Lost top speed

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Just get a all thread rod. Make your own mounting plate. Just a little imagination and a first trial run can take just as little as a 1/2 hour? if'en your in a shop of sorts. I got scrap tubes lying around as dies from pumbing to simple PVC. It is acually very easy! When done tac it up with a welder. Disassemble from tube and motor. Finish welding it.

The way I do it most of the time is back and forth from a simalar size pipe. Done it with the bike tube as weli Just not everything lol. Another helpfuff hint is a simple map gas torch or simalar heat range. I like to work at the table vice. It moves around just like putty with a little warming up. So don't skimp out and get thin as heck flat stock steel. If its just cheep stock steel your after?

Now you got a clamp as wide as you could ever want it ''the flat stock size''. Shoot if its like 3 or 4 inchs wide ones plasti dip on the whole thing would be a intersting experiment? Dunno? I use a very reselient roof rubber membrane. EPDM membrane. Nothing like bicycle innertubing at all IMHO.

We made a buddy's twisted tuned pipe work and fit the bike as a unibody structure. In his case he had milled CNC blocks done here locally. For his engine mounts. Nothing ever rattled loose on that bike again. Making the muffler a contributing facter to stiffness was a bonus as it got the muffler clamp mod linking the engine and pipe to the frame.

I hate stuff rattling apart from bad mounts that are suposed to be stiff. Instead they move in a way one does not perceive. Like a big honking crease frome a bare muffler clamp rod lol.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Jus' to be sure lol, U-bolt exhaust clamps are readily available in 1/4" increments at just about any auto parts supply, they're usually about $2 or so. "Black iron" pipe (typically schedule 40) usually has a sidewall thickness of almost exactly 1/8" & given it's such a short length, free is likely (cutoffs) or at most it'll be a buck or two.

So as one size over in clamp size is 1/4" - the two 1/8" thick bits of pipe fit perfectly :D

Here's a basic list of common, standard duty clamp sizes & a sampling of other grades for reference - if searched, there's also chrome, stainless and/or fully welded clamps out there as well; http://www.walkerheavyduty.com/downloads/english/catalog/11_Walker CV_Clamps.pdf

...of some interest if the pipe is a problem (clearance) are the "flat strap" U-bolt clamps, our size not available in the above list there's some 2" ones & larger here, again for reference & some searching would provide better results;
http://clampsinc.thomasnet-navigator.com/viewitems/3-8-u-bolt-flat-clamps/ufdo-series-clamps

The 1/2" width flat U bolt isn't quite as ideal as the pipe in reducing crimping force, but options are awesome lol;

...and to the bystander, the exposed, flat U-bolt isn't quite so obviously a repurposed car part ;)

Last edited: