Why a Motor Bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Motor bicycles have blown my little mind. I've always considered myself sort of a major know it all, on all things motorcycle. I've lived a lifelong dedication to riding. It's who, and what I am more than anything else in my life. I've had handle bars in my hands since I was 3 years old. When I was 6, I used to tie tin can lids onto the handle bars of my bicycle. They were my gauges. I always loved putting balloons in the spokes of my bicycle wheels. If I ran out out of balloons then playing cards were good enough. I bought my first motorized 2 wheeler when I was 13. A kind of Cushman thing, for $25. I was the youngest person in history to attend the drivers school I went to. I got my motorcycle license at 7am on November 21st 1968. That was the first second the drivers license office was open after I turned 15, and I was the first in line that day. I got my first speeding ticket 2 weeks later. I don't know how I made it that long lol.

I was always aware that the first caveman motorcycles were made from bicycles. Harley's were made from bicycles after all, but by the time I was old enough to start riding, they were nothing more than distant memorys. Even Whizzer's were long gone by the time I started riding, in the mid 60s. I think the advent of the Japanese motorcycle put an end to them for good. All I can say is at least I had heard of them, but that's it. In my mind no real man wanted such a puny toy like motorcycle anyway.

Back then the closest I came to motor bicycles were mopeds. But I considered them beneath my dignity, even when I was so young that I was still riding my Sting Ray. I had a long, long way to travel before I became enlightened enough to be able to appreciate a motor bicycle, and finally realize that less really is more. That's a difficult concept for most people to grasp, especially us Americans with our lives of plentiful excess. It was only two years ago that I accidentally stumbled across a picture of my first china girl. I was instantly intrigued, but I didn't exactly know why. Something was telling me, I had to have one, even though I had a garage full of Harleys at the time. I guess it was a case of love at first sight.

Now I'm just like the majority of us here. Most of us have ridden bikes all our lives. We're in our 50s. We can ride any bike we want. Motor bicycles have become what we crave through the process of natural evolution. We're truly enlightened. We don't ride motor bicycles because they're cheap entry level vehicles, like beginners tend to think of them as. We ride them because we know they're the highest form of 2 wheel contrivance. We don't buy them, we make them. You have to make them. That's one of the things that sets them apart. They're an extension of who we are. We're creators. Making ever better ones is an obssesion. It's an addiction. Trying to make a perfect one. It's god like.

Now when old acquaintances see me on my motor bicycle they're always so surprised that this is what I'm riding now. They always want to know where I got it. When I tell them I made this, it amazes them. It's a great feeling to hear them tell me, they think my bike looks store bought. I always tell them the same thing. That this is where you end up after reaching highest level of motorcycle enlightenment. Less really is more.

.weld.mbv.:ride2::)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The best compliment anyone can give is to say, "It looks like it came out of a factory" That's when you know you've created something, just a cut above what you normally see.

Motorized bicycles have been around, as Biknut said, for eons but what we build today is far different than those early creations and he is right when he says that they have an unexplainable attraction. Why would I want to ride an underpowered, uncomfortable, actually inefficient little machine when I could go buy a brand new motorcycle? Why? Because my bikes are an extension of me, not something that just anyone can buy. They are a source of pride for the builder, just read how pleased a man is when he gets his first bike on the road, and they are an outlet for creativity.

I've been involved with them for nearly five years and I see no end in sight. I love building them but when I don't feel like working on a new build, I ride what I have. Two-fold enjoyment.

Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There's just something magical about bicycles!
Motorcycles are tons of fun, but riding bicycles makes you feel young again.

I collect bicycles; I have bikes that I've only ridden up the street & back the day I bought them... I have bikes so kewl that I wouldn't even consider putting a motor on them.

I'm a total bike nut, & the only thing more fun than bicycles is putting motors on bicycles!! (^)

Motorized bicycles take you back to when you were a kid & you always dreamed of putting a motor on your bike... It's even more fun now that I'm grown up than I ever dreamed it could be! :)

mexican

Oct 6, 2012
Tulsa
I'm glad i'm not the only crazy old man out there, my 20 year old son keeps telling me to act my age and quit playing with kids toys, i keep telling him that my heart is younger than his!

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
Yeah, I keep saying that I'm not going to build another one, but then an engine comes along that screams to be "built". That's when I realize that I don't have any more room in my apartment and am forced to get "rid" (ie:sell/donate) one to someone who needs it. Currently I am in the process of rebuilding/updating an AMF Open Road moped with a "Solo" engine.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think one of the most attractive things about motorized bicycles is that each is unique. We all build them to our tastes, or with what we have laying about in our garage. It is much more expensive to build a unique motorcycle.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That was truly great to read BN. Really.

Made me think of the line from the book "Johnathon Livingston Seagull" (Tom met the author!) "It was never about eating for this Gull. It was about the flying" Way less corny in context.

Have been pondering the thought as well for years. "Why a motor bicycle?" Personally and as has been said is in part the fruition of a childhood dream. In part, an easily achieved goal. Expense and skill wise.

The addicting part, again for me, is they really are functional art that you get to ride. When I took my first ride in public, I was a bit embarrassed. 30 some thing and on my 8 year old, self's dream bike. The reactions to it/her ditched that right quick.

Really is one of those things. Ya love em or are just not impressed.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
When I built my first motorized bicycle, it was primarily to be a cheap form of transportation. Today, its an extension of myself. Its more than just something I ride back and forth, its something I have brought to life. I remember sticking a playing card in the spokes of my bicycle wheel as a kid, and holding it on with a clothespin. To me, it sounded just like a motorcycle, lol. I have always been a fan of bicycle riding, though not always an avid bicycle rider. When I first discovered bicycle engine kits, I was searching craigslist for a cheap used moped. I ran across an ad for engine kits, and discovered it would be cheaper than even a used moped. So I bought one. Motorizing a bicycle seems like a natural step to me. 3 years later, I haven't looked back yet.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
When I took my first ride in public, I was a bit embarrassed. 30 some thing and on my 8 year old, self's dream bike. The reactions to it/her ditched that right quick.
LOL Dan, if I had half a brain I would be embarrased. Luckily I don't suffer embarrasment when I ride anymore. My Moto Guzzi cured me of that lol.

The first time I rode my mb to my favorite biker bar, Strokers, was pretty funny. Instead of riding up on my Road King, or even my beloved 1200 Sportster, I come ringdinging in on the Atomic BB LOL. 59 years old and it's come to this LOL. Some people in the crowd were laughing. I couldn't help think how funny it looked too.

But wait a minute. Most of these people are detecated bikers. Their ability to appreciate a mb is even higher than the general population, believe it or not. After the initial laughter dies down come serious questions. Not right away, but after a few minutes, people start crowding around my bike. Where did you get this? How much did it cost? How fast does it go? How can I get me one? Actually they love my bike, but some are afraid to admit it.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
such a great read an thread here , the fact that all of us are driven to build the next one better than the last one , an that these lil machines have their short comings , honestly makes them true reflections of their builders . example, whithout my coffee an a hour to wake up an my lil aches an pains somedays things dont happen too fast , my bikes have their lil fits an quirks an seeming personalities / moods as well.
preety sure we all can identify.
Gary

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I haven't got to the point where I can ride my first build yet, but I truly can't wait to do it. It might be ugly to many people, but those that know I am building it thinks it is great.

Like many here many (40) years ago I put playing card on my bike to pretend it was a motorcycle. Did all kind of crazy things on bike then and built a few then out of parts from other bikes that got scraped. Then as a teen I had a mini bike that was just fast enough to be dangerous, but I never got real hurt on it. Next I bought a old Ducati that was all in pieces that I never did get put back together. Went into the military and didn't own a motorcycle till I got back state side in Arizona. Got rid of it when I came back to Michigan.

Then two years ago I saw one of the kits and was intrigued by it, but didn't buy one then. Then my best friend I work with showed me a picture of a guys build that got into the Hot Rod car magazine under readers builds. This got both of us interested in doing one.

Again I can't wait to ride it, I'm sure to have a big grin plastered across my face like that boy way back when with a playing card acting like he had a motor. .shft.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I know my friends, I know how we all feel about our bikes. It's a great feeling. Not everyone understands, but if they're lucky someday they will.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Funny side note. Years back I was talking to one of our Canadian brethren about "why a MB" and the (in my case) putting baseball cards in the spokes with cloths pins came up as a kid so it sounded like a motor bike. He replied that he had done the same only with hockey cards.

Just kinda cracked me up. Ya know there is some future MBer out there with Pokemon cards in their spokes.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It's a love for bicycles since early childhood that never goes away......a fountain of youth in many ways. Motors and wheels.......and especially two-wheels has always been a fascination as well as a great part of my life. Whether it be a 2-stroke, 4-stroke or electric, it just adds to the diversity of rolling along quite effortlessly.

Here is a pic of the last 2-stroke I built for myself

Then I converted it to a 4-stroke

I just gave it to one of my sons and this is how it looks now

It will get a 49cc HS 4-stroke on it again, but he's enjoying it as is for the time being. He hand built the coffin shaped rear seat for his girlfriend and they're having a blast on the old aluminum framed beach cruiser to this day (turkeyday 2012).

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It's a love for bicycles since early childhood that never goes away......a fountain of youth in many ways.
Scotto knows. A fountain of youth. That's high level knowledge.

I have friends younger than me that don't ride, that seem like old men. Do they not ride because they're old, or are they old because they don't ride?

They think I'm like a big kid, and they're minds are so old, they can't remember that's a good thing.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I keep pondering the attraction of motor bicycles. I mean why a motor bicycle instead of a motorcycle? Motorcycles would seem to be a better choice. They're faster, and you'd think more practical.

I've had my favorite motorcycle for almost 25 years, and it's always been dear to me, but the Atomic BB after only 2 years seems more personal. I'm sure some of that is because I built it from the ground up, but that doesn't explain the whole equation. In 25 years, I've rebuilt my Sportster 3 times, and customized it zillions.

I'm starting to think that maybe the secret attraction to MBs has something to do with horses. Horse's are high maintenance, but cowboy's always form a strong bond with their horse. Motorcycles are often referred to as steel horses, but can a horse go 130 mph? Actually if you compare the two, a motor bicycle is closer to a horse than a motorcycle. A china girl is probably less than 3 hp. A motorcycle is like a whole herd of horses. I don't think you're going to be as attached to a whole herd as much as 2 or 3 horses.

Nowadays motorcycles are dependable and powerful, like cars. Horses on the other hand are fragile creatures. They can get sick. They can fall down and break a leg, or go lame. They can be temperamental. It takes a while to get anywhere on one. You have to take care of your horse. Sounds kind of familiar doesn't it?

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think biknut is on to something. Like a horse, your motorbike needs you. if you take it to a bicycle shop or a motorcycle shop for maintenance, they won't help.
Also like a horse, your motorbike is unique. Nobody has a motorbike exactly like yours unless you bought a complete motorbike from a vendor.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sing to "Wanted Dead Or Alive" by BON JOVI:

"I'm a cowboy
On a aluminum horse I ride
I'm wanted
(Wanted)
to turn that thing off
Wanted
(Wanted)
to turn that thing off

When I ride these streets
A loaded six pack on my back
I play for keeps
'Cause I might not make it back
(chain fell off)

I've been everywhere
(Ohh, yea)
Still I'm standin' tall
I've seen a million faces
And I've annoyed them all
(Muffler fell off)

'Cause I'm a cowboy
On a aluminum horse I ride
I'm wanted
(Wanted)
To turn that thing off
Turn that thing off...."

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think biknut is on to something. Like a horse, your motorbike needs you. if you take it to a bicycle shop or a motorcycle shop for maintenance, they won't help.
Also like a horse, your motorbike is unique. Nobody has a motorbike exactly like yours unless you bought a complete motorbike from a vendor.
That's true. Every motor bicycle is different. Harley's are close to that, because everyone buys crap to customize theirs, but they all start out the same, and from across the street most models look about the same. As a matter of fact it's gotten hard to even tell a *** bike from a Harley from across the street.

I never really wanted to name any of my motorcycles, but most horses are named, and I've named all my motor bicycles. Naming a MB seems like a natural thing to do. I've had my Sportster almost 25 years, and I've never once wanted to name it.