Not a bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Nice mini-bike baby!

A good strong one with nice fat tires, I love it!

With about 8 HP, that'll be sweet.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm thinking bigger...like one of the huge Vanguard Briggs V-twins...(If I can find another at a decent price)

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Well, I threw the 5hp briggs flattie back together today and mounted it up. Runs like a sewing machine!
All I need is to finish repairing the frame and setup the drivetrain. Hoping to scrounge a rear sprocket from the scooter store, but I'll have to buy a clutch. Got plenty of chain laying around.
Hoping to test ride it sometime this week once I gather some parts...
I used to love riding the small tired minibikes in my early years, and this really looks like a sweet adult version of those little terrors!

Here's the primitive band brake. Not too sure about this but time will tell...

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Your test ride should take you across the bridge, up through St Louis, over to Denver, through Billings and right into beautiful Bozeman Montana. At that point I will be happy to drop you off at the airport. lol
Just awesome man, keep us updated.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Well, went to Northern Tool for a clutch today. They didn't have any 3/4'" shaft 410 chain clutches.
Every size up to 1", but no 3/4".
I got mad.
I also like the look of this fake tank on it...

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Welded the backbone solid today. I think the tank looks great!

I think a mountain bike shock under the sub-frame for a smooth ride is going to be easy to fit in.

bill2781

May 24, 2013
okmulgee OKlahoma
that's a awesome free find you got there and from the pics looking great and I can imagine its going to be a lot of fun and might even get you in a little trouble if not careful . but im sure it will be fun trouble lol thanks for sharing pics of it with us .

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Some more brainstorming (brainfarting) from the shed...
Thinking a springer seat would go well with the vibe of this build...

Some bar extensions to drop from the frame, a crossbar for shock mounting, and some gussets and it looks doable!

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
That's lookin' good. Love these old mini bikes. I remember way back in the day, when I went into the local Schwinn shop and bought my first 10-speed. They had a Rupp chopper patterned after Fonda's Easy Rider chopper. Complete with American flag gas tank, big sissy bar and ape-hangers. I wanted it so bad.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Made a little progress today on the (not so)minibike.
Found a 420 sprocket that will bolt up centered on the farm implement style wheel. Had a heck of a time finding something suitable too! Almost gave in and welded it on!
The chain line looks long and floppy, but straight and true, so a roller or two should keep things from whipping around too much.

Still need to find or make a seat. I'm thinking a big 'ol plushy scooter seat would go good on this monster. Maybe a king & queen style with a back pad. I happen to have a headrest out of a mercedes that would work great as a backrest.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That's not enough reduction.

You need a jackshaft or a sprocket about twice that size.

Really. Get some jackshaft brackets and weld them on the frame and go at least 2:1 clutch to jackshaft.

Now that I looked again, go 3:1. That's a big wheel.

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Yeah, I'm thinking it will be geared too high as well, but I'm going to try it since I have all the parts already.
I don't mind as long as it just cruises okay.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I had a lil indian with a 5 HP flat head Briggs when I was a teen and weighed 160. It had 6" wheels and the tire OD was ~13 inches. At 5:1 it was a dog. Couldn't even pull me up the hill in the backyard or spin rear wheel in sand.

At 8:1 it took off like a jackrabbit, spun rooster tails of sand and was a blast to ride.

Looking at that I would say it needs at least 10:1 and 12 would be better.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Got some more done today. Huge scooter seat mounted, NT carb swapped, peanut tank (for now)
Swapped sheared flywheel key and it fired right up. Still have to finish bolting rear sprocket securely and fab a foot pedal for band brake.(Hand lever too weak)