starting issues.

GoldenMotor.com

and69

Apr 24, 2014
Mesa
having problems with starting the engine. takes a while to get going. used to make a sound of turning over, now there is no sound, and takes about a half mile of riding fast and popping the clutch to get it started. any ideas on what I can try?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It would help us if we knew some details like what engine, what carburetor, plug gap, fuel to oil ratio. How many miles on the engine?
Is the clutch adjusted properly? Have you checked for spark (ignition)?
Your symptoms are not uncommon but we really need to know some particulars in order to offer help. Give us some details and we'll be glad to assist you.

Tom

and69

Apr 24, 2014
Mesa
not sure what engine or anything. Got it used attached to the bike. ran good for a few months. no markings on the engine. it starts, but takes a bit of trying to get it. it could be the cheap china model. the clutch I didnt think about. I did have the chain lock uo in the housing, so I took it apart to fix that. could that pin to ingage it cause a problem?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm going to assume you have a Chinese 2 stroke engine with a manual clutch. I'm not certain from your description but it sounds as if the engine isn't turning over when you release the clutch. That can mean you have a clutch adjustment issue.

What "pin" are you talking about? In the center of the engine drive sprocket is a steel pin, about 5/16", or 8mm in diameter. It pushes against a ball bearing and in turn disengages the clutch. It MUST be there as well as the ball bearing. Both should be lubricated with bearing grease.

I'm still not clear on your problem. Does the engine start and run, or does it not run at all? There are many other things to look at if the engine isn't starting, so try to be specific on what is happening, or not happening.

If the chain locked up in the clutch actuator cover it is probably too loose. You'll want 1/2" to 3/4" of slack in the chain. Too loose and it will bind up on the drive sprocket.

Tom

and69

Apr 24, 2014
Mesa
It starts and runs, but I cant hear it turn like it used to. I will try the clutch adjustment, and try this again.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The 'flower nut' on the clutch plate on the right is where you adjust that but if the engine turns over when you drop the clutch it could just be a buildup of crap in the crank case or a semi-clogged exhaust pipe.
to test for that just take the exhaust pipe off and plug out and pedal around a bit to blow any BS in the lower end.