nt carb question

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have had a time to get a 66cc running right and it's brand new.I just want to know if it is still possible for a air leak if you get it running and put the choke on an it dies?I always was under the impression that means no leaks right.It's a nt carb.Just thinking the carb slide barrel is not going all the way down.A carb defect maybe.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm confused. But, if the engine is idling, even above idle and you close the choke, the engine should die. It will be starved of one of the three essentials, 'air'. If you're asking 'should it die?. Yes. If it doesn't, then you have an air leak somewhere.
Does that answer your question, or help?
Tom

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Great you answered it.It's idling kinda high can't seem get it down,but it does die when I put choke on.where I'm getting at is it's not a air leak then... I think the slide barrel is not going down far enough.I just bought a speed carb about 2 weeks ago from a ebay seller cheap so I'll try it.Thanks

Last edited:

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
2door Thanks again!
I put the speed carb on with the o ring and it ran perfect and finally can adjust idle.The NT carb that came with the kit something about the barrel slide or spring,cylinder was not letting it slide go all the way down.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Your throttle cable may not be long enough or your throttle side cable adjustment may be out to far.
Take out the set nut on the cable in to the carb and screw it back in without it, or loosen the set nut on the throttle side and turn the whole L part in more.

Bottom line is if you can't adjust the carb idle then the cable is holding it open.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
That's an good idea didn't think of that.I will try that if I have to use the carb again.I wish I would have known that before I changed it.I wouldn't got all sweaty.It's hot here.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
My simple rule of thumb for throttle cables is build and test ride with some slack in the throttle cable, adjust the idle set screw to perfect, then take out the slack in the cable with the cable adjustments at the carb or the throttle itself.

One more note on throttle grips...
If the throttle don't snap right back to idle from full on it don't pass, I actually get a little anal about that because I feel it's so important.

I use a Q-tip dipped in All Purpose Grease and give the sides of the inside of the throttle housing (between the black housing and white wheel that winds in the cable) and the handlebar where the throttle barrel rides when I have it apart to drill the set pin hole.

That should set on the right path ;-}

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I never think of those simple things like that when I need too.That I will remember about the throttle.Good advice!!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Your welcome Wan ;-}
When I very first started I looked here for advice and it really helped me.
Since then I developed my own 'tips and tricks' so I give back to the community here when I can.

At the moment I'm a bit too impaired to do real wrench turning (broken collar bone) but I can use the computer pretty easy so that's what I am doing ;-}

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
That's great the you can at least use the computer but,sorry to hear you are injury ed what happen?I have learned alot from here.Thanks to nice people on here.I would be lost if it wasn't for all of you guys on here.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Aww, I'm OK, far from my first serious injury, just a determent to production when I can't even break a tough part free or get it as tight as I want let alone pick up a bike and flip it over.

Well I could if my life depended on it but hey, why ya know?

Take a tip from an old man that played too hard and got hurt a lot...
You may heal quick when you are young but when you get older every one of those old injuries come back to haunt you and new ones just don't heal as fast so PROTECT YOURSELF!

No **** guys, screw looking cool and manly, protect your body.