clutch problems

GoldenMotor.com

crazyinsane51

Apr 2, 2012
Florida
I got a 66cc 2 stroke engine. Something is wrong with my clutch. When I tighten up the cable with pliers at the arm, the clutch feels stiff but slips. So
I tighten the flower nut where the clutch pads are all the way and it stops the slipping but now my cable is loose and my clutch feels soft.

And then If I tighten the cable again it will feel good again but slips once again? The only way its working is if I tighten the flower nut all the way and leave it soft but it seems to be getting softer and sometimes I can stop my bike? I

I tried to tighten the main spring inside the engine and that didn't seem to help but it was loose if you ask me. I don't know what's causing the problem. :-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
check for pads that don't fit into the slots well to grab the plates on both sides - trim as needed

some pads may be a bit thicker than others, but should wear in after a while

sometimes the point at which the clutch arm locks is just plain wrong for a certain clutch - sometimes this can be altered a bit, but often a new clutch lever is needed

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How tight are you making the cable? You want some slack but hardly enough to measure. Not bow string tight but with just a tiny bit of free play in the clutch actuator lever on the engine.
Your problem might be that you're making the cable too tight.

Tom

crazyinsane51

Apr 2, 2012
Florida
The clutch is working much better now.

I loosened the cable to the point where it didn't engage at all. I know you told me not to do that but after playing with the flower nut I manged to tighten up the cable. For some reason when I loosen the nut, the cable gets stiffer and the clutch lever feels nice and hard. But to hard and it slips. So this time I tighten the flower nut to the point where it doesn't slip. My lever is a lot tighter now. Not super tight but at least it doesn't slip. So go figure ?