China flying horse makes a tingy/pingy sound at high rpms?

GoldenMotor.com

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
Seems to be making this tingy sound at high rpm's when I'm WOT. Should I be worried? I could only find one post on this.. I dont think its the chain.. sounds mechanical in the engine perhaps?

Just scared I will kill the engine somehow.. just started doing this on my way to work today.

Also, not sure if this is part of it or not, but I was really hard starting this morning, had to go roughly 100 yards and a few tries before the engine would engage..
Also, maybe 600km of use...

Last edited:

MeniacleMechanic

Sep 4, 2012
Virginia Beach Virginia
Ive had my cheap chinese engine kit on my bike for awhile, even ripped apart and rebuilt the lil bastard twice. Im at 912 miles....

What i noticed in mine while it was apart was the needle bearing and the wrist pin were wearing out and had some side to side motion which makes my engine make ticking and clicking noises while running. It fads in and out depending on how im riding. Its been doing it for a long time, probably 500 miles or so.

Doesnt really bother me too much, but i just ordered a new piston, rings and wristpin and the bearing. Imma see if i can fix this problem.

Not starting is a different animal tho...

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
I sure hope I can get more than 900 miles before I have to rebuild my engine. Just puttering around I have put 200 on it already. I haven't done any good trips yet.

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
It's different for every kit from what I'm reading. I have about 800 on mine, and have already rebuilt the top-end, and rebuilt the clutch and sprocket assembly. Both were due to stock parts failing.

It was about 45 degrees outside this morning, and it took me a bit to start. About three tries and then just pedaling until the engine kicked in.

I also have pinging and stuff, but I have been unable to find the source. I checked everything over when I rebuilt the top end about a 150 miles ago and nothing was worn or broken with the bearing or crank.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
i have a 48cc that makes that noise too, other than that it runs great. Im not sure why it does that, it's a bit bothersome so when I hear it I back off the throttle a bit. It has always done this and I have about 3,000 miles on the engine

MeniacleMechanic

Sep 4, 2012
Virginia Beach Virginia
It's different for every kit from what I'm reading. I have about 800 on mine, and have already rebuilt the top-end, and rebuilt the clutch and sprocket assembly. Both were due to stock parts failing.

It was about 45 degrees outside this morning, and it took me a bit to start. About three tries and then just pedaling until the engine kicked in.

I also have pinging and stuff, but I have been unable to find the source. I checked everything over when I rebuilt the top end about a 150 miles ago and nothing was worn or broken with the bearing or crank.

Yea, each motor has its own problems. Ive learned how to fix everything quickly tho.

I like rebuilding my engine tho, gives me a chance to clean it out, check tolerances and engine wear. Regrease things, replace the seals.... kinda like an overhaul. Because im not gonna lie, I push my bike to the limit. Constantly tuning and tweaking this or that.

Just hit 950. in a couple days the new piston, rings, wristpin, bearing, and gaskets arrive. Ive made my own head gasket three times already. Plus the wrist pin is worn down and bearing worn, making slop in the piston stroke......Making noises....
Time for a parts interchange, cylinder is next. all new compression chamber = better performance.

desertdan

Sep 12, 2012
Colorado
My little 49cc started making a high rpm pinging noise today too after a 20 mile ride, no loss of power though i think it may be the main bearing going out.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
My race bike was 'pinging' really bad when it got hot, so I mixed some high octane gas & it helped a bit; but I eventually had to add a extra thick head gasket to completely get rid of the noise.

Also... It was 107 degrees at Bairds race last Saturday, & the engine ran strong & fast all day without any problems. :)

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
If you need the compression for the take offs then try retarding the timing or a richer jet. Retarding timing would probable be the best because it will actually make you go a little faster at high rpm and you wont even be able to notice what it takes off of your low end.
Just be careful when messing with the timing.
(not so much of advice for Venice because I am sure he knows all of this but just good to through it out there.)

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
If you need the compression for the take offs then try retarding the timing or a richer jet. Retarding timing would probable be the best because it will actually make you go a little faster at high rpm and you wont even be able to notice what it takes off of your low end.
Just be careful when messing with the timing.
(not so much of advice for Venice because I am sure he knows all of this but just good to through it out there.)
And what is the easiest way to retard the timing on these engines sir,I dont see any adjustment?