Why a Motor Bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
That's true. Every motor bicycle is different. Harley's are close to that, because everyone buys crap to customize theirs, but they all start out the same, and from across the street most models look about the same. As a matter of fact it's gotten hard to even tell a *** bike from a Harley from across the street.

I never really wanted to name any of my motorcycles, but most horses are named, and I've named all my motor bicycles. Naming a MB seems like a natural thing to do. I've had my Sportster almost 25 years, and I've never once wanted to name it.
With a motorcycle just about anyone can ride one and if it breaks you can get just about any motorcycle shop to fix it. With a motor bicycle you really need to be mechanically inclined to own it or have someone near by that is. They are our pride and creativity that we craft and enjoy. As we build them we choose the way it looks, but many times the bike tells us what looks right on it. We may use others ideas, but we will in the end make it our own by our little changes.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
With a motorcycle just about anyone can ride one and if it breaks you can get just about any motorcycle shop to fix it. With a motor bicycle you really need to be mechanically inclined to own it or have someone near by that is. They are our pride and creativity that we craft and enjoy. As we build them we choose the way it looks, but many times the bike tells us what looks right on it. We may use others ideas, but we will in the end make it our own by our little changes.
Yes very well put. We really are all very much alike here on this forum. The truth is the truth, and you can't change that.

mexican

Oct 6, 2012
Tulsa
My first project is a baby compared to what you guys build but hey, we all start somewhere, don't we?

Some day i will play with the big boys!!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My first project is a baby compared to what you guys build but hey, we all start somewhere, don't we?
Some day i will play with the big boys!!
I don't see anything you've got to be ashamed of. That's a very clean build. I'm sure you'll have a great time riding it.

I have a Cadillac too. This is a Cadillac AV Sport, but after going through a couple of motors in a short amount of time I decommissioned it, and now it's my non motorized riding bicycle.

mexican

Oct 6, 2012
Tulsa
I don't see anything you've got to be ashamed of. That's a very clean build. I'm sure you'll have a great time riding it.

I have a Cadillac too. This is a Cadillac AV Sport, but after going through a couple of motors in a short amount of time I decommissioned it, and now it's my non motorized riding bicycle.

That is one mean looking ride!!
way above my limited knowledge at this point!
I'm going to start a winter project with a 2 stroke kit, i will be asking a bunch of questions, hope you guys put up with me!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It works, gets you from A to B, and is cheap to run. All the boxes are ticked, and it's neat and tidy. How much else do you want?

When I get mine built, it is going to be a right dog's breakfast.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
In my opinion, motorbicycles are the "new" motorcycle culture. I put the word "new" in quotation marks because motorbicycles themselves certainly are not new, in fact the first vehicle to cross the Continental United States was a motorized bicycle. But this is undeniably a culture that mirrors early motorcycle culture, when soldiers came home from the war and built motorcycles using whatever they could find. Isnt that what many of us do here? And, as with that early culture, the best of us as builders (not including myself in that category yet, just for clarification) are constantly pushing the envelope. That early culture had several shootoffs, from bobbers to cafe racers to choppers and everything in between. I see our little hobby taking many different forms and directions, each unique in their own right and distinct from the others. And any builder out there is only limited by his own imagination. The real reason why I think that mb's are the new motorcycle culture is because they are more economical than motorcycles or cars, and in today's economy, any culture that is based on saving money is bound to thrive. I do see myself as a motorcyclist, and I am proud to be part of this culture. This culture may not get as much media exposure, or be as "socially popular" as other forms of motorcycle culture, but then again, we dont do this for them, do we? No, we do it for us. We are a culture unto ourselves, not dependent upon what society may think or feel about it. We are modern day motorcyclists, hearkening back to the days when two wheels ruled the world, and I believe they may some day again.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I would like to propose that motorbicycles are the "new" motorcycle culture. I put the word "new" in quotation marks because motorbicycles themselves certainly are not new, in fact the first vehicle to cross the Continental United States was a motorized bicycle. But this is undeniably a culture that mirrors early motorcycle culture, when soldiers came home from the war and built motorcycles using whatever they could find. Isnt that what many of us do here? And, as with that early culture, the best of us as builders (not including myself in that category yet, just for clarification) are constantly pushing the envelope. That early culture had several shootoffs, from bobbers to cafe racers to choppers and everything in between. I see our little hobby taking many different forms and directions, each unique in their own right and distinct from the others. And any builder out there is only limited by his own imagination. The real reason why I think that mb's are the new motorcycle culture is because they are more economical than motorcycles or cars, and in today's economy, any culture that is based on saving money is bound to thrive. I do see myself as a motorcyclist, and I am proud to be part of this culture. This culture may not get as much media exposure, or be as "socially popular" as other forms of motorcycle culture, but then again, we dont do this for them, do we? No, we do it for us. We are a culture unto ourselves, not dependent upon what society may think or feel about it. We are modern day motorcyclists, hearkening back to the days when two wheels ruled the world, and I believe they may some day again.
While it sounds good at first - I must say I don't agree with your "proposition" at all, not even a little bit, it's simply flawed in too many ways to be credible & is even perhaps a contributing factor in the potential downfall, a cessation of this activity as we know it.

It begins with the contradiction of a "new culture" that's not new in any way shape or form, either as motorcycles or motorized bicycles, but the most profound error is proposing the primary distinction between motorcycles and motorized bicycles is economy alone, that you even see yourself as a motorcyclist - abet on a huffy not a harley, some shoddy kit in place of a honda.

By doing this you're doing a grave disservice to both the motorized bicycle and motorcycle enthusiast, directly inferring that the only point to motorized bicycling is if you're cheap, that they're mere imitations of something else, even that there's no innovation or uniqueness left in the motorcycle realm - we are not "modern day motorcyclists" we are motor bicyclists and it is that distinction above all else that holds the most importance, yet is exactly that you've dismissed so readily.

For it is within that distinction that remains a rarity indeed and that is a freedom to express a creativity unhampered save by the most general of outlines, that should you refrain from gross excess you may build what you will, ride where you will and be beholden to no man, subject to no inspection, no ongoing taxation or insurance - that it is left to you and you alone to judge yourself, your creation and your intent.

It is one of the very last vestiges of such trust in self reliance and our relative maturity, allowing anyone interested to decide for themselves what they wish to create and how they wish to create it, regardless of cost or rationality.

It is this, one of the very last examples of independence that harkens back "to the old days" as "a culture unto ourselves, not dependent upon what society may think or feel about it" and is in fact the only true distinction between motorized bicycles and motorcycles.

For if you wish to build a custom motorcycle "from bobbers to cafe racers to choppers and everything in between" you are more than welcome to do so and many do - provided they follow the strict letter of the law, to be fully compliant with every aspect of the inspection criteria, from DOT approved lighting to safety standards, then to be subject to that inspection again on a never ending annual basis, to be registered, to be plated, to carry insurance no matter your usage or even if it's to be used at all.

While motorized bicycles do have some legal limitations, they're generalities in comparison, a mere description of the perimeters in which you're free to do as you will, you're actually still entrusted with your own interests.

Be proud for this, be proud of being a motorbicyclist unfettered by paper or plate, to have found one of the last remaining freedoms of self-determination. Do not style yourself as a cheap motorcycle in a longing for acceptance for if you wish for a motorcycle and it's trappings, by all means get one, build or buy one and avail yourself of the benefits of bureaucracy, the security in the conformity of compliance.

You may choose to have a motor bicycle based only on economics, utilizing the least expensive components then pretending you're a motorcyclist by adopting a culture unrelated save for the vaguest reference to a common ancestry, emulating a style instead of acknowledging a truth...

I for one will continue to savor my independence no matter the cost, my creativity no matter the culture, I will ride on knowing I've done my best, proud to have done so, proud of those that have done so before me, prouder still that I'm actually allowed to decide for myself.

These are not motorcycles, they're motor bicycles and the day that is discarded is the day I will ride no longer.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Bicycle was the first 'freedom machine' I had. expanded my range.
then I discovered I was able to understand motors, and fixed everyone's mini-bikes. Too many limitations with the small front wheel...
abt then, honda hit the scene with the ct-90's and the far sportier S-90's.
I dropped em all like an old newspaper for the Vtwins.
long distance was now possible.
then 4 wheels provided a rolling party!
then they became required to cart my tools around with me for work.
life was simpler on two wheels!
Yes, I did cars that barely touched the 12's, which was pretty darn quick for the street, but two wheels was always a lot more personal fun.
Only thing better would be an ultralite, and I never actually got there.
Now, the bottom of the bucket is rusted and the list seems to be seeping out... to somewhere...
Never did the mopeds. Just not enough power to suit me.
Only a rare whizzer, topper, mustang, or hummer, here or there...
Not many at all. Not sure why.
Today, and with our imminent future, and my limited needs, I think the personal transport capability of a motorized bicycle is very valuable and there should be a lot more of them in use.
and THIS is for Dan...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPOQE_LUESs

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
While it sounds good at first - I must say I don't agree with your "proposition" at all, not even a little bit, it's simply flawed in too many ways to be credible & is even perhaps a contributing factor in the potential downfall, a cessation of this activity as we know it.

It begins with the contradiction of a "new culture" that's not new in any way shape or form, either as motorcycles or motorized bicycles, but the most profound error is proposing the primary distinction between motorcycles and motorized bicycles is economy alone, that you even see yourself as a motorcyclist - abet on a huffy not a harley, some shoddy kit in place of a honda.

By doing this you're doing a grave disservice to both the motorized bicycle and motorcycle enthusiast, directly inferring that the only point to motorized bicycling is if you're cheap, that they're mere imitations of something else, even that there's no innovation or uniqueness left in the motorcycle realm - we are not "modern day motorcyclists" we are motor bicyclists and it is that distinction above all else that holds the most importance, yet is exactly that you've dismissed so readily.

For it is within that distinction that remains a rarity indeed and that is a freedom to express a creativity unhampered save by the most general of outlines, that should you refrain from gross excess you may build what you will, ride where you will and be beholden to no man, subject to no inspection, no ongoing taxation or insurance - that it is left to you and you alone to judge yourself, your creation and your intent.

It is one of the very last vestiges of such trust in self reliance and our relative maturity, allowing anyone interested to decide for themselves what they wish to create and how they wish to create it, regardless of cost or rationality.

It is this, one of the very last examples of independence that harkens back "to the old days" as "a culture unto ourselves, not dependent upon what society may think or feel about it" and is in fact the only true distinction between motorized bicycles and motorcycles.

For if you wish to build a custom motorcycle "from bobbers to cafe racers to choppers and everything in between" you are more than welcome to do so and many do - provided they follow the strict letter of the law, to be fully compliant with every aspect of the inspection criteria, from DOT approved lighting to safety standards, then to be subject to that inspection again on a never ending annual basis, to be registered, to be plated, to carry insurance no matter your usage or even if it's to be used at all.

While motorized bicycles do have some legal limitations, they're generalities in comparison, a mere description of the perimeters in which you're free to do as you will, you're actually still entrusted with your own interests.

Be proud for this, be proud of being a motorbicyclist unfettered by paper or plate, to have found one of the last remaining freedoms of self-determination. Do not style yourself as a cheap motorcycle in a longing for acceptance for if you wish for a motorcycle and it's trappings, by all means get one, build or buy one and avail yourself of the benefits of bureaucracy, the security in the conformity of compliance.

You may choose to have a motor bicycle based only on economics, utilizing the least expensive components then pretending you're a motorcyclist by adopting a culture unrelated save for the vaguest reference to a common ancestry, emulating a style instead of acknowledging a truth...

I for one will continue to savor my independence no matter the cost, my creativity no matter the culture, I will ride on knowing I've done my best, proud to have done so, proud of those that have done so before me, prouder still that I'm actually allowed to decide for myself.

These are not motorcycles, they're motor bicycles and the day that is discarded is the day I will ride no longer.
Well, I didn't ask you to agree with me, and the fact that you don't doesn't change my opinion or make you right. As my mom used to say, you can argue till you're blue in the face.......

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Furthermore, my point about our culture and economics was not based on being "cheap" or on building cheaply, it was about saving on gas. There are people who spend way more than I could ever afford to build motor bicycles way better than I could ever think of designing, and I say that cost is still justified by what they will save in gas compared to many motorcycles and just about any car. And part of the early motorcycle culture was based on building and maintaining an inexpensive ride. Soldiers coming home from the war didnt have a lot of money. Many of them modified bikes that they already owned, with tools they already had. As far as the "distinction" between motorcycles and motor bicycles, the first motorcycles had pedals. By today's legal standards, my bike is not a motorcycle. But I do not care one iota about legal standards and definition. I am free to define my bike and myself as what I want to. After all, riding is riding, its about attitude, not what you drive. You think I'm adopting a culture and emulating a style? You don't even know me. Yes I like a certain style, but my bike does not perfectly imitate that one style. In fact, I have said in my bike thread that I can see my bike two different ways for almost the exact same reason. For me, its not about being "cheap" as you put it. Its about being able to create something as unique and creative as what I have while being able to take full advantage of very limited resources. This is what I consider to be my greatest accomplishment within this hobby. There are plenty of builders out there who do attempt to emulate certain styles and even build almost exact replicas of board track racers. Are they "emulating a style" rather than "accepting a truth"? To me, the fact that our culture enjoys more freedom than "legally defined" "real motorcycles" brings us a lot closer to early motorcycles than guys that ride Harleys. Back then, people built what they wanted and drove where they pleased, just like we do today. "adopting a culture"? We are the culture.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Barely Awake, you talk about freedom, but yet you dont think I should define myself as a motorcyclist or consider our hobby a part of the motorcycle culture. You are the one who wants to draw lines around our hobby and say no, its not this and its not that, its just this and thats it. So we have the freedom to build and ride whatever we want, but we dont have the freedom to think outside the lines that some people want to draw around us? thats not freedom, but thankfully I dont live with the regrettable problem of having to respect those lines. The day I let someone else define me or my bike is the day that I stop riding.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I think the coolest part of these bikes is that they are in a grey area and we are able to use our creativity to maximize the GO! out of a small BANG! and they offer lot of freedom for the builder and rider in most states in the US.

No need to argue about it, we each have our own things that motivate us to do this. That's the whole point of this thread, is it not?

I never rode motorcycles as a kid since they're expensive when you have cars too. This is a good way for me to get a lot of "seat time" as well as the creative aspects. None of my bikes currently have pedals, and my gas bikes will get scooter floorboards for legality as "gopeds" lol. It's because my ankles are all jacked up and the last time I pedaled hard I almost re-tore my achilles tendon on my left foot. Well, that and the fast motors don't clear pedals well! :) Motorbicycles allow people that are disabled in some ways to be able to ride, and ride fast!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow!

That's some heavy duty verbage!

I GOTTA get involved in this!

i dunno if there is even a side i can stand with, but think i better read the entire thread before my two cents hits the block... or it's off to the pillory for me!

:)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't think we're ever going to be, THE, new motorcycle culture, or at least probably not, but more accurately I think maybe we're, A, new motorcycle culture. Even though we're not new, if we were to become more mainstream most people would think of us as new.

And as much as I hate the idea of calling our beloved bikes motorcycles, instead of motor bicycles, the distinction is mostly just a legal one. In reality it is a cycle, and it does have a motor, so therefore it is a motorcycle in a strict interpretation of the word only.

But it's an huge insult to call a nice motor bicycle a motorcycle, even if that is technically what it is. That's like saying (name any beautiful woman) is just a girl. That's why the enlightened among us have such a negative reaction when we hear them referred to as motorcycles. We know well what the differences are, and motorcycles always come up short.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Motorcycles rock at doing 70 up the freeway to the next town fast.

Motorbikes rock at going right past the barricades at street festivals and farmers markets.

They are what they are, and they are good at doing what they do best.

They both suck at doing things they are not good at doing.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Thats because you think of one or the other as less or more, instead of seeing that both are different versions of the same thing. I personally think of my bike as closer to an original motorcycle, and therefore more like one than modern motorcycles. I can only see a MOTORCYCLE purist wanting to exclude our bikes from that category. You can have a negative reaction to my opinion, but my opinion remains the same, as does yours. I dont ride my bike to pedal, though sometimes I have to, my main motivation for even getting on my bike is for the use of the motor. I prefer to think of my bike as a motorcycle, but one that does not possess many of the limitations and disadvantages of a bike legally recognized as a motorcycle. One advantage of a legally recognized motorcycle over our bikes is a faster, more powerful engine and a multi-speed transmission, although there are motorbikes out there that rival even that. But think about it this way. A motorbike can start and run fine in cold weather, doesnt have to have registration, insurance, taxes or tags, and can be built in whatever way you desire. I would rather include my bike in the motorcycle category and yes, be part of A new motorcycle culture, than exclude myself based on what other people want to define and draw lines around. No one will ever draw lines around me or my bike and be able to say, "Now you have to stay inside this line because I say so". It just wont ever happen.