Starting at square one

GoldenMotor.com

jerrydellg

Apr 28, 2011
louisiana
Hey. I'm absolutely new to all this. I've been reading different threads for a few days now and I am becoming familiar with this site. My original plan was to upgrade from my 26" huffy cranbrook (wal-mart $89) to a more "solid" bike and install a motor. From what I've read there are people successfully putting engines on these cranbrooks so I may stick with it if it will save me money. It was suggested that I search for my answers before asking questions that have already been asked. I've been searching for three days now and I still have the same questions. What is the easiest 49cc motor to install on a cranbrook? I don't have access to a shop or a lot of tools so the least amount of modifications the better. What do I NEED to do, if anything, besides installing the motor(upgrade forks or rims/ install something other than the coaster brake etc.)?

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
a cranebrook is one of the harder bikes to mount a motor on for a first timer. it has an over sized front tube that the motor won't fit, will need a custom front mount. it also needs the coaster brake arm to be bent and has little tire to motor side chain clearance. it can be done if you have a little fab skill but is not the best choise for a first build.

the easiest bikes to put a motor on are old 70's style 10 speeds. everything bolts right up, once you get the hang of the care and feeding of a motor bike then make your future builds more complex. belive me once you build one you'll be back for more.

jerrydellg

Apr 28, 2011
louisiana
I don't like the idea of having to be bent over to reach the handlebars. Iguess I could put beach cruiser style handlebars on a 70's style ten speed. I want to avoid gears though. That's what I like about the one speed cruisers. Less stuff to go wrong. Besides if I'm reading the motorized bicycle laws in louisiana right, gears mean shifting and some sort of automatic transmission. Right? If I do that then I have to have a liscense and registration and insurance. I'm trying to avoid that.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
the motor will only drive one sprocket on the left side of the bike. the 10 speed gears on the right side will still only work when you pedal it as a normal bike.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Power transmission is not through your bike shifter setup unless you build it that way.

Sick Bike Parts and others have a set-up like that but it's extra and a lot more than a motor kit usually. The front sprocket gets a freewheeling gear so you can still pedal with the engine off so it is still a motorized bike.

Yes, the do have a manual clutch but that criteria is ignored by the vast majority of law enforcement. An automatic clutch is also available but you should also add a pull starter.

I can tell you I have never heard of anybody being hassled for having a clutch. Idaho law says the same thing, I swear that most of the states photocopied the same set of laws and just had the Government rubber stamp the approval. Occasionally you have a state of "original thinkers" who want to curb us outlaws. I'd bet the bastiches are Insurance salesmen, too :p Or money grubbers that think to balance bankrupt state budgets on the backs of motorbikers. HAHAHAH good luck with that.

Last edited:

jerrydellg

Apr 28, 2011
louisiana
I'm trying to use the search engine on this site to find some specific answers and I'm not having any luck. Ya'll have been really helpful so far, maybe you can bhelp with this. Is there a resource I can use that will tell me what engine kits work best with what bikes? For instance, I tell it I have a 26" huffy cranbrook and it gives me a list of appropriate engine kits and other parts like brake systems, rims, etc.