grubee skyhawk 80cc

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
So whats the difference between the motors with the 8mm cyl. studs except that they have 8mm studs????? The 2 differences I see is the slant head and the cyl. studs.....Anything else???? It`s a 66cc motor....

The 8mm stud engines are different, they have 8mm studs. ;)

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I got a 48cc and a 66cc skyhawk both work fine theres bugga all difference, on the needle v bush saga in theory the needle roller has a higher potential for problems as Joe said but in reality(for me) of the 4 motor ive had 1 was bushed and was the only 1 to fail there wearing through it completely on 1 side.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Welcome to the forums, mitchwolfe. These chinese 2-strokes (also colloquially known in forums as HT, happytime, chinagirl) labeled 80cc are almost always 66-70cc.

You might want to try the Search function just above the forum header. You can learn more about the basics quickly with a bit of research and reading. No need to bump up old topics. :p

craftman

Jul 19, 2012
campbel,cali.
Hello I'm new here in the forum. I just finished my first cusum build and it is bad --s. I have a question about the x80cc.bk cenri.pullstart motor's needle bearings .Does any body have any info. on them? Can these engines be turned backwards when taking the chain off?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
hey does any no if these are actually 80cc or just 66cc ?
As Alman stated they are 48 or 66cc, there is no such thing as an 80cc and the web sites that advertize them as such really irritate me.

Anyway this is an old topic back to 2010 before the new US 2010 EPA regs kicked in regulating all the China motors.

The only legally imported engines since then are Skyhawks and that is only because Don Grube coughed up the $10K+ to jump through the hoops.
Gasbike/Kings are the only importers and both are run by the same LLC holding company.

Don sold out and retired (Good for him!) so now all they do is move boxes here in the states.
No tech support, no nothing, but the best damn kits for the money in my opinion.

~$200 delivered unless of course you subscribe to their mailing list.
Every major US Holiday I get a nice coupon, for the 4th of July I got one for $25 off so $176 delivered so I bought 2.

In short, any 48 or 66cc non-skyhawk motor for sale now has been in the box on shore well over a year and their EPA certified BS is 2009, but that don't mean they are total junk, I don't know nor do I care.
I read about all these problems with the 'cheap' kits so never bought one.

My first kit was a Skyhawk and 30 or so builds later it is still the only 2-stroke kits I buy.

Why?
Because I make my living building MB's, high end usually so I don't have time to dick with a crap kit is all, I expect it to go together easy and fire right up and 95% they do.

All the spare parts that come with every Skyhawk really add up when you do volume as well.
I mean what I am going to do with 30 gear pullers, gaskets, plugs, that stupid 'drill through the frame' front mount, etc etc?

I use or sell 'em local and in the long run pay less per motor than the cheapest motor kit you can buy.

Granted I may be a special case but the topic was about who knows the Skyhawk kits and I do know a bit about them ;-)

joeltrain

Jul 4, 2011
Douglasville GA
Hi I have had 3 80cc GT5's every one is different. I had a lot of problems with my 2009. Mostly castings on cylinder sleeve and head. Ended up stripping out crank case I had to take it apart so many times. I just got a 2011. It has 7 mi on it so far. The idler pulley is defective and the cylinder head is so far out of whack i just used the one off my 1st build instead of sanding it down. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. Gasbike is difficult to deal with but cheap. Many others have same kits for more money but will actually help you if you need it. If this is your first build i would strongly recommend choosing your dealer wisely. You may need his help. And BTW the CNS carb. My 2009 came with one and i was unable to use it. The 2011 has one as well but they appear to have finally fixed it. There is no longer any adjustment screw. Appears to work fine, and doesn't leak. Just like anywhere else it appears to take some time to get anything right in China but it does finally work. Good luck. If you need parts PM me i got LOTS - Joeltrain

Last edited: