My DAX is stuck and it won't turn

GoldenMotor.com

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Hi guys and gals;
I have a DAX, 80cc 2 stroke since April this year, and it as been running just fine. Until yesterday. The first time it stalled was in the intersection, got it going, went a few blocks, and it just stopped. Could not restart. It acted like it wanted to, but it didn't. Got to my destination by pushing the bike up the hill. Went home a few hours later, by pedaling, and let the clutch out a couple of time to try again to start it. No luck. The motor will not turn, even after the clutch adjustment, installed a new spark plug. Spark? Haven't checked it because the motor won't turn.
Today, when trying to start the bike, let out the clutch and the back wheel stops.
Do I take off the head? Do I remove the clutch completely? Where do I go from here?
Your answers are appreciated.
Dave

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
First, cross your fingers & remove the clutch cover to see if something is stuck in the gears, then pull the magneto cover and check for something stuck in the rotor. If not, pull the barrel and see if it's the top end stuck or the bottom end.

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
thanks for the reply; I have taken the clutch cover off, adjusted the clutch. I haven't taken the clutch off, for I need the tool to remove it, and I have ordered it. By the barrel, do you mean to remove the head and casing?

Thephx1911

Dec 9, 2012
laffWhen you pulled the spark plug was it wet or dry if wet & the Electrode was black or nice brown your top end ( should be ok ) if it was dry & white you may have Seized up the top end. You can pull the head & check the top of the piston for Damage if it looks good go ahead & pull the jug if it comes off easy you know it's in the bottom end some were & it never hurts to change out the gaskets & torque the top end Periodically. While waiting for your clutch tool. I would rather have my piston Seized than lower end. Good luck

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
You don't really need to take the clutch out yet, just take out the spark plug and watch the clutch as you try to roll the bike. If the large gear tries to move, but the small one doesn't, look carefully for something stuck in the gear teeth. This is a good time to stick a screwdriver under the small gear and see if you can lift it a bit - if so the bearing is shot & you need a complete rebuild or new motor.

Next, take off the cover on the other side where the wires come out, and see if that has something stuck, or if the bearing on that side moves up/down.

If all is good to here, then remove head and cylinder and see if just the bottom end will turn.

by this point, you should have an idea what's wrong.

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Well it looks like I have my work cut out for me. I am very surprised this has has happened so early in the life of this motor. I have had it only 8 months probably don't have 700 hours on it. Oh well, I do as you suggest by trying to move the magneto. The small gear on the right side does not move. If I don't have any luck on the magneto, I'll remove the head.
Thank you.

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Theph, the plug looks normal.......I 'm going to check on the play of the gear on the right, and check the bearing to see if there is any movement on the magneto, and pull the head..... Thanks for your comment.

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Well guys, here it is.... The motor was locked up. Tighter than a drum. So I pulled the head, and found a real bad scarring on the cylinder wall. From something. It was from the exhaust port going up to almost the top of the cylinder wall. It was deep, maybe 1/32, and 1/4 inch wide. Something got in there.... After I remove the motor from the bike and pound the piston out, I'll find out what it was. I have ordered a new motor from Duane, thank you for your replies.......

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Either a piston ring or a ring alignment pin from the piston ring groove would be my guess. It might also have been a wrist pin snap ring.

It had to be something from inside the engine, unless you run without an air filter. Even then, something big enough to do that much damage would probably not get into the top of the cylinder or between the piston and cylinder wall.

Tom

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
I wanted to post a couple of pics..... but there is scarring, and it appears that the rings failed.........I'll try to get the pictures later, but I have to re-size them, a new motor is on the way.....
tnx

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I think that needs replacing : )

Never seen bolts that corroded either - makes me wonder what that engine went through before it got to you. I've heard of returned engines being repacked and shipped out again, but thought it only happened on ebay.