what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

RC it sounds like you have tried all the tricks with no big gains, my little 48cc runs 25 to 28 cruise speed easy. It may give you a idea what it should run like if you go ahead and put the nt on, I have a nt as a back up and have run it on my bike. I found out what alot of people said about rich jettting but it still ran about 30 wot. With my cns and the copper spacer I got 32.6 sunday on a long flat country road.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

The biggest thing to the cns carbs I found is loose jets, maladjusted floats, airleaks around the spacer, and the choke slipping on. After taking care of those things I hit 33 on a quarter mile.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Noticed a small leak on the carb float bowl drain screw, the red thing had gas around it. Unscrewed it and slapped Teflon tape on the threads. Also tinkered with my carb needle setting since I'm sure my motor is broken in now. The needle clip was in te middle so I moved it down 1, that gave me really no throttle pull response. Had to put it back in te middle of 5.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Pulled head, Jug, carb and piston from my Kulana bike today, and what I found was surprising.

I knew I had a knock on the top end of this engine and that is why I had it down until repair, I figured it was the wristpin bearing causing the problem but this wasn't the case entirely, after getting the piston off of the con rod I pulled the wrist pin out or actually drove the wrist pin the rest of the way out being it was very tight in the piston and noticed that the bearing looked in perfect condition but the wrist pin itself was hammered out and flattend on one side where the bear rides on it, I also noticed that the wrist pin in this engine was a much larger dia. than in any of my other engines and the needle bearing was narrower also, the standard piston, wrist pin, needle bearing or clips would not interchange in this engine, I bought this engine used so I'm not sure of the manufacturer but I do know it is an older one because it sat in a fellas garage for 1.5 years before I got it and it was used when he got it, anyway........

I had a new standard size domed piston, rings, pin, clips, and some of the heavy duty needle bearings I had ordered from motion industries so I just pulled it down, cleaned everything up real good, made a new jug-block gasket, put some high tack permatex sealant on each surface and after a quick light criss X cross hone job of the jug with a brake cyclinder/small engine hone, I got it all back together, fired it up and went for a 10+ mile ride averaging 30-32mph almost the entire way, never missed a beat and ran very good considering the new rings and piston haven't had a chance to seat well yet, this bike has a 34T Alum. Kings sales Sprocket and I hit 41mph for just a short burst going down a slight decline, and it hit 38mph on the flat pretty easy, the exhaust is just a throw on bunch of stuff I had laying around until I get another SBP expansion pipe ordered for it, but it pulls good, runs smooth and NO MORE KNOCKING.....!

Anyone else ever run into the different size wrist pins and bearing before?

This was a first for me, the external size of the needle bearing is the same it just has real tiny rollers and is much thinner and narrower in width than the standard bearings.

below is a pic that may not be real clear but will hopefully show what I'm talking about with the size difference of the pins and bearings.

Sorry about the book here guys.!

Peace, map

Attachments

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California

Added some Bose speakers to the trike and blasted down the beach with green day, 3 doors down, etc...blastin'
drank a beer and had many thumbs up...

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Wm, Seaward, or the Point?
Bet it was nice...
cool & foggy at Morro Rock this morning... the usual summer WX lol

Thanks Greg !
I know I'm missing something...
7 mile speed run today. It just won't gather the R's...
Engine noise sounded like a periodic compression release engaged.
Crazy !
Maybe I'd better pop the head and inspect the gasket. Only reason I haven't is because I have none on hand and would need to make one from copper stock if it were bad... Just what I need, another project.

Ran through the radar sign at 24mph... best speed ever!
Gosh it was running horrible.

Interesting wrist pins/bearings, Map...
What's the group think is better, lighter for more R's and the nice looking roller cage, or the heavier pin with more rollers?
Which one went bad?

Best
rc

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

The bearing and wrist pin that went bad is the larger one ( odd ball size one ), I have never seen the larger pin and bearings in these engines before, but then again I dont have loads of experience tearing down a hundred of them either, it may be a very early version right after the brass bushings went away or something, not sure.

All I know is since I put the new piston, rings, pin & bearing in today that little rascal has really come alive, it lack a bit of low end torque from the throwd together exhaust I put on the bike I'm sure, but it will cruise easy at 32-34MPH now after just 12 miles on that new set of parts I put in.

It's pretty darn smoothe doing it too, and that makes it real nice.

I hope you just keep getting yours better and better......

Peace, map

Bet it was nice...

Thanks Greg !
Crazy !
Maybe I'd better pop the head and inspect the gasket. Only reason I haven't is because I have none on hand and would need to make one from copper stock if it were bad... Just what I need, another project.

What's the group think is better, lighter for more R's and the nice looking roller cage, or the heavier pin with more rollers?
Which one went bad?

Best
rc

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

Put the rear sprocket on. Park tools order finally arrived so I cleaned out my rear hub guts & packed em with red grease. Didn't have a syringe so I made one out of an inner tube, a chip clip, & this white cone thing I found in the kitchen drawer

I think it's a cake decorator.

Tomorrow should be the final mount & hooking everything up. Still gotta bend the exhaust pipe & get a headlight & speedo. Oh yeah.....need a gas can & oil lol

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California

Bet it was nice...

Thanks Greg !
Crazy !

Which one went bad?

Best
rc
Exactly that...from surfers point down to seaward and back..LOL!! nailed it..
BEAUTIFUL DAY!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Put the rear sprocket on. Park tools order finally arrived so I cleaned out my rear hub guts & packed em with red grease. Didn't have a syringe so I made one out of an inner tube, a chip clip, & this white cone thing I found in the kitchen drawer

I think it's a cake decorator.

Tomorrow should be the final mount & hooking everything up. Still gotta bend the exhaust pipe & get a headlight & speedo. Oh yeah.....need a gas can & oil lol
Neat Idea I like It!(^) That is a great one handed tool for the way I like to grease my hubs. I just drill about a 1/8'' hole in the center of my hub shells to butt up a grease gun to. Then I would cram grease in until I saw old grease swell out from the hub cones. ''This saved me from taking my hubs apart to re-grease them'' That always nearly took three hands. This is a one handed tool.

Folks with coaster brake hubs I imagine they still need to disassemble those and clean them out.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Hey GH,

"I just drill about a 1/8'' hole in the center of my hub shells to butt up a grease gun to."

...and the grease doesn't sling out from the terrifying speed your Morini Boxer is capable of ??? :)

I've got a buncha SA hubs here and ALL the little plastic bung stoppers are disintegrated, so any oil applied to them would be all over the place if I ran them. Grease would just be slower to exit. I was planning on threading the ho and inserting a set screw with T tape when I got around to trying one of them.

...and I thought of you when I first saw that ad for the 4.3lb Santa Cruz Blur carbon fiber frame.. :)
(you could Morini FLY over them goats heads and touch nary a one!)

Best
rc

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I have pretty much road with every cheap or high end hub there is. OK not every one of them. I have used my grease zerk trick for years now nary a problem. Sealed cartridge bearings are of coarse a little different but loose ball bearing hubs I do it to all of them. When you pack a hub good there will be a little grease seep out at the bearing seals but nothing out of hand that can't easily be reckoned with by one quick wipe over a couple of rides.

Heck I had bikes that I put grease zerks/certs on and some I never even covered the 1/8 hole. Never had any remorse from doing it and never a prob for me. I never had the grease come out of the 1/8 hole just saw it squirm out the bearing seals on my plain jane loose ball hubs. It's pretty nice to see the old black grease squirm out and the purty new grease show up.;)

Just think of how bearings buddies work on a Automotive trailer or boat trailer.

I got nice sealed cartridge bearings on the Boxer. Front wheel bearings never seam wear out on any of these bikes.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Been out of town for a week. Fired up the Morini on some 8 day old gas that had been sitting in it. Fired right up first tickle of the kick start and idled sweat. It was patiently waiting for me.;)

I still don't think I have sense to leave things well enough alone still pondering a bigger carb? :D

Really digging the homework on the China parts from Mapbike.:)(^)

Just did some major work on a building that was at a motionindustries place.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I don't know much about the guts of Sturmey Archer hubs, but if you just want to plug the hole, you might be able to get by with putting a patch of rubber over the hole and hose clamping or ziptying (2 ties) the rubber patch. That should be a good bandaid fix until you can do the grease zerk or something.

re: kids tearing up tubes, more patches than spokes....

I make my own tire slime, from $1 caulk from Walmart, with the same amount of $1 window wash (blue automotive type). I've sealed bike tires, tubes, and lawnmower tubeless tires with the stuff.

Check out Amerityre for kids bikes or low-speed bicycles if you're sick of flats (I have some foam tires on my wife's bike and I like them. They are grippy and roll ok even with a heavy rider. The 20" sizes are only about $20 each.

Hey GH,

"I just drill about a 1/8'' hole in the center of my hub shells to butt up a grease gun to."

...and the grease doesn't sling out from the terrifying speed your Morini Boxer is capable of ??? :)

I've got a buncha SA hubs here and ALL the little plastic bung stoppers are disintegrated, so any oil applied to them would be all over the place if I ran them. Grease would just be slower to exit. I was planning on threading the ho and inserting a set screw with T tape when I got around to trying one of them.

...and I thought of you when I first saw that ad for the 4.3lb Santa Cruz Blur carbon fiber frame.. :)
(you could Morini FLY over them goats heads and touch nary a one!)

Best
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Hey GH,
Yah, I had Bearing Buddies on one of my boat trailers... it was a nicer boat, (for the likes of me), so I had to sell it... but yah, I had to drag out the pressure washer and blast the inside of the wheels and tires to get all the grease off them ! I guess they are not supposed to do that???
Had a coors can duct taped over the spindle on one of em for a couple years. Had to re-do the tape now and then.
I am living wrong.
Have not been fishing in I can't remember when.
Worked on my giant butte today.
Gonna switch over.
Best I could do was a Rock Shox Judy DH off a Specialized Rock Hopper... Most the other cheapie forks with a 1" stem (steerer?) in the pile were for a 24" wheel, which I wouldn't mind, but all I got is MTB tires for the 24's.
Now I need to learn how to rebuild a Judy. got no travel... maybe 30mm and it sags right to that...
I drug out a set of ugly looking apes, and glad I did because the last bend is not comfortable... may need to buy a set...
The giant butte has a larger frame so I'm hoping I can lose the Pnut tank and just run a 2" tube for fuel under the top tube of the bike. I'd rather it look more like a bicycle than a MC.
Learning about forks/suspension forks, rake, and trail.
I lost trail with the Judy, so I'll probably need to rake the headset. I wanted more trail than the present frame offers. No off-road quick action for me!
The locals had a Cruise night, yesterday eve, and I made a couple passes down the mainstreet to look at the customs. There's quite a bit of old iron around here.
Need to make a pin tool so I can service the rear gear cassettes...
rc

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I worked in the R.V. industry for a while. I did a lot of break jobs on bearing buddy set ups ''trailers''. Folks were over packing them to the point that it got into the breaks. That's a hard set to use and gauge right..

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

My Paughco Porkster fuel tank came today. I won it on eBay. New with a primer coat on the outside and Kreem coated inside. I've been waiting for it due to needing it to get the dimensions right on my La Cycles(Thai) BigMo. I'm cutting the frame on the top and lower tubes to strech the frame and needed the tank so I can figure the King/Queen seat I'm fab'ing. The tank is real nice with 2 fuel ports, 1 a dummy, and it has tabs out the front and back of the tunnel. I'll be drilling through the frame and spudding the holes so I can bolt through the frame. The tank and tabs will help reinforce the cut and weld job.

I took the dummy gas tank plug off that comes with the Kreem that had been used in the tank. I wanted to feel if there was Kreem inside so I stuck my finger inside and felt it. I also felt the place where it had started to pull off the steel in big strips :( I think the etchant step was skipped or something or it had not been chemically cleaned.

I contacted the seller, we'll see what they do.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Dave, I think there's a post here abt Caswell tank sealer that you should run a search on to fix the Kreem... I don't recall the details.

GH, what hub are you running now?

Have you seen the new Trek bike with a belt drive and 2 speed automatic shimano hub?
If I had big $'s for a MAB, I'd sure like to try that setup...

Best
rc