First Time Build - Won't Start Up

GoldenMotor.com

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
Merry Christmas everyone,

I just finished putting everything together, including fabricating an idle pulley wheel out of a roller blade. Everything is finally running perfectly when I pedal and I have no problem getting the bike up to the necessary speed to start the engine. Unfortunately, when I release the clutch, nothing happens. I filled the tank with a 1/16th oil/gas ratio, and followed all the instructions to the best of my knowledge.

At one point, I unscrewed the spark plug to watch it while I pedaled and dumped the clutch - but no sparks occurred. Is this normal?

Any ideas? I'd LOVE to get this thing started on Christmas, after FOUR DAYS of building, hang-ups, jury-rigging, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

My engine is from bikeberry - it's a 60/80cc chinese model with NT carb and a Schwinn Delmar.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
keep the plug out leave and in the plug wire,an the clutch lever out and lay the plug on the head close to some metal and roll it forward and watch for spark.Make sure it's wired right:blue to blue and black to black.....wire no kill switch yet it could be bad,if it starts just pop the clutch lever real fast with the brake on to kill it.and wire nothing to white wire cap it off and tape it.......good luck

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
Thanks for the responses. Right now I have Blue CDI to blue Engine wire, black CDI to black Engine, green Kill to blue CDI, multicolored Kill to white Engine wire

So I should ignore both the green Kill and multicolored Kill wires, and cap off the white Engine wire - then pedal forward with the spark-plug unplugged, and look for spark? I'm gonna give that a go, but I just wanted to make sure I understood that correctly - I'll let you know tomorrow how it all fairs - thanks again

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You know it won't spark if the plug isn't touching the head?

It's ok to wire the kill to the white wire. Some instructions say to do it that way.

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
Here's a picture of my engine to CDI hook-ups and a picture of my fuel in-line which seems to be leaking a little - if you can spot the problem causing my failure to start, you win a million bucks

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't see anything wrong with your electical. I'm sure you'll insulate the white wire. I don't like the connectors, but al long as they're tight, that will work for now.

If the float bowl is leaking where is it coming from? Is it the gas line, or the float bowl? Check the nipple where the fuel line is attached to make sure it's tight.

If it turns out to be the float bowl, then the float level probably needs to be adjusted. You would want to lower the level a little bit.

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
Hey, thanks for the quick response,

I just switched out spark plugs from a brand new power sprayer with a Honda engine, and nothing changed (I don't seem to understand how to properly check for spark).

I'm real new at all this, and not very mechanically-minded, but I'm a quick learner. So forgive me when I ask, but what is the float bowl? -- EDIT: I just looked up float bowl and I think I know what it is now, but how do I adjust the level? Do I just soak up some of the gas with a rag?

The tank and the line leading from the tank are solid and leak proof - the leak seems to be occurring where the fuel tank line meets the carb - that brass nipple on the carb doesn't seem to form a tight enough seal to prevent it - I'm gonna have to attach a hose clamp methinks. Let me know if any of this makes sense / explains why there's no start yet - I'll go insulate the white wire now

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if your head is painted, you'll need to hold the plug against the muffler bolt to get a spark - if you can't see it, then hold the plug in your hand and your hand against the muffler bolt while you turn the engine, if you don't feel the spark in your hand, you're not making one for some reason, so check stator & CDI

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm real new at all this, and not very mechanically-minded, but I'm a quick learner. So forgive me when I ask, but what is the float bowl?
I know.

Make sure the nipple is screwed into the carb body tightly.

Adjusting the float level on your carb is easy, and if you haven't checked it before, it's always a good idea to take a look. You have to remove the carb. Remove the 2 screws holding on the float bowl. Carefully seperate the float bowl from the carb body. You can use a paper towel to absorbe the fuel left in the bowl.

Now turn the carb body upsidedown, being careful not to let any pieces come loose. You should be looking at long brass tube sticking up, called a jet holder, with a brass jet screwed into the end. Make sure both brass pieces are screwed in snugly.

Now notice a brass piece shapped like a 2 prong fork that straddles the jet holder. This is what you need to adjust. To lower the float level, you slightly bend the prongs upward. What I usually do is look to see if one of them is lower than the other one. Whichever one is lower, bend it up enough to match the other one. You may have to repeat this bending process again if it still leaks. The actual float level doesn't seem to be that critical. I try to always have the 2 prongs level with each other, and just high enough to stop it from leaking. That's why you need to check it even when new.

Last edited:

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
It appears that the Spark Plug Wire from the CDI isn't working properly. I borrowed a multimeter and tested everything - they all were in their proper ranges according to a Sticky I saw posted on this forum, but the Spark Plug Wire leading from the CDI consistently put off no results.
So, other than ordering a new CDI, what can I do?

And, can I hold the company responsible for sending me a bunk CDI? They already forgot to send an idle pulley wheel, and a broken CDI is just the icing on my cake. Are CDI's common, like do they sell versions at automotive stores?

Thanks for everything

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
check that both ends of the wire are screwed in correctly (tight, with copper inner touching screw) also check that your plug cap has all the pieces inside to snuggly grab the top of the plug (there're pics somewhere that show all the parts)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You can try just replacing the plug wire and the cap. Try a local auto supply. A lot of people have trouble with the stock ones from the kits.

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
I re-soldered the connections and got the multimeter to register on all CDI parts, but it still failed to start. No spark. I even tried another spark plug. What kind of sick joke is this? I give up, now I'm gonna have to pay some guy a bunch of money to fix it. I spent over 35 hours and have nothing to show for it

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
Today I received a brand new CDI and a brand new Mag coil, by 2nd day air, and the bike still won't start up. I even had 3 different spark plugs on hand just to check them out.
Everything on the bike looks, feels, and does what it's supposed to from the throttle to the clutch to the rear sprocket, everything!
This is unbelievable, I feel utterly defeated. I have no clue what's wrong with the bike.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Today I received a brand new CDI and a brand new Mag coil, by 2nd day air, and the bike still won't start up. I even had 3 different spark plugs on hand just to check them out.
Everything on the bike looks, feels, and does what it's supposed to from the throttle to the clutch to the rear sprocket, everything!
This is unbelievable, I feel utterly defeated. I have no clue what's wrong with the bike.
Ok, If you know it's wired right, and gas is getting to the carb, then I think I know what's wrong.

Nothing is wrong, you just don't know how to start it.

I have a neighbor that built a china girl this year. I'd never met him before, but one day back in the spring I was driving by his house and saw his bike in his driveway. As fast as I could, I hopped on my bike and rode to his house. He was standing there with a puzzled look on his face. Since he was a totol stranger, just to cut the ice I said hi, and told him I thought I was the only guy in the neighborhood with a motor bicycle. He informed me he just build it, but he couldn't get it to start. I think he'd been at it a while judging by the look on his face. I took a quick look at his wiring, which looked fine. Then I ask if it had gas in it? He said yes, plenty of gas. So I ask him if he would mind if I tried to start it. He said go ahead.

I turned on the choke, and made sure the gas was on, and started pedaling down the street. As soon as I let out the clutch the motor started turning over, but it didn't fire till I rolled the throttle to about 3/4. After that it started right up.

That's the difference between not starting at all, and easy starting. In other words not much difference, but if you don't get it right it seems like it will never start.

I rode back into his driveway an explained how to get it so start. After that I don't think he had anymore problem.

Last edited: