Drive case and bucking bar problems, just when I thought I was done!

GoldenMotor.com

cruzndestroy

Mar 22, 2013
South Texas
Hey all, I come for your help again after searching through countless threads about drive sprocket covers, bucking bar and bearing, clutch adjusting etc but I was not able to find a solution.

Ok how it started was I purchased a 415 chain for my grubee from thatsdax since they fit the piratecycles sprockets perfect. Forgive me for I am a total newb. I could not fit the chain on the drive sprocket so I removed the drive case and drive sprocket (instead of removing master link and feeding the chain through..dumb I know). I remvd the nut that holds the drive sprckt and used the sprckt removal tool. I was able to take it out fit the chain and install it back on no problem using a mallet to tap it back in. Now the bucking bar sticks out a 1/2" (with bearing still in it of course) and cannot fit the drive case back on flush. I did read its only supposed to stick out a 1/4". And I did adjust the flower nut on the clutch side. Pardon if I shouldn't have done that...
What should I do? Thanks, Josh

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
hard to say what is going on, but I'd first take the flower nut completely off and try to screw the drive cover on to see if something has gotten jammed and will pop thru

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If I remember correctly, theres a good sized spring on that shaft. Maybe it's simply not tight enough? I'm not sure if this is possible as I have never had to mess with this shaft on any of my bikes.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
unscrew the flower nut - evenly tighten the three screws of the drive cover as far as you can while watching the rod the flower nut screws onto to see if it moves - try moving the clutch arm too while watching it

hopefully it may come unstuck or something will catch your eye as being the problem

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The bucking bar length is critical for a properly functioning clutch. A few thousands of an inch will make a huge difference in how it works because of the cam action of the clutch actuating mechanism. You'll probably need to experiment a few times to get the length precise.

As was suggested above you'll benefit from smoothing the end of the bar where it contacts the cam in the cover. I like to smooth both the bar and contacting surface of the cam with a Dremel sanding disc then polish those same surfaces on a bench buffer. The smoother you can make them the easier the clutch lever will be. With a little work and proper lubrication you can get your clutch to disengage with one finger.
Good luck.

Tom

cruzndestroy

Mar 22, 2013
South Texas
I tried screwing the case back on like it is but the bar only goes in about a 10th (or less) of an inch. The engine has not been turned on at all (o miles) so I doubt something would be jammed in there. Thank you for the replies. I will continue to experiment on it as suggested.