the first evolution of an ongoing project

GoldenMotor.com

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
Not knowing which area to post the pictures that have been requested, i figure this is the right place for pic heavy posts.

In the next replies, i will attempt to show what i did, and why i did it. So far, i am extremly pleased with the results. There are several modifications i made purely for asthetiics. At least one of those mods are less than ideal when it comes ti comfort and rideability.

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
I chose to do my rear wheel first. My platform was a shimano nexus 3 speed hub. Its a large hub, has a good reputation, holds a lot of grease on large bearings. My thinking was with those attributes it was worth the difficulty of installing a sprocket. like i said, the nexus is HUGE. Quite a lot of metal had to go. I first tried to use a stone bit in a Dremel tool. Less than effective. I moved on to a drill bit. I pushed it through close enough that each hole touched the last. Then i took a jig saw loaded with a good bi-metal blade and free handed along my inscribed line. In the photos i highlighted that line with a sharpie. To make the mark i put on the rag mount rubber spacer thingy and aligned it with three bolts.

Attachments

Last edited:

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
The motor install was straight forward. I slicked up the mating surfaces to make certain there would be no casting flash or burrs to cause wobbles or misalignments. I wanted as solid a joint as could be had on my steel 1 inch tube frame. I chose to mount the CDI box just above the rear motor mount. This was a place where i think it will be protected a little from water and impacts, and allowed me a cleaner appearance. Hiding wires and cables is a challenge. The stock bolts and nuts were used and augmented with zip ties. All wiring was also secured above and below the connectors with zip ties, after being sealed with tape.

Attachments

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
The fenders got bobbed. Because less metal reduces weight, they would present less vibration, and because bobbed fenders look bada$$. I had the worry that vibration and constant jarring would weaken and destroy the stock fender attachments. I fabricated replacements from 22 gauge steel. The front fender required a sort of flat bottom "U" shaped arrangement. I made a slot in the fender so the rear "arm" of my bracket could extend up and behind the fork. The bolt pierces both sides of the mounting bracket. Several pieces will have to fail before this fender becomes a liability. The heavy wire support arms for each fender are the stock pieces. All i did was straighten each of them a little. There is quite a lot of clearance between the tire and the metal.

Attachments

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
The 1.5 liter peanut tank is temporary. Even temporary tanks deserve some attention. The ultimate goal for this bike will have a board tracker styled tank, everything will be painted Kelly green and cream, with chrome and polished aluminum. Because of my heritage, and being a hooligan, this bike is headed for a distinctly Irish flavor. To that end, i made a four leaf clover decal from aluminum tape.

Attachments

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
Looking good Mike.
Thanks Bruce. I will be taking and posting some more detailed shots later in the day. I have to take the grandson to play right now. Editing photos with my equipment is a cumbersome and time consuming process. I promise more will follow. I have at least two more mods that require exposure.

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
Im nearing my broke in time. Typically, four tank fulls are the recommended time running to achieve break in. Or so i have largely read. At the commencement of the fourth tank, i plan to droop tires and wheels, engine, fender, everything back to components, inspect, repair, repaint, reassemble, and keep on rockin the free world.

So far, i have had only minor problems. Annoyances, really. DAX sells a truly well thought out and nicely engineered kit. Most of my troubles have been due to my own ignorance, and over estimation of the limits this type of machine. I have yet to take a ride that someone hast flagged me down or followed me to my destination just to ask how and why and can they get one like this. i went for those cheap business card printers to give some personal info, my favorite vendor Dax , this forum, and twenty places and sources that affected my choices.

The bad....
My spark plug wire comes off a lot. I have squashed it down, zip tied it, tried rubber cement(that was an ill conceived notion), there such a thing as over tourquing. Who knew? I broke a BEAUTIFUL clutch lever mount. It had a pretty silver/polished aluminum handle, with a long throw that made clutching a pleasure. Dax had mercy upon my ignorance and fired off a replacement. Its great, fully functional, and has all the watching features i had already come to love. My bad, but it doesnt look the same. Its an attractive semi flat black with red highlight. I wanted to swap levers in the cradle/mount, but they are not identical. My machining tech is a Dremel and a few files. I can make it fit. Prolly work nine times out of ten. What if that tenth time parks a 3/4 ton ford in the center of my chest? I dig pretty, but i love functional. And job one is making it home without a bumper dent on me anywhere.

My tank has been a trip. This little 1.5 liter peanut tank hasn't had a leak or a drip or a malfunction. I sealed the threads at my initial installation. I bottomed out the nuts on the pre mounted studs. It still shifted on the top bar. My bike has 1inch steel tubes. Strong and quality welded. I lucked into a bike far beyond my means. It started life as a nashbar commuter with a three speed shimano rear. ( see above. Not for the faint of heart or the unadventerous). Not only did i have to modify the socket to allow the "rag" joint type mounting, but in order to adapt this rear to mate with my planned single wheel trailer, i had to get creative to allow installation of "stunt"pegs, BMX style, to allow for my own designed quick connect mounts.(more to follow on the trailer). I ground and filed and sanded the yellow space that comes standard on all nexus three speed rear hubs. LBS and all searches on the internet netted zero results for an extended axial(sp). only option i could see was to lessen the width of the over all structure. I was able to cut enough metal to get a full bite with the pegs. I will have to adapt shims to allow for perfect alignment, but that's no hill for a high stepper.

My original dream of an approximation of an early bike or a board tracker came out beautiful. Aesthetically pleasing and a perfect blend of modern tech and vintage style. I loved looking at the beauty and symetry . Riding it was a joy. Starting it, or peddling when needed, a WHOLE nother story. Im old. And fat. Not in the shape i was when i think i am. My expectations got in the way of real life reality. My bad ass clubman style bars weren't as fitting as i had hoped. By the time i got up to starting speed, i was getting dots in my vision, and losing balance. The years eat us all, and even though i wouldn't admit it, i am no exception. Well, luckily, i had some 12 inch rise ape hangers on my pedal bike. Perfection of function. Far away from my original vision. All plans are perfect until the battle begins....

Lets change the vision.

I still want a springer fork. Maybe now one with a built in rake. The (pardon me if my term is off) Castor should be more laid back. The nearly straight up angle makes this ride a little squirrelly. At higher speeds, anyway. This bike was made for slow speed manuverability. Im rolling at around three times the intended speeds (ten vs. thirty) its quick. Non forgiving. Adjusting the choke on the fly is dang near a death wish. Putting my spark wire back on requires a complete stop. A sneeze might be fatal. Im ok with that. Not everyone would be. When you pick your platform, take in to consideration what that bike was intended to do.

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
The good.....

Filling my tank, getting where i want to go, any time i want to get there, costs fifty cents.

I get flagged down everytime im out, folks loving the bike, wanting info, or asking me to build them the motor bike of their dreams. My friends and acquaintances are envious. And im having a boot full of fun. Its still chilly, but when i get where i was headed for, i got a fat cheesey smile on my mug.

I have the most unique ride in town. The cops that have stopped me have only wanted to know how to get a scoot as cool as this. A patch carrying biker has asked me to plan and design a mini twin to his chopper.

I have extended my range. I can get food and necessities in stores i was previously unable to reach. I can visit family that were heretofor beyond my means. I have a new level of freedom.

I wanted to write a book about five years in America without a car or anything that required plates or a license. The plan included a cross country trek. New evolution. There are facets i never imagined, now clear. This is a wonderful experiment.

Much more to follow.......