No spark

GoldenMotor.com

cj8675309

May 27, 2014
Connecticut
So i was riding along and hit a bump. no spark now. i pulled the kill switch off changed the sparkplug sparkplug boot and wire and checked all the connections. nothing. ive only had the bike a week :-||

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
With an ohm meter check you have a dead short between your black engine wire to a head bolt, chances are the ground tab from the magneto coil to the fixed magnet broke free.
Just solder it back on.

cj8675309

May 27, 2014
Connecticut
the tabs on there. i dont have my multimeter at the moment... someone is borrowing it. this is pissing me off big time. i spent a good amount of my savings on the bike and engine. im turning 16 in july

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Have you checked the connection from the magneto coil to the bracket it's mounted on? The coil is often connected by a 'cold solder' joint (someone holds the wire in place and puts a drop of solder on it to hold it together, instead of properly heating and soldering) and is in my experience one of the first places these things will fail electrically. I've seen it several times. The failure isn't often visible, it takes a continuity test to confirm it.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
the tabs on there. i dont have my multimeter at the moment... someone is borrowing it. this is pissing me off big time. i spent a good amount of my savings on the bike and engine. im turning 16 in july
so borrow it back for the two minutes it will take to show where the problem is - doing a lot of work to fix things when you don't know what needs fixing will just screw it up worse

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How did you determine that the problem is ignition? Tell us how you checked for spark.

If the engine quit and won't start there could be other reasons.

Fuel, air and ignition. You need all three. Have you confirmed them?

Choke open?
Fuel to the carburetor?
Spark at the plug's electrodes?

It would also help if we knew what engine/carburetor you have.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hitting a bump in the road and the engine suddenly dying could have been caused by an NT's choke nut to coming loose and causing a full choke situation, but not the 1st thing to check on my list.

The magneto ground tab is a known ignition failure point.
If your head is not at magneto ground you will never get spark.
You can check it with a piece of wire and a flashlight.
The black engine to CDI wire and a head bolt need to have continuity.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
99% of the time, a no spark condition is due to a bad engine coil if you have checked all your wiring connections.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have never seen a bad cdi yet in my years of messing with these engines.
Buy just a coil.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
over the last year I've seen 10 or 12 bad CDIs - 2 in a row were bad right out of a case of 30 we bought - of these, three were sparking but at wrong timing

this is the reason I built the CDI tester

it is handy to have a spare on hand, but I've not yet seen both a CDI & coil go out at same time

cj8675309

May 27, 2014
Connecticut
I havent had time to work on it with all the final projects for school then finals. Ugh only two more years. I need the bike to get to work or im going to lose my job. If im sick, late, or mess up once im fired.