White smoke coming from sprocket cover

GoldenMotor.com

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
Hey all. Lately I've been having troubles with my X80. The motor will still run even with choke all the way up, and the sprocket cover is spitting out white smoke, as well as the exhaust. What does this indicate, and also, if i need to replace the crankcase gasket, what are all the tools i will need??

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Dunno about the exhaust...that'd be too much oil IMHO, but I suspect the sprocket-smoke is the bearing-seal goin' south. I have an X80 too. Easy to split, but you'll need the sprocket-puller tool (like $10 on eBay if you don't have one). How tight is your chain? Make sure you have some slack...could be putting too much torsion on the drive-axle.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Pop off the mag cover and the sprocket cover with it running to see exactly where it's coming from.

Regardless, don't run it too long since it's running lean.

And...run it at 40:1 if you already aren't.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the engine runs with the choke on (up) you have a serious air (vacuum) leak. Start at the usual places which are the intake manifold gasket where it attaches to the cylinder and the carburetor where it slides onto the intake manifold. Both must be air tight seals.

You might have a crankshaft seal problem too. There are two, one on each side of the crankcase, clutch and magneto side. One is behind the small gear on the right side; the other behind the magneto rotor (magnet) on the left. It's not uncommon for the seals to have been installed incorrectly at the factory. They must be fully seated in their bores and not cocked or protruding.

Tom