Gas tank decals??

GoldenMotor.com

WaterDog

Sep 12, 2010
Miami / Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I am hoping to find some graphics for the gas tank and maybe motor. My original thought was to make templates and paint. But decals under a good clear engine paint would be so much easier. I know theres an advertiser on this forum, but he has limited selections. Didnt have much luck google'ing it either. Anyway...just wondering if yall have any suggestions or websites. Thanks as always.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What specifically are you looking for?
I wanted some Norton decals. I found plenty on fleabay but they were the cheap water slide type then I stumbled on a local motorcycle shop that deals in vintage British bikes. He had original Norton NOS tank decals.
I'm sure if you looked you could find almost anything you wanted with a google search.
As for clearing over them, that's a good idea especially if a gasoline spill is possible. Be sure the clear coat you choose is gasoline resistant.
I've had good luck with Top Flite, model airplane clear coat. It stands up to gas, alcohol and nitromethane. Good luck.
Tom

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Custom Decals & Stickers, Design Online, Design Decals Online, Online Design

You can have them make whatever you want. Upload an image or do text only in a variety of fonts. They have a few sizes to choose from, but you could always have you're image or logo or whatever printed on an over sized sticker and cut off what you don't need.

I found this site because I'm thinking of ordering some stickers for my tank on my new build, but I wont know what I want on it until I see it built and ready to ride. ;)

WaterDog

Sep 12, 2010
Miami / Fort Lauderdale, Florida
The sponsor icon on here 'savegasmoney' has exactly what im looking as far as the kit, just not the specific graphic i want. Their decals are sized for the half gallon tank from the 66cc kits. They even have decals sized for the engine componenets. Ill poke around a bit with some different keywords. Ill post the link if i find something extraordinary.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
You can buy slide off decal paper that prints on your ink jet and then clear coat it. The decals are semi transparent however so you may need to print over a white background. This is what I did for my bomber bike's "betty."

Attachments

HYBRID

Sep 22, 2010
Indianapolis
Hi. The tank pictured was just flat unpainted metal. I had painted everything on it minus the
big Montesa sticker in the middle of the gas tank and then simply eurethaned over all. It's
not a "prize-winner" by any means, but a cheap inexpensive way to add a little
personal artistic expression. If you mess up, simply sand reprime and do over. I got the
Decal off Ebay for like 10 bucks. Hope this helps or at least gives you another option.
-Cheers
-HYBRID

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
You can buy slide off decal paper that prints on your ink jet and then clear coat it. The decals are semi transparent however so you may need to print over a white background. This is what I did for my bomber bike's "betty."
Fantastic! Good to hear too as I jus' picked up a pack of the inkjet transfer transparencies to play with (^)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Monkey,
Very imaginative. Being a WWII fighter fan the D Day stripes caught my eye immediately. That's great. I really like the rivet and panel line detail. Thanks for sharing with us.
Tom

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Yeah, turned out nice, though the decals took a few tries. The unit and aircraft markings as well as the bar/star are also decals since I was too lazy to just paint them and I had the materials. I had to leave a white space on the invasion stripes for that of course. I also made the "rivet" pattern in photo shop and applied them all over the frame.

The entire thing was then coated with automotive clear coat.

I only wish the bike was as fast as the decals imply. I'm working on the tweaking the motor now.

The unit and aircraft letters, btw, are the initials of my three sons.