11/22/63 Where were you?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
50 years ago, if you're old enough to remember this day, it changed our world. Where were you and what were you doing?
I was in high school, Auto Shop class when they came on the school intercom and told us what had happened and that school was out for the day. I went home, sat with my Mom and watched history unfold, live, in black & white. Things were never the same. The innocence of my youth died along with the man.

Tom

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I was 3 years old and, so, have no memory of it. I suppose I was at home.

But there's something about this that gives me a chuckle. At Arlington National Cemetary, in one of the small 'buildings' near the gate is a large photo of the funeral. So large that the people in it are nearly life-size.

Right there in the front row you can see Dwight D Eisenhower and Charles DeGaulle standing side by side.

Whenever I've looked at that photo the rather perverse notion comes to me that they're each kinda looking sidelong at each other and thinking, "Jerk!"

I don't actually know that there was friction between those two, but I'm willing to bet on it.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I was in a crib (I suppose) about 15 miles west of the event. I do remember going to the site when I was about 5 years old.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
On 11/22/63 I was in 7th grade. The news was delivered to the classroom through the school intercom system. In the front of the classroom Sister Mary Thadeus stood up from her desk and said: class let us pray together. Not even half way done with the first prayer she broke down and started crying. Things were never the same since the election of President Kennedy.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I had just got home from school (kindergarten), and was watching TV when the news broke in. My mom started crying.
We were one of just a few families on the block that had a TV so many of the neighbor's came over to watch the news with us all day. Just about everyone was sobbing. Very sad indeed...
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what can you do for your country...
We choose to go to the moon before the end of this decade because we can...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I was too young to remember the day it happened, but I remember my Dad taking me to his grave to see the eternal flame.
I was wearing a ridiculous sailor outfit and looked miserable in the pictures.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I was 5 1/2 at the time, here in Ga. we didn't have kindergarten we started school in the first grade. I was at home playing and I remember my mother calling me inside, then telling me to sit down and watch the news. I still remember the sense of urgency in her voice, I sat there cross legged on the floor for what seemed like hours. I watched the Cnn special last night that covered a lot of the assignation.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was apprenticing as a chef trainee in a very exclusive private club and I was walking down a ramp from the kitchen to the butcher shop when another apprentice came running up and said Kennedy had been shot. I asked him if it was President Kennedy but he had gone on to spread the word.
I knew who he meant but it was just to hard to contemplate. President Kennedy had a huge following in Canada and still does. After that it seemed that the age of innocents had died in North America.

Every time I see anything about President Kennedy I'm transported back to that time when I stood on a ramp in the Granite Club. I see the moment as I write this.

Steve.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Eight years old, third grade.

Yup, the world just stopped. People were silent, dumbfounded. Every TV had the news on.

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
I was on a city bus on my way home from HS (10th grade). The bus had made one of it's stops and the folks getting on the bus were all clamoring about how there was an assassination attempt in Dallas. I guess, his death was not yet reported.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I too was 3 years old at the time. oblivious eating cookies and milk probably.

I know now how important he was to America. Many Many things would be different today.

Audit The damn fed!.flg.