Rear wheel bearing keeps coming loose

GoldenMotor.com

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
I bought the bike brand new. All 70 miles has been with the engine kit on it. Rear wheel bearings start to show lateral play every 15ish miles. Iv filled the rear hub with automotive grade wheel bearing grease too. My old bike had over 300 miles and did not have this issue. Anyone have any good ideas?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sounds like a coaster brake - they are made for 11mph, at 30mph they get hot enough to push the bearing - throw a real brake on the front wheel

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Give us the bike-model/manufacturer too. I have a Walmart Special that had its bearing-cup collapse after about 300-miles...I spent $10 on a good hub, and have 10X that mileage on it now.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I'm glad I asked: I THOUGHT it was the Genesis...it's what I have. The parts are garbage, but the frame is good. I weight 280, and carry about 50 regularly. The rear hub's crap...I mean REALLY crap. You can get away with the front hub, but that rear one's gonna cause heartache AS WELL AS THE SPOKES. The pedal-crank is garbage too. This all said, I've continued on the frame since I do like it. I haven't had pedal-power for about 6-months since the crank-sprocket's junk too. In any case, I now have a 44T on the rear, and my well-tuned engine can get me around and up-hills without he need to pedal ALTHOUGH I really need to get a good crank as it'll make starting easier, reduce stress on the engine, assist in hill-climbing.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
kiosk, are you intentionaly holdign out on me about your hub upgrades? lol. ill be honest, iv never searched for bicycle parts upgrades and im not sure where to look, or what what be an upgrade and what woudlnt be. im sure just about anything is an upgrade over stock hubs though.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Not holding out, just not sure of the manufacturer. Bought it as a spare-part from bike-shop. You can see and feel quality; visit a shop near you and get a deal.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Incidentally, I have TWO Genesis Two-Nines. I bought the second since it was the most economically feasible means of replacing my rear-rim (also, I'd have spare-parts). Before I was adept in tuning that bike's V-brakes I ended up ruining the wall of the rim when those cheapo brake-pads wore down. Buy some good pads. Also, since I replace about 5 spokes a month, and because the crank-sprockets on these bikes are shyte and will eventually fail you, I have for the last few months been riding without a chain and have also removed the rear-wheel sprocket cassette. The wheel's quick-release, so it makes maintenance much easier. I found the front disc-brake to be junk as well...I don't even have it hooked-up anymore...for over a year.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
so i went to the local. a new 700c wheel was 75 bucks. a hub was 35 without spokes or having them install the new hub and spokes. i got talking with the guy and he recommended i make darn sure my axle isnt bent and also to make sure the bearing saddles are locked effing tight.

so i bought proper wrenches. inspected the axle (it is bent slightl) and locked the saddles as tight as possble. im going to give it another try. if it fails ill get a new axle and try again. fails again ill be getting better wheel.

Last edited:

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
update. tighted the saddles and it last about 20 miles longer then previously. i removed the rear axle and staitned it the best of my ability and iv gotten about 80 miles out of it without any issues. if she comes loost ill be buying that new rear axle.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I've had problems with bending rear axles, Then realized my one of my rear drop outs was not quite parallel with the other, been good since I straightened it.
But having the correct spanners makes it a lot easier to get it right.
I've throw away a few standard rear axles from cheap bikes and replaced with CR MO BMX axles, for about $10. a good upgrade.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Here's a professional bike mechanic's take on cheap cone and ball-bearing wheel hubs.

Before you put that wheel in service, get the proper tools to do a wheel bearing overhaul, ( adjustable wrenches, cone wrenches, freewheel or freehub cog remover..) and disassemble the hub, remove the caged ball bearings, clean all the bearing surfaces sparkily clean of the OEM grease in mineral spirits, then pop the bearings out of their retainers and buy enough additional 1/4" ball bearings to load both sides of the hub with loose ball bearings. ( most likely about 9 per side..)

If running a rag joint drive sprocket, I'd replace the quick-release axle with a BMX or MTB equivalent nutted axle, preferably of Cro-Moly like Theon recommends. I would check your rear axle drop-outs for alignment just to be safe.

Dry the hub of any traces of solvent, then pack both the cups of the hub with high quality axle or outboard drive grease, and install the ball-bearings loose and then install the axle/cones and carefully adjust the cones/locknuts to a slightly light preload so that there is a trace of friction while turning, but not so tight it feels stiff or rough.

Having some spots with a tiny amount of free play won't hurt, these aren't Campy quality hubs, for that matter they 're not even Atom or Mallaird quality, but they will last with proper adjustment and frequent servicing.

They weren't really designed to handle more than one human power in normal use.

Which is true of most bicycles in motorized bike use.

Caveat Emptor!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Getting rid of the cages and adding maximum balls is a great way to help durability.
Old School trick!