Please Help!!! Ive replaced the entire electrical system and it still wont start!!

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Re: Please Help!!! Ive replaced the entire electrical system and it still wont start!

Is it wired like this?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Re: Please Help!!! Ive replaced the entire electrical system and it still wont start!

The magneto coil should have about 350 ohm across the black and blue wires.

There's no way to check the CDI box except substitution.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California

See #6 in the previous link, So you're Chinese HT won't start, or run correctly.

Another possibility - did you ride or leave the bike in the rain? If you did, your magneto coil/rotor may have become corroded and may not function properly.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

The fact you replaced the magneto is suspect in itself, the electrical system ground is supplied to the engine body by the tab at the top of mag being soldered to the engine body. If the common ground for the system can't reach the head for the plug ground you will never get a spark. Just Ohm check the tab right out of the mag to the threaded part for the plug, it should read a dead shot (0 ohms).
The magneto coil should have about 350 ohm across the black and blue wires.
That is not entirely accurate...
With a good Ohm meter you can check a portion of the CDI circuit like this.
Set you meter in a range to measure ~1K, like 2K or 10K.
Disconnect the CDI from the bike.
Put + (red) probe to the Black (ground) CDI wire.
Put the - (black) probe to the inner part of the plug cap that snaps on the top of the plug.

Around 692 ohms give or take a dozen ohms or so confirms the CDI circuitry does in fact function from ground to hot plug tip.

If you are unsure how an ohm meter works, when you touch the probes together it should read 0 ohms (adjust meter as needed), and a dead short.
Pegged at infinite ohms regardless of scale is an open.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

No problem fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Well, Going on ten days since yer first post. Whats up bro? is it running?
fatdaddy.

Bigredgasbike

Apr 2, 2010
California

fatdaddy, you were absolutely correct, i replaced the spark plug boot (even though the one on there was brand new, cheap piece of garbage) and it started right up, thank you all for your help, im extremely happy to have my bike back after all these months dance1

Bigredgasbike

Apr 2, 2010
California

sorry i took so long to reply, i was waiting for my new spark plug boot to come in, i ended up borrowing a voltmeter to test the coil from someone shortly after the last time i posted and the boot on there turned out to be bad. Funny how new parts dont always work (not really, it annoyed the crap out of me for months)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I know what it feels like to FINALLY get yer bike running again. And yeah, the chinese wire and boot are freaking garbage. But now you know a lot more about chinese 2 strokes, Don't ya! It's called the learning curve, and you just went through it.
Congrats on a running bike, Now just ride it like ya stole it bro.
Shiney side up, Rubber side down.
fatdaddy.

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario

Reading through all this has given me ideas of what to check for on my 80cc Chinese girl. It doesn't seem to be getting spark right now. I changed the crankshaft seal due to air leak but the bike has been sitting for a few weeks or better. It doesn't even try to fire up. I'm going to check the kill switch wires first and clean the mounting areas for ground. I'm tried another magneto coil and cdi box but that didn't help. I'll probably buy a new spark plug boot too.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I had 4 ht engines, nary a single problem with the kit boot or spark wire. It just goes to show the quality (and by that I mean lack of) of these kits. You just never know what parts are going to be good and which are going to fail.