RailBike

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I must have slipped off my stool and hit the floor pretty hard...

Picking myself up, dusting off, I feel like I just took a tumble on the bike, but I'm still thinkin', so I must belong in the tavern...

Has anyone tried one of these yet?

I sure think it can be done...
Got a few ideas.
A chinagirl would work!

seems to me if a wide roller is used out in front, with flanges on BOTH sides of it, the front bicycle wheel will NOT be coaxed into turning... and the rest of the bicycle will follow along, as normal... and another wide roller, out on a cantilever, floating on the opposite rail should handle stability.

There is most likely a 99% chance trying this in your neighborhood would be an illegal trespass on the railroad property... so this is for those who have a legal option in their vicinity... :)

rc

or a new version??

http://duckduckgrayduck.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/rail-riding2.jpg

well, the multiples really aren't working out as I had hoped... here's a vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKo2u6MI0DQ
...chainsaw powered!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Wonderful concept. Mostly impractical except in a few area's.
Trust me. You DON'T want to get caught on a railroad by the railroad cops without express written permission to use it. The rail police don't play and ALL railroad is PRIVATE PROPERTY even though it may not be in use.
Be VERY careful about checking the laws on any rail you plan to ride or you could find yourself in a WORLD of hurt.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Absolutely!

ANY enforcement person catching a glimpse of you trespassing on RR property and causing a potential hazard will zero in on you like a bf109 in a dive and NOT let up until you go down!

I still think it would be fun!
lol

google image search for rail bike is bringing me lots of pics and vids! ...with many legal possibilities for operation...

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
BTW: I'm also a VW Campervan nut...have had a couple and used to daydream about converting one to rail so I could explore the abandoned lines in the New York Appalachians. I was happily surprised a few years later to find that the Long Island Railroad had already implemented my dream back in the '50s:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow!
That's really neato, K !
VW van would be great for railriding in a lot of places.

I just spent some time looking at the state maps over at the abandonedrails website... an amazing collection of places over there, many with pics and further info, state by state selected from the master map!
No recent activity at their blogsite, though... that could change for the upcoming summer months!
rc

The mountain80 thread just might be the best info I have discovered on the net!
...for a standard bicycle conversion for use on rail...

Last edited: