idling is good, but loss of power while riding

GoldenMotor.com

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
So today was an exciting day cuz i wanted to try out my new spark plug since i figured my last one would not give me enough power to start my bike. it is a ngk bp6hs? obviously this spark plug has a huge top that the boot will not fit on so i think i will swap it out for an automotive boot later on. so i reswapped the plug and the bike starts fine, weird since i had trouble starting the bike yesterday with about same weather temp almost. While testing the bike out around the neighborhood, the bike would jus not go like it used to, there is absolutely no power. Power starts to drop even on flat ground which i thought was very strange because i had no problem couple days ago wit the power issue. what do you think could be the issue with no power? idling is fine, just when it starts to move. I switched the c clip from rich to lean and then back to the middle where i had a tan spark plug from before. This is starting to get frustrating. i was hoping to be enjoying this bike this summer but this chinese girl is giving me to many problems. Already got another new 2 stroke motor on the way and if this one craps on me im gonna forget about these motorized bicycles and move up to buying a motorcycle. Already invested around $600 into this to include the bike.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Possibly carburetor air intake leak-
try to plug it with something, maybe electrical tape for now- order an "O" ring or two for the carb intake- I think they are at Sick Bikes and maybe others

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
yes it has the nut on top. spark plug isnt the issue because i swapped it back out for my previous plug i was using the ither day when the motor was running fine. im gonna take apart the carb and see if anythung is clogged

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Dude, your problem lies in your inablity to understand mechanics.

you claim to have taken something apart and then put it back together and that it did not work the same after you did.

User error my friend, try harder. Pretend it's a video game or something and try to max out your 2 cycle motor skill.

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Dude, your problem lies in your inablity to understand mechanics.

you claim to have taken something apart and then put it back together and that it did not work the same after you did.

User error my friend, try harder. Pretend it's a video game or something and try to max out your 2 cycle motor skill.
my ability to understand mechanics is jus fine. only thing that i "took apart" was my spark plug and that is simply unscrewing the piece. So don sit there and criticize my "inability to understand mechanics." But i however manage to find the problem. My air filter was clogged with oil so I cleaned it out and hopefully gonna test it out later today. Thanks for your help though! if u don have useful insight on problem solving i suggest u go to a different thread. Thank you dont come again.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yep, Prolly just a dirty carb. And hey Master-shake, Sometime it's not WHAT you say, It's HOW you say it. And telling a guy he don't know how to change a plug probably wasn't yer "best ever" reply to a thread. Let's ALL try to help without offending, Just sayin.
fatdaddy.
Are ya using an inline fuel filter? If not, get one. $3 at Kragens in the small engine department. Get the clear see through one. The red one they sell is crap.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yep, Prolly just a dirty carb. And hey Master-shake, Sometime it's not WHAT you say, It's HOW you say it. And telling a guy he don't know how to change a plug probably wasn't yer "best ever" reply to a thread. Let's ALL try to help without offending, Just sayin.
fatdaddy.
Are ya using an inline fuel filter? If not, get one. $3 at Kragens in the small engine department. Get the clear see through one. The red one they sell is crap.
Well said, FD. I was going to delete the offending post but your response is a better choice. That way others will see how NOT to respond to a question. Thanks again.

Tom

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
fatdaddy.
I thought about getting a universal one from advance auto parts but it just seems too big to put on the bike lol but i guess i could give it a try. but i did manage to find the problem which was the intake filter was clogged from the oil so i had to wash it out as it was mentioned i shoukd do for the low profile ones. rides great now! but i don know why it clogs so fast and easy.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Too much blow-back through the carb, maybe. Also, if it's really dusty the wet filter will pick up all the crap (which is good) but clog faster.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yeah, 2 strokes are just dirty little girls. I ride entirely in the city, no dirt roads at all, So sometimes I wont even use a filter. If ya take a good look at the original filter the ONLY thing that's gonna stop is ROCKS. If I did a lot of dirt trails I would buy the best filter I could find, But not a lot of trail riding in San Jose. So I modified a little cheapie filter for my Hussy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/28104172647...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_2092wt_1004
You might try a Jaguar CDI. I've never tried one, But I hear they solve a lot of timing/firing problems. And that's a little problem with the China Girl. With the timing "set in stone" on a stock engine, It won't let the engine run at peak efficiency through all power bands. So they ALL throw a little unburned fuel out the carb.
And the fuel filters in the small engine department at kragens are just the right size.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Yeah, 2 strokes are just dirty little girls. I ride entirely in the city, no dirt roads at all, So sometimes I wont even use a filter. If ya take a good look at the original filter the ONLY thing that's gonna stop is ROCKS. If I did a lot of dirt trails I would buy the best filter I could find, But not a lot of trail riding in San Jose. So I modified a little cheapie filter for my Hussy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/28104172647...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_2092wt_1004
You might try a Jaguar CDI. I've never tried one, But I hear they solve a lot of timing/firing problems. And that's a little problem with the China Girl. With the timing "set in stone" on a stock engine, It won't let the engine run at peak efficiency through all power bands. So they ALL throw a little unburned fuel out the carb.
And the fuel filters in the small engine department at kragens are just the right size.
fatdaddy.
well i don seem to have any issue wit the firing problms no more after switchin to a better spark plug and spark plug boot for cars, but i did want to try out the jaguar cdi. Just a lil pricey at the moment. Def didnt think bout off road travel of how it affects the intake lol thanks

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I was gonna suggest that your air filter is probably clogged with blow-back, but I guess you figured that out already... In the future it would be good for you to post what type of kit you are running and what type of carb you have when you are seeking advice...
I was also gonna mention that the NGK spark plug will work with the stock spark plug boot, you just have to unscrew the cap off the spark plug where the wire connects (should see a threaded stud there when you put on the stock plug boot), but you did the right thing already and got rid of the stock wire and boot and installed an automotive wire (good move!). If you are running a CNS carb with the red plastic air cover, do yourself a favor and get rid of that air filter and buy a high flow cone style filter, SBP has several to choose from.

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
I was gonna suggest that your air filter is probably clogged with blow-back, but I guess you figured that out already... In the future it would be good for you to post what type of kit you are running and what type of carb you have when you are seeking advice...
I was also gonna mention that the NGK spark plug will work with the stock spark plug boot, you just have to unscrew the cap off the spark plug where the wire connects (should see a threaded stud there when you put on the stock plug boot), but you did the right thing already and got rid of the stock wire and boot and installed an automotive wire (good move!). If you are running a CNS carb with the red plastic air cover, do yourself a favor and get rid of that air filter and buy a high flow cone style filter, SBP has several to choose from.
thanks for the input! i would mention which kit but i bought mine off ebay lol wish i did buy a name brand one though. runnin the NT carb which seems to be super simple compared to others but wouldnt mind runnin a dif carb, jus don know which one. Also im running a low profile intake filter which is a nice peice that didnt take up to much room