanley there. Call me an old fart, but I think it's hard to top an old-school iron bench vice.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I have one of the craftsman work tables ,love it, a machinist style cast iron bench vise , a pipe vise / with tubing notcher from harbor freight an a smaller flat jaw anvil shape vice on a pole with an old car rim filled with concrete for weight this little vise I find the most handy because of its portability , when I am welding I ground the pole clamp up an weld away . heres an idea for a whole new thread homebuilt tools , I also home built a small englishwheel very handy for straightening fenders or removing dents from them almost flawlessly.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Aw man the mods moved this. Thats like taking craftman sockets and flushing them down the toilet. This table can help a motorbicycle more than ya think. Being moved to the ol tavern takes away it's MB creditability.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
A good bench vise is a great thing, having a bench solid enough to mount the vise on is better.
My dad was a lifer in Building Maintenance for GM Diesel, from the shop floor up the management ladder and back down again (by choice).
I was raised to consider the purchase, and then spend the right amount of money on it. Same principle as repairs, you can spend a little many times over fixing something again and again, or you can spend the right money once, and never think about it again.