Kit Suggestion Needed

GoldenMotor.com

BSBusekist

Sep 4, 2012
Nebraska
Hello, I'm new to the forum and would like to start my first build, but I need some advice on which engine kit to buy. I don't know much about the motorized bicycle scene and I figured the people of this forum would!

-I would like a reasonably dependable engine in case I want to drive it to work and school most of the week.
-I live in Nebraska so I think it has to be no more than 50cc and 2:confused: HP.
-I would like it to be a 2-stroke since I'm familiar with them.
-Finally I would like to spend around $200, but I can spend a bit more for a more reliable engine.

Since this will be my first build, I would prefer reliability over performance.

Thanks for reading and I'd appreciate all responses and ideas!

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
This is the second post I've responded to in 2 days on the subject of a reliable kit for $200.

When looking for a kit and being a first time builder, ask your self some questions. 1. What is my mechanical ability? 2. Do you know how or are willing to work on small engines, bicycles and capable of manufacturing parts. 3. Do you have tools or have access to tools? 4. Are you willing to listen to others advice? 5. Are you willing to do some research and ask questions? 6. What does your State and or local jurisdiction allow you to operate? 7. Does your State require licensing or registration? 8. Are you able to make repairs or willing to spend money on constant maintenance? 9. Is reliability important? 10. Can you wait longer and save money for a better product?

With that in mind for $200 a 2 stroke the only kit that cheap is going to be a Happy Time (HT) or China Girl 48cc/66cc 2 stroker that will need some fine tuning and adjustments to be reliable until something needs to be replaced - something always needs replacing or an adjustment. Those kits are not bolt on and go. That's why some people have problems with the kits.

If you mechanically inclined and have access to tools you might be able to build a low cost friction drive system with a weedeater engine. But a friction kit is going to cost more than $200. Here's a setup from forum member mapbike, demonstrating what is possible if you want a simple friction drive:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=33199

I suggest you look at the different projects by searching the forum.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Hello! Welcome to the forums!

To be honest their is no best 2 stroke kit, they are all a crap shoot. My 2 stroke grubee right out of the box wouldnt start up! I had to replace the magneto and rotor. The kits are made in China with low quality parts, several parts need to be replaced right out of the box such as the fuel line, chain, engine hardware kit (screws and bolts), and if you get a kit with a CNS V2 carburetor you will have to replace that for a NT or Dax RT carburetor.

I just sold off my 2 stroke kit and saved up some more money and bought a Huasheng 142f 4 stroke kit for $375. My advice is to save up and buy a 4 stroke kit since you said you want reliability and transportation to work.

You say that you want a motorized bike to ride to work, i would say buy a goped if you want to ride to work they are very reliable and not complicated.

Good luck on your build,

Chad