Shop Heaters

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Just ordered myself a shop heater so I can work on the bike this winter and not freeze my back side off...

Got one of those Mr. Heater Propane Convection Heater — 80,000 BTU, Model# MH80CV.

Key Specs
Category Type: Convection heat
Needs Direct Venting: No
Regulator Included: Yes
Heating Capability (sq. ft.): 1,900
BTU Output: 80,000
Clearance from Corner (in.): 48
Clearance from Rear Wall (in.): 48
Clearance from Side Wall (in.): 48
Thermostat Included: No
Fuel Consumption (gal./hr.): 14 hrs. on a 20-lb. tank
Igniter: Piezo push-button ignition
Oxygen Depletion Sensor: No
Remote Included: No
Dimensions L x W x H (in.): 16 x 13 x 20 1/2
Manufacturer Warranty: 6 months parts / 3 months labor
Ship Weight: 21.0 lbs

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This is a word of advice I really would like you to take heed of. I kew someone who had a propane heater in his garage and placed, without thinking, a can of petrol in front of it. It got hot, blew, and burnt him almost to death. Freddy Krueger isn't and eggaggeration, it's realistic makeup.

Watch where you put things near an intense heat source like that.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
This is a word of advice I really would like you to take heed of. I kew someone who had a propane heater in his garage and placed, without thinking, a can of petrol in front of it. It got hot, blew, and burnt him almost to death. Freddy Krueger isn't and eggaggeration, it's realistic makeup.

Watch where you put things near an intense heat source like that.
I'm willing to bet it was one of those torpedo heaters which I will not own because of stuff like that. This one is just like one of those Kerosene Heaters that doesn't have a fan unit in them. It only radiates heat off of it, but yes I will keep all flammables away from it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looks cool Draco.

I am toying with the idea of making one that has a sort of horizontal windmill sort of thing like you see as decorations for candles. Larger and over a camp stove diffuser.

Ran out of summer and cash building a shop in the back yard.

Dang Ludwig. Poor guy. Pain and disfigurement. Ya just scared me pretty good.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
kind of scary using any fuel-burning device in a small enclosed area,add a fresh air source,regardless how safe you think it may be.
evaporating fuel,paint fumes,solvents can all be an explosion hazard.

that heater cranks out a lot of heat,i see its quite hungry when operated wide open.
i just fefilled my bbq tank,it was 23.00
keeping my garage warm-well above freezing costs me 100.00/month in hydro.3800 watt heater on low.
i started it up last week,to keep humidity down.it hardly runs right now.

just play safe.

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
kind of scary using any fuel-burning device in a small enclosed area,add a fresh air source,regardless how safe you think it may be.
evaporating fuel,paint fumes,solvents can all be an explosion hazard.

that heater cranks out a lot of heat,i see its quite hungry when operated wide open.
i just fefilled my bbq tank,it was 23.00
keeping my garage warm-well above freezing costs me 100.00/month in hydro.3800 watt heater on low.
i started it up last week,to keep humidity down.it hardly runs right now.

just play safe.
My garage is in no way air tight so I'm not really worried about fresh air, but will make sure some can get in.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Get a cheap carbon monoxide detector and put it in your work area.

When I did ductwork it new homes under construction those heaters were the norm. during the winter months.

We used to heat up our lunches on top of those things and I melted several pairs of boots and gloves trying to dry them out getting too close to the heater.

The bottle should be kept outside the building. Propane is heavier than air.
Any leaks will flow across the floor and find the flame. Dangerous stuff indoors.
It should work great, just don't go boom.
TiM

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Get a cheap carbon monoxide detector and put it in your work area.

When I did ductwork it new homes under construction those heaters were the norm. during the winter months.

We used to heat up our lunches on top of those things and I melted several pairs of boots and gloves trying to dry them out getting too close to the heater.

The bottle should be kept outside the building. Propane is heavier than air.
Any leaks will flow across the floor and find the flame. Dangerous stuff indoors.
It should work great, just don't go boom.
TiM
That is a good reason why you should check your gas connection with liquid soap to make sure there is no leaks. Always be safe when using anything with heat and gas or flammable liquids of any type.

Number one safety rule use your gray mater between your ears.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've had this little natural gas Modine for almost 30 years. It was at my old house and I brought it with me when we moved here. That was 22 years ago. I don't remember the BTU rating on it and the data plate is no longer legible but it will keep my garage at any temp I want even on the coldest days. The problem isn't the air temp as much as the concrete floor. It gets cold and doesn't warm very easy no matter how warm the garage is.
Wear warm socks.

Tom

Attachments

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
I use a kerosene torpedo heater..think is a 50,000 btu , I MUST have the door cracked or window a bit open or I'll be found lying on the floor. LOL , Man that think stinks. I'm thinkin about a propane torpedo heater. I like the blower on the torpedo's. Let us know how the convection type works. Thanks.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
we use varsol in the kerosene in the reddy heater.smells less than kerosene.
jet "A" aviation fuel works too.

we were doing tongue and groove siding on a vaulted ceiling,even with ventilation we got gassed pretty bad.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
you are going to nice and warm with that i used to use a 80,000 watt diesel torpedo to heat the 4 car i was working in and as long as it didnt huff it was fine i kept the back end out under the door

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
you are going to nice and warm with that i used to use a 80,000 watt diesel torpedo to heat the 4 car i was working in and as long as it didnt huff it was fine i kept the back end out under the door
With the 80,000 BTU I should only need it that high to heat the garage up and then turn it down to maintain the heat. Plus I think you can even bring down the heat output even more by closing the propane valve some.