Engine not popping?

GoldenMotor.com

fogell420

Oct 14, 2012
Portland Oregon
I just finished putting the motor on a road bike... choke is up, fuel is running... it runs but theres no 'pop' and it doesnt move at all. any help?
i have a hunch it's the chain tension.. i adjusted the chain tension very firm because it kept jumping off the sprocket..:-||

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Not sure what you mean by "pop". Do you mean the engine is bogging down when you give it throttle? Or are you saying that when you pop the clutch it isn't engaging the chain drive? If it's bogging down, struggling to go, flooding out, or racing you probably have an air leak. The most likely place are where the carb connects or at the intake manifold. Look for oil leaks or spray carb cleaner or WD40 and look for bubbles while it's running. Also, check spark plug and don't ride with the choke on, once it starts turn it off.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You're going to have to be more specific about your problem. We aren't understanding what's happening, or not happening.
Is the engine turning and not starting or is it seized and not turning at all.
Help us help you. Describe exactly what is going on.
It would help to know what engine you have too. We are assuming it is a Chinese 2 stroke which is the most common but we're only assuming.

Tom

Tom

fogell420

Oct 14, 2012
Portland Oregon
2 stroke engine and NT carb.

it will make a low roaring sound but theres no 'pop' (what i mean by pop is the popping sound it makes when it starts to move)... it makes a low sound but it doesnt move at all. i can keep the sound going if i keep pedaling but it still doesnt wanna move. idk what the problem is...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
So your engine isn't starting. You pedal up to speed, about 10mph, release the clutch and the engine turns over but isn't starting.

You need three things for the engine to run. Air, fuel and ignition.
How have you confirmed those three?

Are you using the choke? Is it open or closed? Lever up is closed or choke on, lever down is open, choke off. try leaving the lever at the 1/2 way point.

Have you confirmed that you have fuel flowing to the carburetor from the tank?

Have you removed the spark plug, held it against the cylinder head cooling fins and spun the rear wheel with the clutch engaged and observed a spark at the plug's electrodes?

Check these things and get back to us.

Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Have you tried holding the throttle at different positions while trying to start the engine?
Most like somewhere between 1/2 throttle to full throttle. As soon as it starts, hold in the clutch and feather the throttle for a minute or two and let the engine warm up at low to medium-low RPM before riding it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And try the choke at the 1/2 way point. You also might have one of those engines that like a little extra fuel to start. The spring loaded button on the NT carb will provide an over rich condition by sinking the float for a few seconds. Some folks call it a primer but it doesn't pump. Just holding the button down for two or three seconds might be what your engine needs.

If you have air, fuel and igntion that engine will start. You'll just need to experiment to find out what it likes/needs. They all seem to have a personality of their own.
Good luck. Keep us posted.
Tom

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Try starting fluid or remove the spark plug and put a few drops of gas into the cylinder head and then put the plug back in to see if that will get it going. Also try removing the kill switch from the circuit till you know for sure it is running.

Might have to find a hill or overpass to get it to start.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Had a new engine yesterday that about wore me out getting the first start out of it. Had to find just the right choke setting to make it go. Don't worry though, as after it's been started once or twice, it gets much easier. Probably just the rings taking a few minutes to get a good seat.