Squealing clutch

GoldenMotor.com

BlaknBlu

Oct 16, 2013
Oregon
Whenever I ride my bike, the clutch makes a squealing noise as if it were rubbing against something. This noise ceases if I disengage the clutch while the motor is still running.

Any idea on what this might be?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
The clutch gear might be too loose and rubbing against the clutch gear cover

How is the clutch otherwise? Does it seem to grab in proportion to your throttling and engine revs?

You probably need to take the cover off and tighten the flower nut in the middle of the clutch gear-
first remove the set screw-

if it moves easily
tighten it so there's at least a little resistemce on the nut and put the set screw back in

I;m thinking it could also be too tight- if it squeals MORE as it heats up it may be too tight and grabbing more the pads as they heat and expand

you may even have to repeat this a time or two

I've got a motor where the clutch has kept needing adjustment - and I still don't know why

but it was rubbing on the cover- not squeeling- but noticable metallic noise, and even wore a groove in the middle where the flower nut is

got that stopped but the stupid thing needs adajusting too frequently

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Grease the bucking bar and ball under the front sprocket cover.
Don't mess with adjusting the flower nut since it's not the cause of your squeal.

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei
Hey maniac --

Grease the bucking bar and ball under the front sprocket cover.
Don't mess with adjusting the flower nut since it's not the cause of your squeal.
Greasing the bucking bar solved my problem of squeaking when walking with bike with the clutch disengaged. BlaknBlu says the noise ceases when he disengages the clutch. So this is a different problem I think.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Nope. Mine have done this before if left too long.
It can squeal either way, with the clutch pulled or not.
But it could be something else. I'm just suggesting what I would do first.

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei
Hey maniac --

Nope. Mine have done this before if left too long.
It can squeal either way, with the clutch pulled or not.
But it could be something else. I'm just suggesting what I would do first.
That's interesting. You have a lot more experience with these machines than I do with only one build under my belt!

dance1

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
maniacs right...start simple...if that dont work check the flower nut...ive always pulled clutch lever in tightened all the way in then back 2 notches fer the set screw..

@russ, just because this is ur first build doesnt mean u havent learned enough at this point to make suggestions fer people...and if u want more experience...buy another kit and put it on a bike half a$$ed...ride it make it break then fix it...j/k

at the o.p. also check that the clutch plate sits flush at the friction point...ive had 3 outta the box were bent...

also make sure ur premix is the right ratio...

sum say 32:1
ive run 24:1 break in then 40:1

good luck

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Hey maniac --

That's interesting. You have a lot more experience with these machines than I do with only one build under my belt!

dance1
I agree with wickedest1, one build does not mean you cannot contribute.
I've been building, tuning and racing two strokes most of my life and I still learn stuff here all the time.
These china dolls are one of the best teaching engines I've ever seen for the basics of two stroke maintenance and tuning.
And they are cheap enough to allow mistakes without a second mortgage!