New bike! Old build!

GoldenMotor.com

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
The rule of thumb for sprockets is you usually get 1 mph per tooth so you should expect 4 mph over the 44t. I don't ride trails often but I've taken it up some very steep hills with ease. The bike doesn't get ridden as much due to me living in the city now. I'll have to look for what the tires are when home. I'll take a video sometime as well.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
How did you get so much speed? I have a reed but I didn't like it when I had it on my bike and I don't want to cut up my piston.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I have a fully ported top and bottom end with lightened piston. 14:1 compression and 110 octane gas allows it to spin high rpms. I don't have any reed set up just the nt speed carb

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Buying high octane gas won't do it alone you gotta have the compression to take advantage of the octane rating of the gas. The gas isn't that expensive but it's about 4x as expensive as what you'd put in a car. But when you only need a couple gallons at a time it's not bad

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I do have a high comp head and porting is done. I've been using premium shell gas. I think my engine will perform better with that gas. My bike looks a lot like yours.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
My bike doesn't get ridden much. I've used a gallon and a half in the last six months and that's with a leaky tank. I've got a few other things done to it. If your bike runs on premium fine I'd stick with that because gas is gas and octane actually resists burning. If you are pinging then it could be a worth while upgrade otherwise I wouldn't bother. Seems like you got a good platform to go off of. I'd get a hub adapter if I were you though!

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Yeah I plan on getting that and a new rear wheel to have it trued because I'm sure the spokes on bent. I'm also going to replace the chain tensioner. What do you mean by ping? My engine sounds like it reaches a max ram and won't Rev any higher I've never tried to hold it wide open downhill.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Pinging or knocking is when the fuel pre combusts before the piston has reached top dead center usually sounds like you dropped a screw in the engine. Doesn't sound good. That can happen usually when the motor is warmed up and in the higher rpms with higher compression engines. Doesn't sound like you are having that problem.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Well now that you mention it if I do hold it wide open for too long it does make that sound when it's been run awhile. Guess I'll pick up a gallon and see how it works there's a place that sells it right in town.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I tried capturing a video of a ride a couple days ago, but for some reason it stopped just before I actually was getting on it and I didn't realize until I got home. Hit 42 with the 40T with some really crappy wind conditions hitting my face and at about 12:1 compression. Got a laundry list of final things that need to be done with it before the midwest meet.

Need to do:
1.Mill down cylinder jug to fully use the 110 octane fuel (lower compression for new rings to settle)
2.Wrap the exhaust and open up the exhaust tip to 1" instead of I think it has like a 1/2" tip which could be restricting a bit.
3.Paint some odds and ends
4.Final torque down of everything
5.Zip ties here and there for neatness
6.Put on new gas tank
7. Clean the air filter
8. Refab a heat shield for the carb due to switching bikes I hadn't swapped it over

Little odds and ends that need to be finished. Should have everything done by next weekend. Might throw the 34T back on too. I need to get some more MPGs out of it so I can keep up with everyone during the meet!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Got a bit of work finished this weekend. Little things that weren't pressing, but Probably needed to be done before any decent size rides

Heat shield made for the carb due to the exhaust being so close.

Swapped back to the 34T. I realized during the midwest meet I am probably going to need the better gas mileage of the lower gearing.

Bolt on 40T kit ha!

When life gives you an externally threaded gas tank you uh... Make it threaded the way you need it threaded?

NT speed carb decided to strip out on itself. Just started leaking gas so I tried to figure out was wrong. Didn't even torque it down too much it just broke on me. Got a new one on the way so should be good to go. All in all a decent few hours I got to work on the bike. Now only got a couple parts coming to bolt on and it should be a good running bike!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Wrapped the exhaust today. My leg is safe for this upcoming meet!

Near the end when I was coming off the biggest part it kind of went to crap, but it's functional that's for sure.

Also got the new speed carb on. I like the new changes they have made. No more built in petcock and it came with an O-ring to seal it off.

No more gas leaks either now with the new tank! So most of my list is done a month ahead of time! Just gotta wait for my last part to come in and I am good to go.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri

Rewrapped the end of the exhaust and got her tucked in nice so my leg doesn't stick out much. When I redid the exhaust I tucked it in as close as I could to slide back the expansion chamber a hair to clear the clutch cover better allowing for A LOT better clearance.

And.... Painted the engine black to match

Alpha Centauri

May 29, 2016
New Hampshire
Ooohh, this looks dang nice! Couldja take a vid of what the exhaust noise is like? I wanna hear what a 14:1 compression engine sounds like breathing through an expansion chamber like that one. EDIT: looked on the first page, found the walkaround with it sitting there idling. You've got it tuned too lean, the idle should be a burbly sound, not a raspy sound. Making it run richer wall also allow you to take more advantage of the expansion chamber, because more fuel will be present in the exhaust, so more will go back into the engine.

Last edited: