what... the...

GoldenMotor.com

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
ok guys hears one for ya... i was makin the 25 mile ride home the other morning which ive done dozens of times... well i got about a third of the way when i heard a pop and thats the last time the bike ran...the first thing i thought of was that i somehow cooked my cdi so i just ordered a new one... well i put it on the bike yesterday and still no luck... since then ive gone thru every part of that motor save tearing into the block... i have spart, feul, air, compression and exhaust and still it wont run... been all thru the electrical... it checks out... i just dont get it... oh and the gas was brand new just mixed it before the trip with the same mix oil ive alwas used and 92 octane gas... WTF is going on with this pos?!?

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Re: what... the... f*#$@???

Don't call her a POS; that'll just make it worse.

Did you check your magneto's woodruff-key? If it sheared, you can still get a spark, but at the wrong time.

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh

i did check that cause i was curious if it was the timing... and i call it a pos cause i seem to spend more time fixing it than riding... but no its a **** of a lotta fun to tool around on... lol

anyway... im probaby going to order a new kit tomorrow and just put this one on the back burner for the moment... now that ive figured out most of the bugs the next one shouldnt give me nearly the troublèive had with this one...

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA

You don't need a whole new kit, just a replacement engine. If you replaced the cdi and it still didn't fire, the odds of it being electrical are astronomical. I'm curious, when you heard the pop you assumed it was the CDI, but didn't do a visual inspection? If I heard a pop, first thing I'm checking is the muffler to see if the end cap blew off. Doesn't sound like that's what happened to you, though. Is your spark plug in? Is the boot on? What kind of kill switch do you have, and how is it wired? A loud pop can only be so many things. Did you test the mag coil? An internal combustion engine needs 4 things to run, air, fuel, spark and compression. Any non-starting issue can always be traced to too much or not enough of one of those 4 things.

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh

the whole new kit is partly because im also building another bike and will need it anyway... the kill switch is the stock momentary contact... standard plug connectors... visual check was several times durring the 15mile peddal ride home... no visual signs of anything anywhere... i know it has spark because i put an impact gun on it to crank it over with the clutch engaged (not recomended... ended up stripping the nut that holds the magnet in place) but sparked right up... i checked for obstructions in the muffler... was clear... (funny your mention the cap, i learned the hard wat to double nut EVERYTHING AND THREADLOCK) anyway... pulled the carb apart, totally clean n clea... visual check on the feul filter showed it passing without issue and there was feul in the bowl... and there is pleanty of compression...
i really dont get it...
one guy mentioned it sounding like a blown seal? idfk...
but a new kit will get me goin again and give me pleanty of spare parts... this is my primary vehicle at the moment...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

...& it didn't look like this classic source of pop/dead?;

Then I'm not sure, you've been pretty thorough checkin' the usual suspects, spark & fuel - if you've that & compression it outa at least sputter... jus' for diagnostics you could give her a (small) shot of ether or WD40 in the carby's intake & try to fire her up just to see if you've a bad fuel/mix contributing to your problem... a slacker cheat not to be abused ofc ;)

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh

well... you see that inner ring? that was pretty well torn up but the integrity of the gasket was still in place... and if i get on the bike and peddal, it WILL sorta fire... it just wont go for more than 100' or so on its own... and since the head gasket was iffy i put high temp liquid gasket in its place and it held up fine... i let it cure for damn near 12 hrs today while i went to work... when i got home i tightened down the head and started the whole diagnosis process again...

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh

nd as far as the gas mix... it ran the first 10 miles without an issue... and the 25 miles up there the night before on the same mix...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Any idea on what might have "torn up" the inner part of the head gasket? There shouldn't be any contact to cause such... & jus' as a BTW, those small disposable pie tins (unperforated) make great head gaskets, best yet you get a free pie with your purchase :D

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh

lmao thats great! good to know! and no... looked like the nockout for the cylinder was actually smaller than the cylinder, so im thinking it was just heat wear... just from being exposed to a constant explosion... the wear seemed to stop at the actual size of the cylinder where it was compressed on both sides... it was weird...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Still shouldn't be worn or torn, the one in the pic above had around 6000mi or more on it, popped only because I'd forgotten the check torque routine for too long *shrug* could jus' as easy be nothin' tho... or your crank/bearings are about smoked & the piston is over extending... but usually it'll smack up the plug if it's that.

...anyway... im probaby going to order a new kit tomorrow and just put this one on the back burner for the moment... now that ive figured out most of the bugs the next one shouldnt give me nearly the troublèive had with this one...
I thought I should mention I'm not totally against this, if it's something you wish to do anyway - they're cheap, semi-disposable fun that really outa be the simplest thing in the world to fix... but sometimes not, they sometimes get cantankerous, they do get beaten & tired & develop behaviors as a result. If the first one served it's purpose, it can serve as spares for the next.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try or that it isn't worth it if ya hafta, it all depends on what your aggravation vs patience ratio is at :p

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh

honestly ive put this thing thru the ringer... ill take some new pics of my bike tomorrow... my biggest problem is staying off the trails till i get my softtail built... gotta keep reminding myself its not a dirtbike lol

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh

i spose it also doesnt help that i pull my 9 yo daughter around in a trailer behind the bike at roughly 30mph too lmao... i modified an old bike trailer and mounted a drop seat from my old ford so its basicly like her bein on the back of a sled goin down the road... omg you should see the looks we get lol most people think its awesome but there are those few that look at me like im some kind of ******* for doin that with my kid... but hey... it gets us around and she freakin loves it lol theres a picof that one on my profile.. oh and if ya zoom in on my bike, you will see what i mean about it bein beaten lol

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

so . . . did you eventually check your seals?

BTW, the head gasket should be deformed a bit in a ring nearest the cylinder since there's a compression ring on the head to pinch it down well - any non-metallic sealant used here will cause very high head temps because heat won't be transfered down to the jug - metallic paint would be better (either copper or aluminum)